Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-03-2020, 04:54 PM   #61
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Oasis is not a higher-end device. It's just a more expensive device. In terms of hardware, it's very similar to the Libra.
The Oasis is on the higher end of the kindle line, wherever it is on the spectrum of all reading devices.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:58 PM   #62
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Oasis is not a higher-end device. It's just a more expensive device. In terms of hardware, it's very similar to the Libra.
Okay. I'm not the most tech-savvy person on these forums by far, but to me I considered Oasis/Libra/forma the higher-end devices of their lines. I'm sure you know what I meant with my initial post.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:51 PM   #63
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The Oasis IS the high-end device from Amazon.

I have a feeling that you'll be quite pleased with it.

(You need to understand - if you don't already - that there is a 'friendly' war going on among some members at Mobileread regarding Kindles vs. Kobos.)

I own both Kindles and Kobos. And both are fine ebook readers, in my opinion.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:00 PM   #64
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Both seem to be great devices. It'd be nice to have the spending money to buy one of everything available, but alas I am not in this situation right now. I'm getting a small but steady collection right now

I just spent my first 30 minutes reading on the new Oasis in the bath. I love the screen! It's very white and uniform, which is nice. I changed the button layout to reverse because my hands tend to be holding it loosely at the bottom, as I did with the paperwhite, so it's easier for me to reach the bottom button to keep changing the pages. Nice you can adjust it. I'll probably adjust it back and forth randomly depending on what I'm doing.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:02 PM   #65
Paperbackstash
Wizard

I'm so behind on my reading challenges that i want to do a lot of reading this week. Perfect timing. I'm sure I'll run into the warm light feature eventually to be able to tweak with it and see what I think. Already loving the button and screen size difference, so even if the warm light doesn't turn out being my thing, the upgrade is going well and worth it already.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:25 PM   #66
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
My Oasis arrived today. It is charging.

My experience with Kindles has been in helping others get connected to WiFi and downloading library books via Overdrive. As a Kobo user, finding the font styles & sizing will be a bit of a learning curve. I will do my own research on that

So far, so good. After following the instructions from the afore mentioned website that I needed the books from, they were delivered seamlessly onto the Oasis. Score one for the Oasis.

In comparing the size to the Aura One, almost the same width, with the Kobo of course being taller/longer. (I just tried to fit it in one of my Kobo cases and it is slightly wider than the Kobo)

I'll continue to use the Kobo as my dedicated Overdrive library reader, until it doesn't function. I keep it in a cover that opens up like a book, so it feels like a book when I'm reading.

Not sure if I will just make a sleeve for the Oasis or get a proper cover. I'm assuming I'll like the buttons on the left so wonder how a cover will work with that? I'll do some research and see if Amazon shows examples of what the Oasis looks like in a cover. I've already reversed the buttons so that when holding in left hand, the bottom button will be a page turn.

Last edited by beespeckled; 07-03-2020 at 09:15 PM. Reason: grammar & added info
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:43 PM   #67
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
"IMHO, you would have been better off with the Kobo Libra H2O. Similar hardware with much better software. The problem with Kindles is that the WiFi downloading for Amazon is now a botch job. If you have side loaded eBooks on a Kindle with firmware 5.12.3 or later, you lose the cover thumbnails. So your only solution is to keep WiFi off. So that means always downloads are no go unless you don't mind your side loaded eBook cover thumbnails are OK to go."

JS- Not wishing go off topic, but the problem is some sort of ADE issue. ADE is working fine for sideloaded library books, the problem is sideloading books from the other source "this device not authorized" message came up. I troubleshooted deauthorizing the Kobo and authorizing again, verifying date/time. Removing/deleting the problem books then downloading those books again and sideloading to the freshly authorized Kobo with the same result. Took a several day break, and again went thru the process with the same results.

I even considered deleting ADE then reinstalling but I don't want to mess up my library/Kobo account since that is working brilliantly.

I am a 98% Overdrive user, so the Kobo will continue to delight in that respect.

Last edited by beespeckled; 07-03-2020 at 08:58 PM.
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:59 PM   #68
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I'm so behind on my reading challenges that i want to do a lot of reading this week. Perfect timing. I'm sure I'll run into the warm light feature eventually to be able to tweak with it and see what I think. Already loving the button and screen size difference, so even if the warm light doesn't turn out being my thing, the upgrade is going well and worth it already.
Enjoy, and welcome to the Oasis Club!
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:48 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by beespeckled View Post
"IMHO, you would have been better off with the Kobo Libra H2O. Similar hardware with much better software. The problem with Kindles is that the WiFi downloading for Amazon is now a botch job. If you have side loaded eBooks on a Kindle with firmware 5.12.3 or later, you lose the cover thumbnails. So your only solution is to keep WiFi off. So that means always downloads are no go unless you don't mind your side loaded eBook cover thumbnails are OK to go."

JS- Not wishing go off topic, but the problem is some sort of ADE issue. ADE is working fine for sideloaded library books, the problem is sideloading books from the other source "this device not authorized" message came up. I troubleshooted deauthorizing the Kobo and authorizing again, verifying date/time. Removing/deleting the problem books then downloading those books again and sideloading to the freshly authorized Kobo with the same result. Took a several day break, and again went thru the process with the same results.

I even considered deleting ADE then reinstalling but I don't want to mess up my library/Kobo account since that is working brilliantly.

I am a 98% Overdrive user, so the Kobo will continue to delight in that respect.
There is a solution to the DRM problem. Just remove the DRM.You can download the DeDRM plugin for Calibre from https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:40 AM   #70
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Both seem to be great devices. It'd be nice to have the spending money to buy one of everything available, but alas I am not in this situation right now. I'm getting a small but steady collection right now

I just spent my first 30 minutes reading on the new Oasis in the bath. I love the screen! It's very white and uniform, which is nice. I changed the button layout to reverse because my hands tend to be holding it loosely at the bottom, as I did with the paperwhite, so it's easier for me to reach the bottom button to keep changing the pages. Nice you can adjust it. I'll probably adjust it back and forth randomly depending on what I'm doing.

Great! But make certain you weren't wearing your scuba gear in the bathtub!

I also changed the button layout, for the exact same reason.

My Oasis 3 is also white and uniform.

Have you had a chance to play around with both lighting systems?
Old 07-04-2020, 09:44 AM   #71
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

The newest version of calibre is reputed to solve the disappearing cover issue.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #72
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Great! But make certain you weren't wearing your scuba gear in the bathtub!

I also changed the button layout, for the exact same reason.

My Oasis 3 is also white and uniform.

Have you had a chance to play around with both lighting systems?
I did not still I was planning to read last night but did not get around to it. I'm curious on it and will try tonight. My son has plans with friends, so unless that falls apart, planning on having a reading/tv evening at home after dinner at the parents.

The light change will take me getting used to, but I want to test it with the natural progression of it changing to see how effective it is.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:26 PM   #73
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
The newest version of calibre is reputed to solve the disappearing cover issue.
I have missing covers, which annoys me greatly, but it may be an issue with it still indexing, so I'm not worrying about that yet.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:49 PM   #74
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have missing covers, which annoys me greatly, but it may be an issue with it still indexing, so I'm not worrying about that yet.

Unfortunately, it has to do with Amazon's newest firmware. I find it very bothersome on side-loaded ebooks, which is only what I put on my Oasis.

However, I can't test the newest version of calibre, which supposedly solves the issue - a fix, so I hear - due to the fact that my old MacBook Pro (mid-2010) won't handle the newest version of calibre.

Hopefully, Amazon will correct this issue.

I don't think it occurs on ebooks purchased from Amazon. (??)
Old 07-04-2020, 03:01 PM   #75
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Unfortunately, it has to do with Amazon's newest firmware. I find it very bothersome on side-loaded ebooks, which is only what I put on my Oasis.

However, I can't test the newest version of calibre, which supposedly solves the issue - a fix, so I hear - due to the fact that my old MacBook Pro (mid-2010) won't handle the newest version of calibre.

Hopefully, Amazon will correct this issue.

I don't think it occurs on ebooks purchased from Amazon. (??)
Ah!

I updated Calibre today. A very large amount of my books are sideloaded. I will hook it up and see if it helps. Do the books need to be reloaded? I hope not.