Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-23-2020, 04:57 PM   #361
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alborghetti View Post
I have the Oasis 2 and I confirm that the new toggle is available, at least my unit has it now.
Thanks. Then trekk is correct that John Hopper forgot the Oasis 2.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:23 PM   #362
zaqxsw
Connoisseur
zaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 - Gen 11
Gotta keep this thread going! Amazon does not have any firmware on their download site for the PW Gen 7. At least today, 7/1/20. It's gone.

I'm sure it is a temporary thing. I expect to see a version 5.12.6 shortly for the PW Gen 7...
zaqxsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:20 PM   #363
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Kindle firmware update seems to come out at roughly three month intervals these days. Mid July would be about the time to starting looking for the next update.

That should clarify the status of the PW3.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:38 PM   #364
PRS-T2
Connoisseur
PRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadPRS-T2 has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle PW2, Oasis 3
Apparently a 5.13.1 is underway for Voyage and newer models according to some reddit users.

Edit:
here are release notes from the download page:

Version 5.13.1 – June 2020

Here’s what's new:

New features for kids in Amazon FreeTime: Kids are getting more out of Amazon FreeTime with new features that include: a new layout, improved search, book details, and Audible support. For customers in supported marketplaces who are Amazon FreeTime Unlimited subscribers, your kids will see rows of recommended eBook and Audible content that are age-appropriate and included in your subscription. Just access Amazon FreeTime from the menu to get started.

Search: Over the next few weeks, you will see a new search experience that makes it easier to navigate through your search results in the book without losing the page you were reading. To get started, simply search for a term in your book and tap on a search result.

Dark Mode: We have made it easier for you to turn on Dark Mode. You can easily turn it on/off in Quick Actions.

Updated Page Flip Navigation: Over the next few weeks, you will see an updated Page Flip experience that makes it easier to navigate to the right page in your book. The new experience shows recently read pages as dots on the progress bar, including your most recent page read from another device. To get started, tap the top of the screen while reading to display the Reading Navigation toolbar, then tap the left Page Flip icon (single page view) at the bottom of the screen.

Performance improvements, bug fixes, and other general enhancements.

Last edited by PRS-T2; 07-06-2020 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Release notes added
PRS-T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:42 PM   #365
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Firmware 5.31.1 is out but not for the PW3. The PW3 is officially EOL. This proves it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:38 PM   #366
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Firmware 5.31.1 is out but not for the PW3. The PW3 is officially EOL. This proves it.
I plan to keep my PW3 on 5.9.6.1
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:25 PM   #367
dex87
dex87 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

No single word from Amazon...just great.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
dex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:24 PM   #368
zaqxsw
Connoisseur
zaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheese

So, 5 years and done! Gen 10 good until 2023?
Old 07-07-2020, 03:12 PM   #369
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaqxsw View Post
So, 5 years and done! Gen 10 good until 2023?
It's not that simple. The Voyage came out in 2014 and it is getting the latest firmware update.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:15 PM   #370
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It's not that simple. The Voyage came out in 2014 and it is getting the latest firmware update.
So why isn't the PW3 getting updates especially after Amazon botched the PW3 by keeping 5.12.4 on the OTA server and updating who know how many PW3s with that mess of a firmware release?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:21 AM   #371
zaqxsw
Connoisseur

This is getting some more attention!

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...-paperwhite-3/
Old 07-13-2020, 07:02 AM   #372
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Let's see, 5 years and EOL. You can still use the PW3 but no updates. So, you only got to use your Paperwhite 3 for around 50 cents a week for five years. If you read two books a year that's sort of a rip. If you read two books a week I think it's a heck of a deal. I wouldn't have survived the forced lockdown of the economy and my personal life without my Kindle, my camera, and my chromebook. Of course, that's just me.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:03 AM   #373
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaqxsw View Post
This is getting some more attention!

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...-paperwhite-3/
Hmm. That actually (without meaning to) brings up an interesting way they might be deciding when to move things onto lower support tiers. Kindles report the number of pages of books read on them (both Amazon-bought books, and just "changes of page"). This is a gross privacy invasion, sure, but it *does* let Amazon determine that "this model of Kindle is seeing increasingly little reading" and even "most people who own one have migrated to another model". This should let them rank their Kindle models so that they can stop developing firmware on the models where doing so would affect the fewest people at any given time.

(I don't know if this is what they *are* doing, but it seems like a natural development of the way AWS et al roll out big changes in any case, and I'm sure they're using all that telemetry for *something*. It's slightly buggy in that people who never turn on wifi are never counted, but it seems to me that that's exactly what people who never turn on wifi are going to want to happen. It's almost certainly a microscopic fraction of Kindle users anyway, so likely statistically insignificant for broad-brush stuff like this.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:03 AM   #374
riothamus
Connoisseur
riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Let's see, 5 years and EOL. You can still use the PW3 but no updates. So, you only got to use your Paperwhite 3 for around 50 cents a week for five years. If you read two books a year that's sort of a rip. If you read two books a week I think it's a heck of a deal. I wouldn't have survived the forced lockdown of the economy and my personal life without my Kindle, my camera, and my chromebook. Of course, that's just me.
Except, wasn't it still sold new as of 2ish years ago? I know I bought mine before the PW4 was released and it definitely wasn't 5 years ago.
riothamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:51 AM   #375
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Hmm. That actually (without meaning to) brings up an interesting way they might be deciding when to move things onto lower support tiers.
No.

The Paperwhite 3 has one of the largest install bases of all Kindle models. And the Oasis 1 (and frankly any model that costs over $200 will never see the volume of sales of the entry and midrange ereaders) received the update and it was such a highly unpopular model that it was almost immediately replaced.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote