Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-12-2018, 10:19 PM   #1
slowsmile
Witchman
slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android S5
Adding a Dark Theme to Sigil

I've just added a dark theme to Sigil -- see thumbnail.

If anyone else wants to try doing this then do the following:

* Go to Github with this link: QDarkStylesheet

* Copy all the css code on the GitHub page.

* Using any text editor like Notepad or TextMate create a new file on your desktop called "qt_styles.qss" and paste all the copied code into that new file and save it.

* Open Sigil and go to Plugins > Manage Plugins > Open Preferences Location and copy your new "qt_styles.qss" file into that directory.

* Restart Sigil.

Other dark themes you can try that work on Sigil:
DarkOrange
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SigilSnip.JPG
Views:	1302
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	165013  

Last edited by slowsmile; 07-13-2018 at 10:56 PM.
slowsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:28 PM   #2
arakish
arakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheese

Device: PC
Thanks a bunch. I much prefer dark themes because they are infinitely easier on the eyes. Learned this way back in 1997 when taking a web site design class. I found a Harvard study that showed this very fact. Yet, Microsoft pushed for the "paper" look as to blind us from what they are truly doing behind our monitors... ;-P

rmfr
arakish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:45 PM   #3
slowsmile
Witchman
slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@arakish...I agree with what you say but don't get too excited because there are problems with the QDarkStyleSheet plugin as you'll discover. I'm currently playing with the qss styles to see if I can lighten the black background slightly in the main tab frame so that the text is more readable in html view and text view on Sigil. I'm also looking for other qss dark themes on the inet that might also work in Sigil. I'll post links to them if I can find any.

Last edited by slowsmile; 07-12-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:07 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakish View Post
Yet, Microsoft pushed for the "paper" look as to blind us from what they are truly doing behind our monitors... ;-P
Apple and MS just copied what they saw at Parc Place when they had a look at Xerox Star. Find some screen shot images from Apple Lisa, Lisa was Wozniak's baby and it pre-dated Windows by at least 5 years, also remember MS was paying GUI design royalties to Apple.

Ooops: forgot to say thank you. slowsmile

I'll wait a bit in the hope that you overcome the glitches and/or find an acceptable alternative. For me, looking at scads of CSS code is a sure-fire anaesthetic. Even if it's front ended with a GUI, as in the calibre editor, I throw up my hands saying "Can't be bothered with this glitz-n-glamour nonsense"

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-13-2018 at 04:24 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:18 AM   #5
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Hi @slowsmile

Thanks for the information and making the css availiable.

I do not like such a dark screen but I should be able to amend it to one based on soft shades of green. From what I understand green is the easiest colour on the eyes.

I will let you know how I get on.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Apple and MS just copied what they saw at Parc Place when they had a look at Xerox Star.

BR
That was Xerox PARC (Palo Alto Research Center)
The company I worked for, built ~200 'Graphics Workstations' for internal use world wide. They used a Monochrome Display on the desk (the rest sat on the floor)
I think a goodly chunk of the Silicon Valley toyed with the idea the Star represented. Apple ran with it. Even the 1 button mouse
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:14 PM   #7
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Thank you for doing this, slowsmile. I've wanted a dark theme for Sigil ever since starting to use it.

One little detail. I seldom use the --element examiner-- (not sure if that's what it's called--the little slide-up window in the preview window), but I happened to be tracking down a little formatting problem yesterday, and mine was still open. That window was not affected by your addition.

For those who are now taking this ball and running with it, please share your results with the rest of us. I'm not completely enamored with some of the colors that showed up--but I'm working in daylight right now. I'll check back later, after dark, and see if I like it better.

Many thanks!
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:15 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Just so you "themers" all know; the next version of Sigil has added the ability to define a custom user stylesheet that is applied to Preview and Book View (which cannot be styled via the .qss file). Those with the ability to compile Sigil themselves can check it out now. The rest will have to wait (hopefully no longer than the end of July). Just create a file named "custom_preview_style.css" in your Sigil Preferences directory and add your custom css to it. Sigil will load it whenever it launches.

Just remember that you're on your own should an epub's css decide to pick a fight with your custom user css.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:42 PM   #9
slowsmile
Witchman

I can confirm what DiapDealer has said. I've been playing around and altering some values in the qss file. I've discovered that it's just not possible to change any styling in Book View which is dim and almost unreadable when you use QDarkStyleSheet. And in HTML View you can only change a few styles for just the book text like background color, foreground color and font styles. But you cannot alter the styling of any of the xml or doctype headers or html tags or anything alse. So this greatly limits what you can actually do to style your document.

See example thumbnail below where I've changed just the background color, text color and some fonts(based on QDarkStyleSheet) in Sigil's main tab frame by altering a couple of style properties in the qt_styles.qss stylesheet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	QSSDarkSky.JPG
Views:	797
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	165022  

Last edited by slowsmile; 07-13-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:46 PM   #10
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Just so you "themers" all know; the next version of Sigil has added the ability to define a custom user stylesheet that is applied to Preview and Book View ...... (hopefully no longer than the end of July). Just remember that you're on your own should an epub's css decide to pick a fight with your custom user css.
Whee...

Thanks for the info.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:48 PM   #11
arakish
arakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheesearakish can extract oil from cheese

Device: PC
@Slowsmile

Yeah I found those as soon as Sigil was restarted. Easy fix though you go into Edit > Preferences > Appearance. Not that hard.

Again, thanks.

rmfr
arakish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:41 AM   #12
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
@slowsmile
Oh, you forgot about the UI graphics.
QSS styles are unfortunately a more complicated matter
From the source link (github) you must also copy the "rc" folder to the preferences folder.

In Windows you need edit qss file and change all:
Code:
:/qss_icons
to
Code:
C:/Users/USERNAME/AppData/Local/sigil-ebook/sigil
Of course USERNAME is your folder name.

I can suspect that preparing a perfect dark theme is impossible without the help of Sigil programmers and probably some modifications to the source code.

E.g:
QTableView is used in Validation Resuls window and in a table with a list of installed plugins.
I have no idea how to set the independent text color in both windows, so I used the {color: #666666;}, which looks decent in both places.

I set the colors in Code View by setting custom colors (Edit > Preferences > Appearance)

I set the colors in Book View and Preview Window by a single-line custom_preview_style.css file

Code:
body {background-color: #232629; color: #EFF0F1;}
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sigil-darkmode-becky-v20180714.png
Views:	878
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	165033  
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:36 PM   #13
slowsmile
Witchman

@BeckyEBook...Remember that the QDarkStyleSheet qss is only for use within python application code that uses Qt. So, in other words , the qss stylsheet and resources must be properly imported into the application code in order to work properly -- see this link. The easiest way to get this python code is just to download and install the QDarkStyle python module into your python installation from the Python Index using pip as shown here. This also means that you would have to rebuild and recompile Sigil with the Qdarkstyle module to incorporate all of it properly into Sigil.

This QDarkStyleStylesheet cannot therefore be completely and properly added manually to an existing already-built application like Sigil. This also means that adding all the icons, as you have suggested, will have no effect on Sigil's existing icons at all when you manually add and use the qss file. You can check this easily by comparing the icons on your QDarkStyleSheet Sigil version with the icons used in normal Sigil without the stylesheet. There will be no difference between them.

So copying all the QDarkStyleSheet icons into the Sigil Preferences directory, as you recommend, will not change any icons when you incorporate this stylesheet into Sigil. And so doing that will have no effect and would be a waste of time. Just copying the stylesheet code and following the instructions above in the first post is all you have to do to install it on your Sigil app. It's not perfect but it's really the simplest way to do it for now. DiapDealer, in his post above, has more or less said the same thing as I have concerning how to manually load the qss stylesheet and has also described what's coming in a future Sigil release.

Last edited by slowsmile; 07-14-2018 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:12 AM   #14
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
I think there was a misunderstanding.
I did not mention icons but about user interface elements (arrows, checkboxes etc.)

After my fixes, without recompiling Sigil and without installing QDarkStyle – it works.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sigil-ui-becky-20180715.png
Views:	705
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	165053  

Last edited by BeckyEbook; 07-15-2018 at 07:27 AM.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:18 PM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Just so you "themers" all know; the next version of Sigil has added the ability to define a custom user stylesheet that is applied to Preview and Book View (which cannot be styled via the .qss file). Those with the ability to compile Sigil themselves can check it out now. The rest will have to wait (hopefully no longer than the end of July). Just create a file named "custom_preview_style.css" in your Sigil Preferences directory and add your custom css to it. Sigil will load it whenever it launches.

Just remember that you're on your own should an epub's css decide to pick a fight with your custom user css.
That will be nice, Diap. I confess, despite my initial reaction to it, I've found that I really love the green-background on the Kindle 10. It's super-easy on the eyes.

Thanks, as always, to you and Kev.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote