Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: March 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers? by Mary Roach 14 18.42%
The Omnivore's Delimma by Michael Pollan 2 2.63%
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot 3 3.95%
Quirkology: How We Discover the Big Truths in Small Things by Richard Wiseman 10 13.16%
American Notes by Charles Dickens 7 9.21%
A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn 8 10.53%
A History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell 4 5.26%
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson 14 18.42%
The World Without Us by Alan Weisman 2 2.63%
On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin 3 3.95%
The Stranger Beside Me by Anne Rule 3 3.95%
The Greek Myths by Robert Graves 6 7.89%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #31
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
"Torn between The Devil and American Notes"

Which album was that on?
That's actually the name of my emo band*. The album title was "The Ghost Map of Oliver Twist."

*unfortunately not true
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #32
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I've been hearing/reading lots of good things about 'The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.'

So far I'm the only vote for it though.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #33
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I've been hearing/reading lots of good things about 'The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.'

So far I'm the only vote for it though.
The only place I can find it in the UK has it for £33.54, which is a bit rich for me
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #34
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
The only place I can find it in the UK has it for £33.54, which is a bit rich for me

Ouch! That's robbery!

I understand the lack of votes then. Maybe later when the price comes down.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #35
arvsinha
Intrepid Explorer
arvsinha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quirkology!
Quirkology!!
Quirkology !!!
Looked so interesting. Just went ahead and got a copy for myself.
From what I have read - Very Interesting.
arvsinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 01:01 AM   #36
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Stiff!
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:14 AM   #37
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I checked on Amazon, and this e-book is not available for customers in Australia.

Is that the price for the e-book?
Old 03-03-2010, 01:16 AM   #38
lene1949
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvsinha View Post
Quirkology!
Quirkology!!
Quirkology !!!
Looked so interesting. Just went ahead and got a copy for myself.
From what I have read - Very Interesting.
This would have been my choice as well, except it's not available to me - unless, of course, I go and get it for free...
Old 03-03-2010, 03:32 AM   #39
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I checked on Amazon, and this e-book is not available for customers in Australia.

Is that the price for the e-book?
Yes, from direct ebooks. They seem to sometimes have access to ebooks that are otherwise geo restricted, but this kind of price seems counter-productive to me. I think that offering books at a price nobody will pay is probably worse for business than pruning the catalogue.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:14 AM   #40
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Perhaps $32 would be a better price...
http://www.cyberread.com/The-Immorta...ecca/id344114/

So far, I haven't had issues with geo restrictions at cyberread.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:17 AM   #41
Ben Thornton
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Perhaps $32 would be a better price...
http://www.cyberread.com/The-Immorta...ecca/id344114/

So far, I haven't had issues with geo restrictions at cyberread.
Thanks for that - I will check them out too in future. Still seems a bit pricey, but it's at least in line with the hardback price.

Still not found Quirkology or World Without Us anywhere.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:29 AM   #42
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Thanks for that - I will check them out too in future. Still seems a bit pricey, but it's at least in line with the hardback price.
You can get a 40% off a purchase coupon in return for writing an approved review:
http://www.cyberread.com/book-reviews

The approval process takes a few days, but it's a quite good offer.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #43
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Could we change On The Origin of Species to reflect the actual name of the book?

Thanks!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #44
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Could we change On The Origin of Species to reflect the actual name of the book?

Thanks!
Only if you tell me what the "actual" name is.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #45
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Ummm... On the Origin of Species...

No second "the" and starts with "On."
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote