Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-14-2020, 07:38 AM   #46
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did you apply any patches that have anything to do with widows and orphans?
No, the widows-orphans patch is not enabled.

I have the footer disabled, that's why I noticed the issue immediately.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:39 AM   #47
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Using the Modify Epub plugin to add extra css. I tried several books and all of them had this issue. They were books already on my Kobo and half read, so they definitely didn't have the gaps before. I also opened one of them in the Calibre editor to check and yep, widows/orphans were set to 1 in the css.

Frankly I'm baffled. I guess I can try to load some new books and check those, but if they behave this way too, I'll have no idea what to do. I could use kepub, but that would mean reloading my whole Kobo library, which is entirely epub at the moment.
We probably need to see an example of a book to test ourselves. If you can demonstrate it with a book you can legally post, that do. If you don't have one, get an epub from the MR library and try it. Then you can post the modified book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2020, 09:54 AM   #48
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
We probably need to see an example of a book to test ourselves. If you can demonstrate it with a book you can legally post, that do. If you don't have one, get an epub from the MR library and try it. Then you can post the modified book.
Here's my modified copy of Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini. It's on my Kobo and the gap issue is present.

Last edited by issybird; 12-14-2020 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Copyrighted material removed.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:27 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Here's my modified copy of Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini. It's on my Kobo and the gap issue is present.
What patches did you apply?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:41 AM   #50
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What patches did you apply?
Spoiler:
  • My 24 line spacing values
  • Custom font sizes
  • ePub disable built-in body padding-bottom
  • Force user line spacing in KePubs
  • Force user line spacing in ePubs (part 1 of 2)
  • ePub constant font sharpness
  • KePub constant font sharpness
  • Un-Force user font-family in KePubs
  • ePub uniform font scale
  • Replace adobe page numbers toggle with invert screen
  • Always show confirmation dialog before upgrading
  • Remove recommendations (row1col2) from home screen
  • Never show Kobo Plus, wishlist, and points SmartLinks
  • Remove title from reading header/footer
  • Custom header/footer page number text
  • Enable advanced settings for all fonts
  • FeatureSettings - ExportHighlights
  • Force user line spacing in ePubs (Part 2 of 2)
  • Reduce top/bottom page spacer
  • Custom synopsis details line spacing
  • Custom synopsis font size
  • Dictionary pop-up - increase available text area
  • Increase Book Details synopsis area
  • Reduce new header/footer height
  • Remove footer (row3) and increase cover size on new home screen
Advert
Old 12-14-2020, 10:44 AM   #51
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Sirtel: Updated from which version, exactly?

Obvious question is obvious: are you sure the gap is actually caused by an orphan/widow issue, and not just a generic "trying to restore FullScreenReading behavior" gap?

(=> screenshot, please. So we can also get an idea of what your reading settings look like. ^^).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:35 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@sirtel

There is an option in Kobo eReader.conf (.kobo/kobo) on a Kobo that will ignore widows/orphans with RMSDK (ADE)/ePub. This can be overridden in CSS. But if you remove all widows and orphans from CSS, this should work.

Code:
[Reading]
readingAdobeOrphans=1
readingAdobeWidows=1
Old 12-14-2020, 11:40 AM   #53
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Sirtel: Updated from which version, exactly?
Quote:
Obvious question is obvious: are you sure the gap is actually caused by an orphan/widow issue, and not just a generic "trying to restore FullScreenReading behavior" gap?

(=> screenshot, please. So we can also get an idea of what your reading settings look like. ^^).
No, I'm not sure. The issue doesn't happen with kepubs, though. Only epubs. I've added the images. The first one is a page with the gap and the next one is the next page; rinse & repeat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201214_180534 (2).jpg
Views:	241
Size:	878.0 KB
ID:	184017   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201214_180556 (2).jpg
Views:	227
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	184018   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201214_180609 (2).jpg
Views:	204
Size:	741.9 KB
ID:	184019   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201214_180616 (2).jpg
Views:	211
Size:	921.3 KB
ID:	184020   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201214_180645 (2).jpg
Views:	200
Size:	683.8 KB
ID:	184021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201214_180655 (2).jpg
Views:	187
Size:	984.0 KB
ID:	184022  
Old 12-14-2020, 11:43 AM   #54
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@sirtel

There is an option in Kobo eReader.conf (.kobo/kobo) on a Kobo that will ignore widows/orphans with RMSDK (ADE)/ePub. This can be overridden in CSS. But if you remove all widows and orphans from CSS, this should work.

Code:
[Reading]
readingAdobeOrphans=1
readingAdobeWidows=1
Thanks, I'll try it.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:46 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I tried your ePub with ADE 2.0.1 and it worked no problem.

If my suggestion isn't working, try installing 4.25 without any patches and see if windows/orphans works. If it does, apply the patches and try again. That way it can be narrowed down to what might be causing the problem.

If the problem happens again after patching, I'll post my patches for you to try as they do work.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-14-2020 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:21 PM   #56
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Using the Modify Epub plugin to add extra css. I tried several books and all of them had this issue. They were books already on my Kobo and half read, so they definitely didn't have the gaps before. I also opened one of them in the Calibre editor to check and yep, widows/orphans were set to 1 in the css.

Frankly I'm baffled. I guess I can try to load some new books and check those, but if they behave this way too, I'll have no idea what to do. I could use kepub, but that would mean reloading my whole Kobo library, which is entirely epub at the moment.
Are you applying the widows/orphans settings to the body or html elements? Are you flagging them as important!? Are you checking that there are no other widows/orphans settings in the CSS?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:49 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Are you applying the widows/orphans settings to the body or html elements? Are you flagging them as important!? Are you checking that there are no other widows/orphans settings in the CSS?
I had a look at the eBook that was attached. It has widows and orphans in both CSS set to 1 in the body style. I tried it with ADE 2.0.1 and it worked. I didn't see anything in the CSS that would cause widows and orphans not to work.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:55 PM   #58
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
To the body, after removing all the widows/orphans settings from the css. Yes, I've checked, there are no others. I've not flagged them, because they're the only widows/orphans settings in the modified epub. And it has worked perfectly before the latest update. I can try flagging them, but if that works, it will mean reloading all my books to the Kobo. Sigh. Still, I guess I will try anything, as I just can't live with those gaps.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:16 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
To the body, after removing all the widows/orphans settings from the css. Yes, I've checked, there are no others. I've not flagged them, because they're the only widows/orphans settings in the modified epub. And it has worked perfectly before the latest update. I can try flagging them, but if that works, it will mean reloading all my books to the Kobo. Sigh. Still, I guess I will try anything, as I just can't live with those gaps.
I took another look at the eBook you posted and it's full of errors. epubcheck found a lot of errors. Maybe something with the errors is causing the problem with your Kobo.

I've scrambled an ePub for you to try. I know widows and orphans work.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:24 PM   #60
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I took another look at the eBook you posted and it's full of errors. epubcheck found a lot of errors. Maybe something with the errors is causing the problem with your Kobo.

I've scrambled an ePub for you to try. I know widows and orphans work.
I never check for errors, have had no need before now. Scaramouche and all the other books worked perfectly before the latest update. But I'll try your book and we'll see.

Tags
firmware, firmware release