Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2020, 12:31 PM   #1
kdf9511
Madman With A Box
kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Nook Glowlight, Nook Color, Kindle 4, Astak Pocket Pro
Library by File Folder

I just picked up a Clara HD off the clearance rack of the local WallyWorld this week. It's an upgrade to the Nook Simple Touch Glowlight I have been using. So far I really like the Clara with one exception. I've been collecting eBooks for almost 20 years and never did like using Calibre for sorting my library. I only used it for converting formats.

My question is there any way to see the books on the Clara by file folder and file name? I have all my books sorted by author and then by series in folders and subfolders. I went this route when I was first reading books on a PalmIII and HP PocketPC and just stuck with it. It worked just fine on the Nook and other readers I have had. I dropped a small batch on the new reader and it just lumped them all together 2097 books in all right now witch makes it hard to find what I'm looking for.
kdf9511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:46 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf9511 View Post
I just picked up a Clara HD off the clearance rack of the local WallyWorld this week. It's an upgrade to the Nook Simple Touch Glowlight I have been using. So far I really like the Clara with one exception. I've been collecting eBooks for almost 20 years and never did like using Calibre for sorting my library. I only used it for converting formats.

My question is there any way to see the books on the Clara by file folder and file name? I have all my books sorted by author and then by series in folders and subfolders. I went this route when I was first reading books on a PalmIII and HP PocketPC and just stuck with it. It worked just fine on the Nook and other readers I have had. I dropped a small batch on the new reader and it just lumped them all together 2097 books in all right now witch makes it hard to find what I'm looking for.
The quick answer is no. The Clara HD does not have a file manager.

Given the joys of trying to setup a directory structure that allows for multiple authors, series (all too often, I have books that belong in multiple series), etc., I would suggest getting familiar with the search capabilities of your Clara. Setting up calibre to send the metadata to your Clara is a bit of work but it's a one shot.

If you really insist on using a directory structure, take a look at the one click install packages and use KOReader. Though KOReader long ago added the ability to search calibre's metadata.calibre as an improvement to trying to maintain a directory structure. When I did some testing, it took a lot fewer taps to locate a book by search than trying to walk a directory tree to locate a book.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:50 PM   #3
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Kobo library is not based on a file manager but it relies on a Data Base by which You can order Your books for Author, for title, for series (and series information must come from Kobo or calibre) and for collection (You can set Your collection directly on the device or using calibre). And, as You can see, each of that order selection can be ordered in some ways as by recent reading, by name ecc.

Personally I prefer that organization of my books, I don't need to know the real structure of files in my Kobo, but of course other persons can have their own preferences.

However if You really like a file manager structure You could install KOReader that has a file manager by which You can search Your books. It is a very good program and works well on kobos.

Another thing You could do is to set calibre to send Your books to kobo in the way You like, respecting the file manager structure that You desire (I don't do it, but I know that it is possible).

Last edited by ps67; 07-02-2020 at 01:52 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:31 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I would do is remove all eBooks you are not reading and delete the empty directories. Then put them back using Calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:52 PM   #5
kdf9511
Madman With A Box
kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Nook Glowlight, Nook Color, Kindle 4, Astak Pocket Pro
Well darn it all. Sounds like I need to spend a few days building a Calibre library and downloading metadata then figure out how to send that to my reader. The biggest reason I like the file directory structure is I can just drag and drop from the computer to the reader.
kdf9511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:21 PM   #6
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Doesn't KOreader use a file directory?
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:44 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You might check out the AutoShelf thread in the developers sub forum.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote