Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
maestroc
maestroc began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Does Sigil filter/strip out any epub3 code when saving?

I am using a music notation program called Finale 2012 to create an epub3 document filled with various pieces of sheet music. When this raw document is uploaded to Amazon for publishing it looks great in the online previewer except that there is no Table of Contents included (Finale 2012 does not provide that capability). All of the sheet music glyphs look the way they are supposed to.

The problem is that when I edit the raw epub file and add anything to the TOC, even as simple as changing the Title of the one existing TOC entry (using Sigil to do the editing) all of the sheet music turns into garbage characters once converted to MOBI. The only thing I am doing is adding navpoints such as these (there are 21 nav points in all):

This is an example of the toc.ncx after I have edited it (additional navpoint entries have been removed for space):

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<ncx xmlns:ncx="http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx/"
    xmlns="http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx/"
    version="2005-1"
    xml:lang="en">
    <head>
        <meta name="dtb:uid" content="http://example.org/dummy/URIstub/"/>
        <meta name="dtb:depth" content="1"/>
        <meta name="dtb:totalPageCount" content="0"/>
        <meta name="dtb:maxPageNumber" content="0"/>
    </head>
    <docTitle>
        <text>My Book Title</text>
    </docTitle>
    <navMap>
        <navPoint id="p1" playOrder="1">
            <navLabel>
                <text>Song Title 1</text>
            </navLabel>
            <content src="Text/p004.html"/>

</navPoint>
        <navPoint id="p2" playOrder="2">
            <navLabel>
                <text>Song Title 2</text>
            </navLabel>
            <content src="Text/p005.html"/>

</navPoint>
    </navMap>
</ncx>
When I view the edited epub in Calibre it looks correct and the TOC works properly. It is only when that same edited epub is uploaded the Kindle previewer shows garbage.

Does Sigil strip out any code that Finale might be putting into the epub3 document when it saves?
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I can provide additional code from the epub if needed.
maestroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:27 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Sigil is an ePUB2 editor, not ePUB3. Although work is being done to support ePUB3, it is not there yet. A lot of specific ePUB3 stuff will be removed.

If I recall correctly, the toc.ncx is not an ePUB3 item anymore. It may be there for compatibility, but it is not part of the specs anymore.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestroc View Post
I am using a music notation program called Finale 2012 to create an epub3 document filled with various pieces of sheet music. When this raw document is uploaded to Amazon for publishing it looks great in the online previewer except that there is no Table of Contents included (Finale 2012 does not provide that capability). All of the sheet music glyphs look the way they are supposed to.

The problem is that when I edit the raw epub file and add anything to the TOC, even as simple as changing the Title of the one existing TOC entry (using Sigil to do the editing) all of the sheet music turns into garbage characters once converted to MOBI. The only thing I am doing is adding navpoints such as these (there are 21 nav points in all):

This is an example of the toc.ncx after I have edited it (additional navpoint entries have been removed for space):

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<ncx xmlns:ncx="http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx/"
    xmlns="http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx/"
    version="2005-1"
    xml:lang="en">
    <head>
        <meta name="dtb:uid" content="http://example.org/dummy/URIstub/"/>
        <meta name="dtb:depth" content="1"/>
        <meta name="dtb:totalPageCount" content="0"/>
        <meta name="dtb:maxPageNumber" content="0"/>
    </head>
    <docTitle>
        <text>My Book Title</text>
    </docTitle>
    <navMap>
        <navPoint id="p1" playOrder="1">
            <navLabel>
                <text>Song Title 1</text>
            </navLabel>
            <content src="Text/p004.html"/>

</navPoint>
        <navPoint id="p2" playOrder="2">
            <navLabel>
                <text>Song Title 2</text>
            </navLabel>
            <content src="Text/p005.html"/>

</navPoint>
    </navMap>
</ncx>
When I view the edited epub in Calibre it looks correct and the TOC works properly. It is only when that same edited epub is uploaded the Kindle previewer shows garbage.

Does Sigil strip out any code that Finale might be putting into the epub3 document when it saves?
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I can provide additional code from the epub if needed.
If you just want to add toc to your epub try using epub fixer it will just add a toc and not touch the code itself so you shoud be able to get what you want
without putting it thru sigil
https://code.google.com/p/epubfixer/
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Sigil is an ePUB2 editor, not ePUB3. Although work is being done to support ePUB3, it is not there yet. A lot of specific ePUB3 stuff will be removed.

If I recall correctly, the toc.ncx is not an ePUB3 item anymore. It may be there for compatibility, but it is not part of the specs anymore.
The spec specifically permits a toc.ncx for compatibility. Its use should still pass ePub check for ePub 3.0

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Does mobi use toc.ncx or just an html index?
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Does mobi use toc.ncx or just an html index?
the format for mobi only uses an html index and it requires a special identifier so that the program can find it. However the Kindle conversion program does use the toc.ncx file to provide the chapter markers found in the progress bar. Once the conversion is made the toc.ncx is not used.

Dale
Old 10-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Once the conversion is made the toc.ncx is not used.
Maybe that's true from a strictly semantic point of view (mobi and nothing but the mobi), but certain newer Kindle devices can certainly make use of an NCX "view" after using the kindle conversion program. Fully navigable and nestable just like epub. Technically a different format (KF8), yes, but since you can't NOT create the newer KF8 portion of the mobi with Amazon's official tools... things start to get a little blurry.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-25-2012 at 01:42 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Maybe that's true from a strictly semantic point of view (mobi and nothing but the mobi), but newer Kindle devices can certainly make use of the NCX after using the kindle conversion program. Fully navigable and nestable just like epub. Technically a different format (KF8), yes, but since you can't NOT create the newer KF8 portion of the mobi with Amazon's official tools... things start to get a little blurry.
Actually if you pick a target device that does not support KF8 then it won't create one, I believe. MOBI is certainly not KF8 although they use the same container format (check our wiki for details).

Dale
Old 10-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
No, the target device has no bearing on the file that KindlePreviewer ultimately creates. It, and the command-line kindlegen both build the joint MOBI/KF8 exclusively, now. Thanks for the wiki pointer, but I have a fairly decent grasp of MOBI/KF8 and the PRC container details.

I was just pointing out that while you're right -- the mobi format itself makes no use of the NCX file past conversion -- users are no longer able to create an ebook in "just the mobi format" with Amazon's latest toolset. Hence: they may as well get used to the idea that NCX files are going to be increasingly "used" by devices that utilize kindle/amazon formats.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-25-2012 at 02:01 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I was wondering if his problem had anything to with EPUB3 at all? I do notice that the Sigil head is different from his and that he is pointing off onto the web.

Could these be issues?
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote