Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-02-2019, 06:50 PM   #2281
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Sounds like this is also free now at Google, Microsoft, iTunes and FandangoNow if anyone prefers one of those providers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Also on Vudu.
I wish that I could make a comment about the subject matter. However, I'm afraid that one or more of the moderators would consider it crass, mean-spirited, and possibly one or more other negative things.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:57 PM   #2282
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Amazon Introduces New, Exclusive Prime Student Benefit: Amazon Music Unlimited for Just $0.99

Quote:
Starting today, new and current Prime Student members can subscribe to Amazon Music Unlimited to get more than 50 million songs plus thousands of curated playlists and stations at the new price of $0.99/month

College students can sign up for a six-month trial of Prime Student and enjoy fast, free delivery from Prime, thousands of movies and shows with Prime Video, ad-free music and more
Quote:
SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 6, 2019-- (NASDAQ:AMZN) – Amazon today introduced a new music benefit for Prime Student members as students get ready to head to campus this fall. New and current student members can now subscribe to Amazon Music Unlimited, the premium subscription tier of Amazon Music, and immediately have access to more than 50 million songs and the latest releases for an additional $0.99 per month. Starting today, existing Prime Student members can simply add on the Amazon Music Unlimited offer to their monthly or annual Prime Student membership plan for just $0.99 a month. College students who haven’t yet tried Prime Student can also sign up for a six-month trial at amazon.com/primestudent and take advantage of the new music benefit.
Prime Student
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:47 AM   #2283
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not fair! It seems like students these days are getting all of the best Amazon deals! We didn't get offers for deals like that when I was in college! Of course, back then we thought that Amazon was a river in South America . . . .
Old 08-09-2019, 08:36 PM   #2284
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
It's not fair! It seems like students these days are getting all of the best Amazon deals! We didn't get offers for deals like that when I was in college! Of course, back then we thought that Amazon was a river in South America . . . .
Yeah, and I could get through a year of tuition for about $3,000.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:45 AM   #2285
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Why not give Netflix a rest, and watch something that actually has some educational value?

Watch lectures by Harvard faculty and other field experts, presented by all four museums of the Harvard Museums of Science & Culture.

There are 28 of them, at the present time (lectures, that is).

Oh yeah, they're _free_.

Hmsc.Harvard.edu . Follow the linky at the bottom of the webpage.

You'll then be able to boast, honestly, to your friends, that you "have a Harvard education."

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 09-11-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #2286
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Would be nicer if 'students' included students enrolled in a Coursera or EDX class even when the student is not paying for a certificate. But the use of student means that one has to have an .edu email-id; like how microsoft defines student.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:52 AM   #2287
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

I wonder if MobileRead could get a mirror site, but with an .edu ending.

This is a very educational organization; we have professors like tubemonkey, for example.

I envision classes which have no tests, and no attendance required.

I'm still working on this in my mind. Suggestions are welcome.

Think of all of the money that MobileRead members could save!

Maybe the only requirement would be for "students" to be full-fledged MobileRead members, and not just lurkers.

Whadda ya think?

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 09-12-2019 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:26 PM   #2288
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Get a Google Cloud Drive "Membership," Get Some Google Play Credits.

This information may be only as good as what you are paying for it.

I signed up for an upgraded Google One (Google's cloud drive "membership"). Everyone can get 15 GB free, and my allotment was starting to burst at the seams (do you remember the time when a 15 GB hard drive was considered enormous?). I upgraded to the 100 GB plan ($1.99/month). Enough about that.

The reason that I'm posting that information to this thread is that one of the bonuses to membership is Google Play credits. That's all that I know. I don't know if I had been getting that with the 15 GB membership or not (it does seem like I would get a Google Play credit more often than other MobileReaders in this forum, but that's subjective); I don't know how much in credits that I will receive now.

FWIW--you also get up to 40% off of select hotels. Frankly, I've found those kinds of offers to be worthless, though.

If this piques your interest, try going to https://one.google.com/about (it's a very attractive website, BTW).

ADDENDUM: Google One has just recently made it easier to transfer files from Android phones to PC's and Apples. So they say. Heretofore, it had been a royal pain in the you-know-what.

ADDITIONAL ADDENDUM: For a _very_ short explanation of the improvement that Google has made to transferring files from Android to PC, and PC to Android, see the article at https://bgr.com/2019/09/13/google-on...ort-announced/.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 09-15-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:07 PM   #2289
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon Music Introduces Highest Quality Audio for Streaming with Amazon Music HD

Quote:
Amazon Music HD lets customers access and stream more than 50 million songs in High Definition (HD) audio and millions of songs in Ultra HD, the highest quality streaming audio available, giving listeners a new way to elevate their sound

Subscriptions start at $12.99/month for new subscribers; Current subscribers to Amazon Music pay $5/month plus their regular plan fee

For a limited time, Amazon Music subscribers in the US, UK, Germany and Japan can upgrade to Amazon Music HD for 90 days at no additional cost, and new subscribers can receive a 90-day free trial
Quote:
SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sep. 17, 2019-- (NASDAQ: AMZN) Amazon Music today announced the launch of Amazon Music HD, a new tier of premium quality music with more than 50 million songs in High Definition, and millions of songs in Ultra High Definition, the highest quality streaming audio available. At just $12.99/month for Prime members and $14.99/month for Amazon customers, or an additional $5/month for current subscribers (Individual or Family Plan), Amazon Music HD makes high quality, lossless audio accessible to all music fans. Amazon Music HD is now available to stream in the US, UK, Germany, and Japan. New subscribers to Amazon Music can receive a 90-day free trial, and current subscribers can try Amazon Music HD at no additional cost for 90 days at amazon.com/music/unlimited/hd.
Quote:
Amazon Music HD offers customers more than 50 million lossless HD songs, with a bit depth of 16 bits and a sample rate of 44.1kHz (CD quality). In addition, customers can stream millions more songs in Ultra HD (better than CD quality), with a bit depth of 24 bits and a sample rate up to 192 kHz.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:09 PM   #2290
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Amazon Music Unlimited -- FAQ | Help
  • 50 million songs w/ unlimited access | on-demand, always ad-free
  • offline listening w/ unlimited skips | hands-free listening w/ Alexa
Individual Plan
  • FREE -- 90-day free trial for new subscribers
  • $7.99/month -- Prime members -- $79.00/year
  • $9.99/month -- everyone else
Family Plan
  • $14.99/month -- everyone
  • $149/year -- Prime members
  • use across multiple devices
  • up to 6 accounts in same household
  • WARNING -- all individuals on this plan can make purchases using the account owner's credit/debit card - see FAQ under "shared payment method" for details
Student Plan
  • $0.99/month -- Prime students
  • $4.99/month -- all other students
  • must be enrolled at an accredited college or university to qualify
Single Device Plan
  • $3.99/month -- everyone
  • single device only
  • Echo, Dot, Input, Show, Spot, Tap, Look, Fire TV

Amazon Prime Music -- FAQ | Help
  • FREE -- Prime members
  • 2 million songs (Music Unlim has 50 million songs)
  • same feature set as Amazon Music Unlimited

Amazon Music HD -- FAQ | Help | description | press release
  • FREE -- 90-day free trial for new subscribers
  • FREE -- 90-day free upgrade for current Music Unlim subscribers
  • $12.99/month -- Prime members
  • $14.99/month -- everyone else
  • $19.99/month -- family plan (everyone)
  • CD Quality -- up to 850 kbps, 16-bits, 44.1 kHz (50 million songs)
  • Ultra HD ---- up to 3730 kbps, 24-bits, 192 kHz (millions of songs)
  • same feature set as Amazon Music Unlimited

Amazon Music -- announcement | post
  • FREE -- Alexa-enabled devices only
  • 2 million songs (same catalog as Prime Music)
  • on-demand songs/albums NOT allowed
  • top playlists | thousands of stations
  • ad-supported | limited skips per hour
  • similar to free Pandora

Last edited by tubemonkey; 09-18-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:19 AM   #2291
jkrzok
Connoisseur
jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD, Aura One, Voyage, Oasis 1 & 2, Many others getting dusty.
Thank you tubemonkey for the heads up. My Tidal subscription is cancelled. The sound quality is comparable to Tidal. The Ultra HD selection is better than Tidal, I think (all of Elvis is available in Ultra!). And Tidal was running me $240 for a year vs $130 for Amazon.

Part of me regrets making Jeff Bezos even richer but another part of me is looking to spend my savings on a new Kobo Libra. Jeff really does make it hard to walk away, doesn't he?
jkrzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:32 AM   #2292
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

Single Device Plan
  • $3.99/month -- everyone
  • single device only
  • Eligible Devices: Echo, Dot, Input, Show, Spot, Tap, Look, Fire TV
Huh. I wouldn't have thought that Amazon Music had anything to offer me, but this might be the answer for Christmas, for background carols which I only ever play through my Echo in the den anyway. Thanks.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:50 AM   #2293
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrzok View Post
Thank you tubemonkey for the heads up. My Tidal subscription is cancelled. The sound quality is comparable to Tidal. The Ultra HD selection is better than Tidal, I think (all of Elvis is available in Ultra!). And Tidal was running me $240 for a year vs $130 for Amazon.

Part of me regrets making Jeff Bezos even richer but another part of me is looking to spend my savings on a new Kobo Libra. Jeff really does make it hard to walk away, doesn't he?
You're welcome; and Jeff wants your money. Amazon's playing hardball with their music service and going all in with the introduction of their HD service.

You can get a 90-free trial before you commit yourself. Then it's $13/mo ($156/yr) for Prime members and $15/mo ($180/yr) for everyone else.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:06 AM   #2294
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Huh. I wouldn't have thought that Amazon Music had anything to offer me, but this might be the answer for Christmas, for background carols which I only ever play through my Echo in the den anyway. Thanks.
Another option for you is using the free ad-supported stations from Amazon, iHeart, and Pandora. Echos support these services. The major drawbacks are the commercials and the inability to request on-demand songs and albums.

I subscribe to Spotify, but I frequently use Pandora's free service for Christmas music on my Echos. I use their curated stations or make my own based on a song or an artist.

BTW, Amazon introduced a free ad-supported music service last April (I forgot to add it to the list). It's similar to Pandora and has the same restrictions.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 09-18-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:14 AM   #2295
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Another option for you is using the free ad-supported stations from the major music services -- Pandora, Spotify, iHeart, Amazon, etc. Echos support these services. The major drawbacks are the commercials and the inability to request on-demand songs and albums.
Being able to listen to carols only from my own curated list is mandatory for me. I've reached my lifetime limit on listening to the following:

issybird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disney movies anywhere, dma, movies anywhere, moviesanywhere