Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-14-2020, 10:08 AM   #1
Slople
Slople began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
E-Reader with serial port on PCB

Hey there

this is my first post here

For a private hobby project, I am looking for e-readers which have an internal serial port on the PCB. I have already used Kobo minis in the past, which have one.
However, a device with Android would be much preferred. Does anyone of you know a device?
A color-e-paper-screen wouldn't hurt much either

I cannot buy dozens of e-readers and open them, just to see if there is a serial port or not

Thanks
Raphael
Slople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:26 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
do a search for teardown and the models you are interested. You may find something.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:42 AM   #3
Slople

Thanks for the tipp! I always searched for "brandname PCB" and did not find much, much better now with "teardown"

I have found this for my favorite model: https://the-digital-reader.com/wp-co...r-internal.pdf

However, I don't think it has Android, or has it been hacked?
Old 10-15-2020, 07:05 AM   #4
Slople

The Onyx boox poke 2 color could have been feasible too, but it's sold out and I don't know about a serial port, no teardown / pcb-view found. :-(
Old 10-20-2020, 04:10 PM   #5
Slople

anyone any more help please? :|
Old 10-21-2020, 02:04 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Why Android? The only plus on Android is cheap tablets and the Playstore. Otherwise it's inferior for a custom application to a real Linux. Android has too many bits of Linux missing and the entire point of it is the Java LIKE apps and the Android touch GUI.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:10 AM   #7
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Why Android? The only plus on Android is cheap tablets and the Playstore. Otherwise it's inferior for a custom application to a real Linux. Android has too many bits of Linux missing and the entire point of it is the Java LIKE apps and the Android touch GUI.

I see a lot of benefits for the OP to go with the android route:

1. There're plenty of tutorials to develop android apps.
2. Toolchains / SDKs are readily available on any major OS
3. Android has a powerful IPC via the binder, and makes communication with 3rd party apps or remote services a joy to program.
4. You can pretty much develop anywhere, using an emulator
5. Because of 3 you don't need to reinvent the wheel: want to display something nicely? you can both repurpose the browser that's available on 99'9% of android devices or wrap something fast on top of system webview.

Prototying an app on e-ink android is faster than building Qt sources for that platform (and adapting qpa plugins for IO). And Qt is pretty much the **only** thing that could make the app as powerful and easy to program as it can be with android frameworks.

Last edited by pazos; 10-22-2020 at 11:12 AM. Reason: not a english speaker I am :P
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:38 PM   #8
Slople

There is one more argument for Android:

The perfect paragliding app for Android is already there and is the de-facto standard in competition flying: https://xctrack.org

So I'm still looking for a suitable e-ink-color device
Old 10-27-2020, 08:43 AM   #9
bazz2004
Zealot
bazz2004 can extract oil from cheesebazz2004 can extract oil from cheesebazz2004 can extract oil from cheesebazz2004 can extract oil from cheesebazz2004 can extract oil from cheesebazz2004 can extract oil from cheesebazz2004 can extract oil from cheesebazz2004 can extract oil from cheesebazz2004 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Boyue Alita
Slopie - "So I'm still looking for a suitable e-ink-color device"

I recently bought an Ectaco language learning tablet (colour lcd) and am puzzled that the company appears to be still in business. I am always dubious when reading GoodEreader articles and reviews but you might be interested to read the bit about Ectaco's disastrous ereader colour screen adventure.

https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...tten-e-readers

Apart from some suspect reviews saying it was the greatest thing since sliced bread customers were underwhelmed and the project flopped. Whether or not the Ectaco colour reader had a serial port or not I couldn't say. Probably not.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:56 AM   #10
Slople

@bazz2004, I'm not sure I get what you wanted to tell me. So there is apparently a bad colour-lcd (not even e-ink) device out there?

Let me get the facts straight of what I'm looking for:

From most to least important:

1. e-ink display with perfect sunlight readability between 4" and 7"
2. Android >= 9
3. hackable serial port on the PCB
4. colour e-ink (or similar) display
Old 10-28-2020, 05:16 AM   #11
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and graceottischwenk herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: B Ares/Alita, OB Nova2/Poke2/Poke Pro, Tol Epos2/Shine3/Shine2/Page2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slople View Post
1. e-ink display with perfect sunlight readability between 4" and 7"
2. Android >= 9
3. hackable serial port on the PCB
4. colour e-ink (or similar) display
Why hackable serial port on the PCB and why color?
Im using my Boox Poke Pro (Android 6) with a BT GPS/Glonass device for car navigation.
The Boox Poke 2 has Android 9 and works in the same way.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:18 AM   #12
bazz2004
Zealot
bazz2004 can extract oil from cheesebazz2004 can extract oil from cheesebazz2004 can extract oil from cheesebazz2004 can extract oil from cheesebazz2004 can extract oil from cheesebazz2004 can extract oil from cheesebazz2004 can extract oil from cheesebazz2004 can extract oil from cheesebazz2004 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Boyue Alita
The Ectaco JetBook Color ereader does have an e-ink type screen but it didn't deliver any wow factor. It's likely you can likely still buy one. The Ectaco Lux 4 Pro I bought has an LCD colour screen but you are correct it's irrelevant and just confused the issue. I'm saying be careful before jumping in and buying any device particularly a colour one. Initial reviews are not to be fully relied on. Sorry to be pessimistic but I don't think you will find what you want.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:06 PM   #13
Slople

The Onyx Boox Poke 2 Color looks just too perfect. If I would only see a PCB of it somehwere... can't find anything.
I need a serial port to hack some flying-related peripherals to it - as the saying goes "the man that knows wireless uses cables".
Old 10-29-2020, 05:02 AM   #14
Slople

progress, Onyx answered, there is a serial port on all Onyx-devices apparently. However, see here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=334424
Old 10-29-2020, 10:45 AM   #15
Cat_Turbo
Cat_Turbo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1;Onyx Boox M96 Plus (broken)
Don't know if you only need the eink screen for your project or not, but if this is the case, here is maybe an alternative for that:
https://github.com/vroland/epdiy

It is a open source project which provides a driver board for eink screens, so that you can drive them with your own microcontroller board and scripts (by using e.g. the Arduino hardware abstraction layer)
Cat_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote