Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-14-2020, 06:02 PM   #1
mdclanahan
Connoisseur
mdclanahan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad 6th Gen
Choosing a Linux distribution for Calibre

I have posted recently about setting up the Calibre content server on a Raspberry Pi with Raspbian as the Linux distro. This works, but it limits me to an older version of Calibre (from what I understand, a limitation of Debian).

Does anyone know of a Linux distribution that will A) run on a Raspberry Pi 4, and B) allow me to install Calibre 4?

Thanks in advance!
mdclanahan
mdclanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:20 PM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
https://archlinuxarm.org/
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:21 PM   #3
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclanahan View Post
I have posted recently about setting up the Calibre content server on a Raspberry Pi with Raspbian as the Linux distro. This works, but it limits me to an older version of Calibre (from what I understand, a limitation of Debian).

Does anyone know of a Linux distribution that will A) run on a Raspberry Pi 4, and B) allow me to install Calibre 4?

Thanks in advance!
mdclanahan
Calibre 4 should run fine on Raspbian. I'm running it on Ubuntu 16.04 just fine, which is based on a far older version of Debian than current Raspbian releases are.

You just need to install the current version from the calibre site, not the one packaged with the distro. https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:05 PM   #4
mdclanahan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
Calibre 4 should run fine on Raspbian. I'm running it on Ubuntu 16.04 just fine, which is based on a far older version of Debian than current Raspbian releases are.

You just need to install the current version from the calibre site, not the one packaged with the distro. https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux
If only it were that easy. Here's what I get:

"You are running on an ARM system. The calibre binaries are only available for x86 systems. You will have to compile from source."
Old 03-14-2020, 10:12 PM   #5
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
If only it were that easy. Here's what I get:

"You are running on an ARM system. The calibre binaries are only available for x86 systems. You will have to compile from source."
Oh, duh, I forgot that Pis are ARM. My bad.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:55 PM   #6
zahroc
zahroc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard and Asus MeMo 10 Smart Tablet
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
mdclanahan
Did you ever find a solution?
zahroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:49 AM   #7
mdclanahan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahroc View Post
Did you ever find a solution?
No, I did not.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:43 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The solution is in the very first response in this thread. use arch linux arm it has up to date calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:07 AM   #9
mdclanahan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The solution is in the very first response in this thread. use arch linux arm it has up to date calibre.

Is there a reason to use Arch rather than Ubuntu? Shouldn’t Ubuntu also support the latest version of Calibre?
Old 05-07-2020, 11:31 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Assuming you know how to put Ubuntu on a Pi. Then you need to build Calibre.

Personally I lost interest in Ubuntu nearly 10 years ago.

For a Raspberry Pi the Arch linux may be best.
For x86-32 or x86-64, Linux Mint.
There is or was difficulty on installing on low end Win10 Atom tablets, because while 64 bit linux runs fine, the EFI is 32 bit. So you either use Debian, or copy the 32 bit EFI files into the ISO for Mint 64 bit. This involves unpacking the ISO, or mounting a copy as RW and adding the files, then repackaging the ISO.

The best choices of distro for the Pi (ARM) are not going to be the same as for an x86 platform. AFAIK, Kovid's site only offers the x86 versions for Linux, MacOS and Windows.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:50 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Is there a reason to use Arch rather than Ubuntu? Shouldn’t Ubuntu also support the latest version of Calibre?
It doesn't, just look at the versions of the calibre packages in the two distros.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:31 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It doesn't, just look at the versions of the calibre packages in the two distros.
Only on x86, not ARM for Ubuntu. Maybe that's the confusion.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 05:34 AM   #13
gpm
gpm began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook, Tolino, Sony
I just managed to upgrade my Raspberry OS from "buster" to "bullseye".

It took some time and effort because I'm no Linux crack, but eventually it's running fine. So it can be done. I just did it step by step with much searching/reading solutions on the net, which told me there are many other people doing this.

My trying the Manjaro distro where frustrating, the img files didn't even start on my Pi 3b+. Arch was just to much for me.

So now I have Raspbian OS 'Bullseye' and the version of calibre in it's repos is 5.12.
I'm mainly using the caliber-server and I'm very glad to'd manage this task.

Thanks and donations are going to Kovid. What a fine peace of software he's created!
gpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 03:54 AM   #14
gpm
gpm began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook, Tolino, Sony
The upgrade is now simpler. Raspberry OS 'Bullseye' is officially released.
----------------------------

Read Kovids help file:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/ind...content-server
and:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gen...re-server.html

install calibre:

Code:
sudo su
apt update
apt install calibre

Create a service file for systemd
(adapt to your needs):

/etc/systemd/system/calibre-server.service:

Code:
[Unit]
Description=calibre content server
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=simple
PIDFile=/home/pi/.calibre-server.pid
User=pi
Group=pi
ExecStart=/usr/bin/calibre-server \
 --listen-on 0.0.0.0 \
 --enable-auth \
 --auth-mode=basic \
 --port=8081 \
 --pidfile=/home/pi/.calibre-server.pid \
 --userdb="/home/pi/.config/calibre/server-users.sqlite" \
 "/home/pi/MyBooks(Pi)"

Restart=on-failure

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

To start calibre-server at system start:
Code:
sudo systemctl enable calibre-server
To start calibre-server:
Code:
sudo systemctl start calibre-server

Now, as you're running, what about to start the
calibre GUI with this very library?
You have to stop the calibre-server first, there can't
be multi user access to the library = data bank.

Therefore I made a dektop icon to start the calibre Gui.
It stops the calibre-server, runs the GUI and restarts the
server after closing the GUI.

There are two parts.

1) A script which does what is needed:

StartCalibreGUI:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
USER='pi'
SERVICE='calibre-server'
PID_FILE=/home/pi/.calibre-server.pid
# we need to stop $SERVICE before
# running the GUI
if [ -f $PID_FILE ]; then
    sudo systemctl stop $SERVICE
elif pgrep -f $SERVICE >/dev/null; then
    sudo systemctl stop $SERVICE
else
    echo "\n  $SERVICE was not running"
fi

# start calibre GUI
/usr/bin/calibre

# after terminating the GUI
# restart $SERVICE
sudo systemctl start $SERVICE

if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
    exit 0
    echo "$SERVICE was restarted"
else
    echo  "\n  FAIL - $SERVICE is NOT running."
    echo "  Something went wrong."
    sleep 30
    exit 1
fi

2) A desktop icon which represents:

/home/pi/Desktop/!calibre!.desktop:
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Link
Name=! Calibre !
Icon=calibre-gui
# opens a terminal window to see whats going on
# working-dir: where the start script (StartCalibreGui) is
Exec=lxterminal -t "starting calibre GUI..." --working-directory=/home/pi/.scripts/ -e StartCalibreGUI
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Terminal=false
Comment=stops calibre server and restarts after closing the GUI
StartupNotify=true

You may have similar shortcuts on your Windows desktop - as I have
on my Windows DT to achieve the same result: Close the
calibre-server before opening the Calibre GUI and restart
the server after closing the GUI:

CalibreStopStart.cmd:
Code:
@echo off
set PATH=D:\PortableApps\portable_putty;%PATH%

plink.exe -batch -i "G:\my\Eigene Dateien\PuttyPrivate.ppk" -P 22 pi@192.168.178.18 /home/pi/.scripts/StopStartCalibreServer stop

REM Start Calibre GUI
"W:\Calibre Portable\calibre-portable.exe" 

echo(
echo   *****************************************
echo   ***                                   ***
echo   ***    Calibre GUI is now RUNNING!    ***
echo   ***                                   ***
echo(
echo   To restart the content server & echo(