Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-13-2017, 04:25 PM   #1
Jimbus80
Jimbus80 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Aura One disadvantages

I'm very tempted to buy an Aura One, but I'd like to hear from other owners with the latest firmware (because I guess the e-reader gets better with every update) any reasons why buying an Aura One is not a good idea.
Jimbus80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
I'm thoroughly happy with my Aura One, purchased in late January. I really like the Overdrive integration since I borrow a lot from the library.

Price could be a disadvantage if one cannot afford a premium ereader. There are less expensive options out there.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #3
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You can't comfortably use it with one hand, and unlike larger tablets like iPads, it's not that easy to hold it with two hands, either. Which, all in all, makes it a little awkward to handle.

The ambient light sensor is garbage and has never worked right for me. I've disabled it.

The way the device is built, there's a small space where the bezel meets the back cover, where dust and crumbs can and will enter. A bizarre oversight from a company who usually designs great-looking hardware.

The screen is slightly fuzzy compared to Kobo's devices with IR sensors like the H2O.

The battery life is noticeably shorter than previous Kobo devices.

It's relatively expensive.

The blue button is ugly.

Note: these are all nitpicks and I think it's a very good eReader, easily one of the best.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:53 PM   #4
crimson
In Cyberspace
crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Not to mention the lack of SD/Micro SD slot, and that it is almost impossible to read PDFs on it due to mediocre software.

Don't get me wrong. Personally, I think it's the best E-Reader that suits my need. You might like it if you don't need to read PDFs and space is not a problem for you.
crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:23 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The Aura One is definitely at a disadvantage if one wishes to put it in a back pocket; unless, of course, one is wearing a clown costume.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2017, 06:32 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
You can't comfortably use it with one hand, and unlike larger tablets like iPads, it's not that easy to hold it with two hands, either. Which, all in all, makes it a little awkward to handle.
I have to disagree. Given that it's lighter than the H2O and the H2O is very easy to hold with one hand, Id have to say that the KA1 would be easy to hold with one hand.

Do you think the KA1 not being easy to hold with one hand is due to the size? My wife has an iPad Mini 3 and it's very easy to hold with one hand and it's about the same size.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:34 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The Aura One is definitely at a disadvantage if one wishes to put it in a back pocket; unless, of course, one is wearing a clown costume.
The clown pants are for 6" Kindle's.

I think not fitting in a pants pocket is a very good advantage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:01 PM   #8
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Before getting the Aura One I was put off by a few reviews making this 'hard to hold in one hand' point. Now I have it, I think it's for me at least complete nonsense, and my hands are not large. It's as easy or easier to read the Aura 1 than a trade / airport paperback.
I dont use the ambient light sensor.
Only -ve me is that it's still a touch sluggish with page turning and dodgy with highlighting compared to the Aura HD (or kindle). That said every firmware release got better and at the current rate of imprivement just a few more weeks to reach par.
I was doubtful about buying itbut having used it I wouldnt change to anything else currently onthe market.
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #9
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbus80 View Post
I'm very tempted to buy an Aura One, but I'd like to hear from other owners with the latest firmware (because I guess the e-reader gets better with every update) any reasons why buying an Aura One is not a good idea.
It depends on what your priorities are in terms of features and stuff, and therefore what alternatives there are for you.

Some people have had battery drain issues, where the reader isn't holding its charge while asleep. If you need to utilize the full battery capacity in between charges, over several reading sessions, this could be a significant disadvantage to buying this ereader at this point in time.

If the "comfort light" is a major selling point for you, then the fact that seemingly quite a few users are not happy with the quality and consistency of the light should be concerning. Personally, I am quite disappointed with this feature - instead of a nice warm ambient colour, I have a nice distracting green blob taking up half of the screen.

If you're hoping to read PDF books with the larger screen, and if your preferences are like mine, you'll be very disappointed. I find it much easier to concentrate and lose myself in PDF books on my Kindle Voyage than on the Aura One, because the One's handling of this file format is so bad and slow that I spend a lot more effort fighting to navigate with the reader. With the Voyage I have to split each page into three segments and read in landscape mode, but it works quite reliably and responsively, so I get used to it in a short time.

I can't think of any other big problems or disadvantages with this reader. If you are looking specifically for a larger screened reader, you shouldn't be surprised if some people find it harder to hold with one hand than smaller readers. The screen isn't as responsive as other Kobo models or some Kindle models, but that shouldn't be a deal breaker for most people who are looking to purchase an Aura One.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:44 PM   #10
Jimbus80
Jimbus80 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Holly sh*t, guys, you've given to me very good reasons to wait for a newer and hopefully​ more polished version of this e-reader. I don't like 6-inches​ e-readers because I have lots of .pdf files I would like to read on the e-reader (mostly very detailed schemes with tiny fonts), but surely I would be unsatisfied if it is sluggish.

