Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #61
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
I have been a member for a long time and in my experience, the interest of the community comes and goes in waves... when iRex announced the iLiad, it was all about the iLiad. Then came Sony and the discussion shifted to the Reader. And then there was the Cybook, again, a shift in focus. If there has ever been a bias then it's always been a very short-lived one.
** stands ready at the busstop, waiting for the next bandwagon to hop onto.... **
Old 08-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #62
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
However, everyone has opinions, and even if opinions and beliefs are polar opposite, there is still a modicum or respect. I do not recall seeing any blatant name-calling or lineage-bashing, and that goes to show what kind of adult and mature members this forum has.
That's why I come here. I've been an IRC op, a moderator, or admin at many places over the years, and this place is generally so laid back in comparison. Hell, I was just checking in on a place I op before looking back over here, and had to deal with 3 different troublemakers.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #63
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
That's why I come here. I've been an IRC op, a moderator, or admin at many places over the years, and this place is generally so laid back in comparison. Hell, I was just checking in on a place I op before looking back over here, and had to deal with 3 different troublemakers.
L3m3e gu3$$, 7h3Y @[] $p@k ]!k3 +h!$
Old 08-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #64
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
more txt, less 1337. Add in a dash (read large serving) of mental retardation.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:02 PM   #65
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Just to add to kaas's helpful comment: at the very bottom of this page there is a "Contact Us" button. You can use it to report a thread which you believe is worth front-page news coverage.
Really? When I hover over it, I see "Report Post"...I always thought that button was for reporting spam (or hate speak, or something else that's bad).
Old 08-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #66
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Really? When I hover over it, I see "Report Post"...I always thought that button was for reporting spam (or hate speak, or something else that's bad).
At the very bottom of the page is the "contact us" link.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #67
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
the "report post" button (to the left of every post, next to the karma button) can be used for reporting anything that needs moderator attention. so, spam / hate speech, etc. yes, definitely, but also possible front-page news, or requests to move a thread which was accidentally posted to the wrong forum, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
and there is also that option.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #68
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I think having Reps here is a good thing, though I think they should be moderated heavely.

IMHO, Mobileread is (relativley) unbiased, but the occassional person's continual rant about their product in an open and public forum would be better if it were limited.

The Fleamarket section does not allow commertial posts, and I think that promotional consideration should be limited to 1) News and commentary and 2) Specific threads / forums for the devices.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #69
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Old 08-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #70
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaopanda View Post
I think having Reps here is a good thing, though I think they should be moderated heavely.

IMHO, Mobileread is (relativley) unbiased, but the occassional person's continual rant about their product in an open and public forum would be better if it were limited.

The Fleamarket section does not allow commertial posts, and I think that promotional consideration should be limited to 1) News and commentary and 2) Specific threads / forums for the devices.
I agree. I'd love to be able to ask reader-specific questions to a Sony or Amazon rep. I also think it should be mandatory for any rep to state publicly, in their sig, that they are indeed a rep of Company XX.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:07 AM   #71
ahammer
cybershark
ahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it is

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaopanda View Post
1) News and commentary and 2) Specific threads / forums for the devices.
I would say this seems right to me.. the only times I think robertb steped out of line was when he was posting in threads about other products. I dont think he step out to much but I for one would be ok with this kind of ruling.

o and any one can post in the madness that is the Lounge.

that all being said I still feel that astek is being under covered. not by much but still seems to be a bit less that sony/amazon for what seems to me by comments made by people that own them a product that is just as good as anything the other companys have put out.

ie there have been 3 sony story's in the last 2 week and only one of astek.
that would be ok if that all had different content but really they could just be two. ((and it was news that the sony was up for pre-order.. but not asteks.))

so I think it is a bit off but not much. if the story about asteks ppro made the home page I would have said there was no issue here.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:42 AM   #72
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
I have used that button just a few days ago to report a front-page-worthy comment and - lo and behold - in 20 minutes there was a sparkling new front page article.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:19 AM   #73
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
I will try my best to make this my last post on this subject, because going on will just add to the resentment, but I have to speak up this time.

If MR does not want this forum to be a sales platform, then whey did MR not stop RobertB when he posted his very first Astak thread (you know, that thread which just keeps going and going and going?), when it was quite clear that he was pitching his product? Again, I have to repeat what I said in my previous post---moderators have the power. They can't just let something happen and then later on "whine" about that something that they let happen. If MR policies are clear about acceptable activities, then nip the thing in the bud decisively when you see something which is not acceptable by MR standards. Whining about it later on in the game does not look good---after all, you didn't do anything about it in the first place.

Another thing I want to point out is that, by allowing RobertB to freely post in these forums, to interact and discuss with MR members and answer their numerous questions and even tolerate not-so-polite doubters, he has made a considerable investment of his time and effort to MR members and vice versa. I don't think this has been considered thoroughly in these discussions nor how such an investment from both sides can change dynamics in a forum (e.g. friendships and loyalties can arise).

Finally, what's up with this business of cherry-picking posts from another thread and transferring them to this thread? In my opinion, doing this is a big blunder.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:11 AM   #74
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
If MR does not want this forum to be a sales platform, then whey did MR not stop RobertB when he posted his very first Astak thread (you know, that thread which just keeps going and going and going?), when it was quite clear that he was pitching his product?
Do you mean the first time RobertB posted in the Astak thread or the first time he began to spread his propganda in threads discussing competing products?

Quote:
They can't just let something happen and then later on "whine" about that something that they let happen.
You leave out the regular members who started to whine about it (oh, and funny you say whine, I see whiners, too, here, but they are coming from the opposite direction). Hasn't it occured to you that some users found Robertb's increasing enthusiasm spread all over the forum annoying and thus reported it to the moderators?

Quote:
Finally, what's up with this business of cherry-picking posts from another thread and transferring them to this thread? In my opinion, doing this is a big blunder.
What you refer to as cherry-picking and big blunder is called moderation. This discussion has zero to do with news. The fact that these posts were moved out of the Astak thread shows the excellent job this moderation team has been doing. They saved the Astak thread from becoming a place for whiners and complainers.

I know it's hard, but get a grip on yourself!
Old 08-13-2009, 04:52 AM   #75
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Alright, I believe we have heard everyone's opinion on this matter. Rest assured, we take your opinions seriously and continue to work hard on improving the community.

If you feel there is still something that needs to be mentioned, don't hesitate to contact me directly at via message.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 08-13-2009 at 05:59 AM.
Closed Thread