Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 05:26 PM   #31
kemar
Edge User

Hello, I’ve been caught up with school and work. I’ve had a chance to use the Dingo version during my classes and though it took a minute to get used to, overall, I have enjoyed the changes. The change I like to most is that I can formally “close the books/documents and journals on the e-reader side. I use to have to bring up a blank journal to “close so I don’t have just anything sitting on the screen. Not that I have top secret information, but I like being able to choose what comes up on the screen when it comes on and not having to have anything on the screen when I only use the tablet side. Another improvement that I really enjoy is when I go to the library it stays on the last tag. Before it would go to all and bring up everything that was in the library.

As far as my studies on the eDGe, things have pretty much continued the same with a few minor changes. There are a few things that I would like to note. As I progress through the semester, I’ve been moving materials that where in my primary subject tag (ex. Hist 12) to my secondary school tag (ex. School Materials). I have modified this by creating a “materials tag for each individual subject (ex. Hist 12 Materials). The reasoning behind this is the School Materials tag is growing and I was using the Title and Description field to help associate the materials with the class. I decided I would like the Author and Title to be used the proper way and have created the extra tags for the subjects. So the core material goes into the Hist 12 and the secondary material goes into Hist 12 Material.

Another item I would like to note is I’ve been using one notebook per class. In my History, I have been taking a lot of notes and currently I am around the late 30’s in page number. I notice I am now getting a dialog box when I press save (or auto-save) that states the saving process could take up to a minute for larger journal files. As of now it doesn’t take anywhere near a minute, only an extra second or two longer than usual. I believe in the next 10 pages or so I may start another notebook. Luckily the notes happen to correspond with the testing in the class, so I have a logical cut off point to start a new notebook. I am still going to maintain my method, it’s just I will probably have about 4 notebooks by the end of the semester. I prefer having as few "notebooks" for class notes as possible because I really would like to reduce the file clutter. I use the journals for each subject for other things besides class notes like scratch sheets I may want to keep, ideals and topic sheets for potential papers, and depending on the type of homework or assignments, journals for writing down questions or additional research notes for studying for exams. Using the Tab Editor is a real bonus in helping me to organize. I also notice that I have used the insert pages and cutting and pasting in the journal when dealing with content.

One last thing I would like to mention is I have started using a Flash Card app recommended in one of the other posts here in the forum, Ankidroid. I really enjoy the app and it’s been helpful in preparing for my upcoming exam.

@edgelover
Sorry I have been away. I don’t know how I can help but I would be more than happy to try.

@lisa031825
I really like how you use the syllabus to link to other materials. I can actually use that to help me in my History class. The instructor gave us a lot of the handouts ahead of time and I actually took the time to scan everything. By linking it ahead of time all I would have to do is tab on the link for that day.

Last edited by kemar; 10-28-2010 at 06:03 PM.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #32
edgelover
Edge User

Thanks for your reply

Can you please email me I would appreciate it my lsat classes start soon.

Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #33
edgelover
Edge User

tpretlor01@aol.com

Old 10-23-2010, 10:40 PM   #34
kemar
Edge User

Well Mid-terms are over and I must admit my Entourage eDGe has performed beautifully so far this semester. I still use it constantly in all of my classes and with the exception of some loose leaf paper that I bring in for in class assignments, I really don’t bring anything else to class. As I look back at what I have done so far this semester, I amazed at the additions I made to the table of contents (TOC) with my various types of notes (post-it, handwritten, highlight, and links) in my books and PDFs. With the naming conventions that I have come up with it’s been pretty easy to find various people, subjects and concepts in the TOC. It’s a benefit that I have really enjoyed especially during class discussions; I noticed that it’s easier for me to bring up topics, views, or support my arguments in class. Since I take the time to add Post-It notes (I can bring up the note and quickly remind myself of questions I want to ask for clarification and information I want to convey), highlights and I label things effectively, I have the information pretty much on demand. One of my fellow students has made the purchase and there are a few more seriously considering taking the plunge.

Since I’ve started using the eDGe this semester, I notice that my desk is less cluttered and I don’t confine myself to my desk as often when I study. I also discovered that I have found more occasions to study. Normally, I only study at home (I don’t like lugging my books and papers around), but since everything is located in my eDGe and it’s almost continuously with me, I tend to study more and review my notes more.

One addition I have made, I finally purchased an external keyboard. Originally I was only using Doc2Go to review documents. Now I actually take the time to type up outlines for my papers and even the initial rough draft. When I get to a certain point, I transfer the paper I am working on to my USB drive and finalize it on my laptop. I purchased the “Solidtek KB-P3100SU (ASK-3100U) Super Mini Keyboard. It took a little time to get used to, but after a little practice, I can comfortably type on it. Along with the keyboard I purchased a sleeve and case for the eDGe. The sleeve has a main compartment for the eDGe and two side pockets for my keyboard , extra pen, and USB drive. I use the sleeve when I am using my main messenger bag. I also purchased a case that is like a mini messenger bag( designed for netbooks). When I attend class or have to go to the library, I use the case for the eDGe, keyboard, pen, and there is also enough room for some papers and my wallet. It’s a snug fit, but it’s very light and portable especially if I want to carry only the essentials and leave my messenger bag at home.

Now that I am using the keyboard with my eDGe, I’ve been using the StudyDroid flashcard app. I can create the cards directly on the eDGe; while the material is open on the ereader side, I can create my flash cards directly on the tablet side. The application could be better (the random function does not work very well), but if I just review the cards in order (that works well), it’s useful in reviewing materials.

I just wanted to take the time to express a few more thoughts.

Last edited by kemar; 11-02-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #35
sammieb77
Edge User

Red face Help?

After you create the Table of Contents page in the journal, how do you make it 'clickable?' So that you can click on it and the eDGe knows to take you to each section?

Can you walk me through step-by-step?

Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #36
myst
Edge User

Thank you for taking the time to share. Great review. I know I have not even touched on all that it can do.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #37
lisa031825
Edge User

I'm not sure how you are creating your table of contents but here is what I do.
1) Select the menu at the bottom of the journal
2) Select Page
3) Select Edit Tab
When you create a new tab it automatically creates an entry in the TOC that is active
When you look at the journal in the Library, press and hold the journal and a circle of things will pop up. Select Table of Contents and it will list all of the tabs you created and will take you directly to whichever one you select.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #38
sammieb77
Edge User

Oh. Okay. Thanks