So, for me, size matters, battery not very much, text sharpness means a lot (fuzziness/blurriness is intolerable), water resistance is not important, the quality of the backlight and the comfort to be able to read at night are essential.

I thought paying 229 € for an e-reader would grant the buyer an outstanding product; but I guess it's just there are not enough alternatives to force Kobo to reduce the price or improve its product.

Thanks to all of you for your help. Better safe than sorry.
Jimbus80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:11 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@Jimbus80: If the important thing is reading PDF, you need to stick with a tablet. All the e-ink devices are low CPU power and low memory devices to give the best battery life. You won't get great PDF handling on any of them. Except maybe the 13" Sony that was around.

If you are going to wait for Kobo to improve the PDF handling, don't hold your breath. There have been no real changes in this while I have been using Kobo devices. I don't think it is a primary format for them, and hence it isn't likely to see real changes.

For the sharpness, I think you need to look at it. When I have looked at an Aura ONE in a shop, I couldn't fault the screen. I would say it was sharper that the H2O that was next to it. I didn't have another 300dpi device to compare it to, so maybe it does lack compare to them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:13 AM   #12
moorekom
Connoisseur
moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moorekom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma, Onyx Note pro.
Quote:
Holly sh*t, guys, you've given to me very good reasons to wait for a newer and hopefully​ more polished version of this e-reader. I don't like 6-inches​ e-readers because I have lots of .pdf files I would like to read on the e-reader (mostly very detailed schemes with tiny fonts), but surely I would be unsatisfied if it is sluggish.

So, for me, size matters, battery not very much, text sharpness means a lot (fuzziness/blurriness is intolerable), water resistance is not important, the quality of the backlight and the comfort to be able to read at night are essential.

I thought paying 229 € for an e-reader would grant the buyer an outstanding product; but I guess it's just there are not enough alternatives to force Kobo to reduce the price or improve its product.

When it comes to the light, the normal light has the same gradient/ unevenness as the Kindle Voyage. Just like KV, the degree differs but it is definitely there. For night light, the biggest problem is green blob or a string of bright red and green blobs at the bottom. Again, the light is uneven and the degree differs a lot.

The size is very good for pdf. I've found some pdfs are sluggish while most of them are good enough. I don't know what the factor is because file size seems not to be an issue.

The general software, when compared to kindle, lags behind a second or two. Highlighting is very bad. But I've found that that is true for all Kobo devices.

Screen resolution is Ok. But I can understand why others complain. The glass is a big factor. Side by side, the text in Kindle PW3 clearly stands out. If, in the future, we can get a 8" device with even light and the screen of Kindle PW or Kobo H2O, that would be the perfect device in my opinion. Until then, wait for a huge discount in some store nearby or wait and see if they improve these problems and then purchase it.
moorekom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:53 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:

I wouldn't just believe anyone, regarding "fuzzyness" (I've never seen it...). I think the screen is crystal clear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorekom View Post
When it comes to the light, the normal light has the same gradient/ unevenness as the Kindle Voyage. Just like KV, the degree differs but it is definitely there. For night light, the biggest problem is green blob or a string of bright red and green blobs at the bottom. Again, the light is uneven and the degree differs a lot.
Quality of backlight is perfect, again, for me. I don't see a green blob at all. There's only a slightly more orangy glow on the bottom, using the natural light. But it's not really noticeable, especially not after reading one sentence of the book.

For me, negatives are:

Highlighting is sloooooooooooooow. It's the only thing I really don't like about it.
Battery life is a bit on the short time.
It's larger, thus generally won't fit in a pocket (grasping at straws here )
Auto-brightness sucks.

Regarding reading at night: I wouldn't want any other reader anymore. Every time I see my husband's Kindle, I get blinded by the harsh blue light it emits. The natural light of the One is so much more comfortable to read with! For me, it was absolutey worth every euro I paid for it (and I've not even upgraded the firmware at all...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:15 AM   #14
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson View Post
and that it is almost impossible to read PDFs on it due to mediocre software.
With Nickel, sure, but with KOReader? No way. KOReader is completely usable.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:26 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The clown pants are for 6" Kindle's.

I think not fitting in a pants pocket is a very good advantage.

There is a twisted logic to your thinking that I can't help but.....admire.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote