Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Sideloading books on Kobo.
EPUB 37 28.24%
KEPUB 96 73.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2018, 08:59 PM   #16
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf View Post
For side loading ebooks on a Kobo, and using Calibre, do you convert to kepub? I saw that you only get reading stats with kepub, but you also get the book title at the top which takes up some valuable real estate. The latest firmware also has an ePub error at the top of the screen.

Pluses and minuses of each appreciated, and do you have a preference on which file type you use?
You can see the same Stats with ePub. I Not see a Book title on top of the page in the 3000+ ebooks I have & read. Where ever you got this information its Wrong.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:01 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
You can see the same Stats with ePub. I Not see a Book title on top of the page in the 3000+ ebooks I have & read. Where ever you got this information its Wrong.
There are two sets stats. One is the reading stats displayed by selecting "Activity" from the main menu. For a book, this shows how much time was spend reading the book, average session length, the pages per minute and an estimate of the time left for the book. These are available for all books. And strictly, they are available for only for the book currently being read.

The other is the in-book stats displayed for kepubs. This shows the time left for the current chapter, the expected time for the next chapter, the time to finish the book and a graph of the lengths of each chapter in the book with an indication of where you are in the book. And it is accessible without closing the book.

I am pretty sure that the in-book stats is what @Derf is referring to, but might not realise that the other set of stats are available for all book formats.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2018, 12:03 AM   #18
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I read exclusively KePub for the in book stats and the chapter page number count. I don't mind the large header--although I wouldn't miss it. The typesetting for KePubs is fine for me--it's been so long since I've read an ePub on any of my Kobos that I don't have any idea what the difference is.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:22 AM   #19
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
There are two sets stats. One is the reading stats displayed by selecting "Activity" from the main menu. For a book, this shows how much time was spend reading the book, average session length, the pages per minute and an estimate of the time left for the book. These are available for all books. And strictly, they are available for only for the book currently being read.

The other is the in-book stats displayed for kepubs. This shows the time left for the current chapter, the expected time for the next chapter, the time to finish the book and a graph of the lengths of each chapter in the book with an indication of where you are in the book. And it is accessible without closing the book.

I am pretty sure that the in-book stats is what @Derf is referring to, but might not realise that the other set of stats are available for all book formats.
I get ALL that on my ePub.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:50 AM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I get ALL that on my ePub.
No you don't. If you are getting in-book stats, then you are not reading epubs. You are reading kepubs. The in-book stats are only available for kepubs. And if you aren't seeing a title on each page, then you have patched the firmware to hide it.

If what you are doing is storing epubs in calibre and sending them to the device using the KoboTouchExtended driver, then what you are reading on the device is a kepub. Generating a kepub during the send is the purpose of the driver.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2018, 12:59 AM   #21
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Unfortunately, Adobe appears to have abandoned their own renderer in favor of readium (for epub3 and beyond), so I doubt there will ever be new features and bug fixes to the 'legacy' renderer, as used by Kobo (and Sony, and Nook, and...).
This is news to me! Where can I...er...read more about this?
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:17 AM   #22
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
EPUB only for me. I have once sent a book to the device as Kepub from Calibre by accident and my reward was that the first letter of each chapter (which had some form of a dropcap CSS on it) has disappeared. Haven't tried the Kepub since.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:34 AM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
No slot for "it doesn't matter to me?"
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:58 AM   #24
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I just sent a book as an epub to check about typography. I didn't see that much difference (it had no smallcaps), but at least in the few pages I looked through, the hyphenation was worse on the epub: "whatsoe-" and "ver" on the next line.

And I much prefer to have header and footer, and to be able to choose between number of pages per chapter or for whole book - particularly important when reading complete works, or compilation of short stories by different authors, and the graph or the chapters read and to read.

Also I read many books with notes, maps, graphs.

So all in all kepubs for me all the way

Last edited by anacreon; 07-13-2018 at 02:10 AM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:08 AM   #25
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinsky View Post
This is news to me! Where can I...er...read more about this?
Let's just say, that RMSDK 11 was released in 2014. According to the changelogs by Datalogics here, the main new feature of RMSDK 11 was integration of Readium for better epub 3 support. There appeared to be no new updates to the existing epub 2 renderer since version 10.

It is now 2018. The latest version is still 11. Adobe's ebook blog appears to have no posts after 2015. I have seen little evidence that Adobe has any plans of further developing RMSDK.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #26
kndlewis
Connoisseur
kndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watch

Device: Current Favorite: Boox Leaf
I prefer kepub, for all the reasons already mentioned. Personally, I like the pages to go in the chapter information, either displayed or available with one tap.
kndlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:29 AM   #27
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Kepub for me. I like the time-remaining-in-this-chapter feature and popup footnotes, as well as the ability to zoom images.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:07 AM   #28
radbaddude
Addict
radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I just use epub on the clara so far.
radbaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #29
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
My limited experience with epub on Kobo is that it is terrible.

Why do people not care about the gigantic footer at the bottom? The white space at the bottom is at least a full quarter of the screen. It looks awful.

Why can't I adjust line spacing on epub? A solid block of text is not aesthetically pleasing.

The only thing I don't like about kepub is the silly header.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #30
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
My limited experience with epub on Kobo is that it is terrible.

Why do people not care about the gigantic footer at the bottom? The white space at the bottom is at least a full quarter of the screen. It looks awful.

Why can't I adjust line spacing on epub? A solid block of text is not aesthetically pleasing.

The only thing I don't like about kepub is the silly header.
i'm with you completely

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote