Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-09-2010, 07:31 AM   #46
EliNoah
Enthusiast
EliNoah began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader Pocket Edition
I can think of a few that usually have romance involved or are just really good. Not sure if they have been mentioned yet.

Anya Seton--like most of hers, Katheryn is by far one of the best, also love Green Darkness, and the Turquoise.

Margaret George-lots of historical fiction

Robin Maxwell-good stuff about the Tudors and the Plantagenets.

Meant to add Jean Plaidy. Pseudonym for Victoria Holt, Phillippa Carr, but love her books.

Last edited by EliNoah; 03-09-2010 at 07:35 AM.
EliNoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #47
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Meant to add Jean Plaidy. Pseudonym for Victoria Holt, Phillippa Carr, but love her books.
She is responsible for my love of actual history. I fell into her books in my early teens, the Plaidys were my favorites, the stories were so fascinating that I had to learn more.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #48
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Have a look at Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle (Quicksilver, The Confusion and The System of the World). Stephenson's best known for his science-fiction, but this is proper historical fiction.

It's set against a background that includes the establishment of the Royal Society (and a pirate story), and features both romance and a strong female character. It's a lot better than I've made it sound, and I recommend it highly.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:04 AM   #49
Deniseg53
Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo
I would strongly recommend 'The Invisible Bridge' by Julie Orringer. It takes place just before and during WW2 in Hungary and Paris. I'm not one for ooey-gooey love stories, but there is a really good one (aka not sappy) in this book.
Deniseg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #50
melaniejaxn
Enthusiast
melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
Depending on on how far back you need to go to be 'historical', I think one of the best authors I've read this last decade is Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Start with Shadows of the Wind. Most of his books are set around the Spanish civil war.

I also adore Georgette Heyer. And not all of her books are fluff. Some are really dark. Of those available in e I really like The Reluctant Widow and The Talisman Ring.
melaniejaxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2011, 12:19 AM   #51
Deniseg53
Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo
I would also strongly recommend 'The Glass Room' by Simon Mawer, 'Those Who Save Us' by Jenna Blum and 'Sarah's Key' by Tatiana de Rosnay.
Deniseg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:46 AM   #52
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deniseg53 View Post
I would also strongly recommend 'The Glass Room' by Simon Mawer, 'Those Who Save Us' by Jenna Blum and 'Sarah's Key' by Tatiana de Rosnay.
I read 'Sarah's Key' last Saturday.
Fun read that went fast.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #53
Pax
Zealot
Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3, Sony PRS 650
If you are interested in Asia, you have to try James Clavell's "Shogun"!
Great, thrilling story, including a love story, although it is not the center of the story!

Strong recommendation!
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #54
ekeekk14
ekeekk14 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Historical Fiction Books I'd Recommend

Hey guys,

Here are some books I would recommend.. not exactly sure if they have e-book versions yet
Check them out!

Let me know if you enjoy them as much as I did!

Last edited by ekeekk14; 11-16-2011 at 04:44 PM.
ekeekk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #55
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Please take a look at this freebie from SmashWords, which I favourably reviewed. It's well-written and a must-read for anyone who likes Heyer. I have no affiliation with the author!
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/3004
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #56
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Please take a look at this freebie from SmashWords, which I favourably reviewed. It's well-written and a must-read for anyone who likes Heyer. I have no affiliation with the author!
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/3004
Got it! I must say, a year after posting this thread we got snowed in and I read several (almost all) Heyer's historical fiction. Love them!! I have reread several of them again, so I am really looking forward to Lucky in Love. Thanks for the suggestion!
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:09 AM   #57
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Thanks, I love Georgette Heyer so am looking forward to this one.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #58
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Anthony Trollope's "Barchester Towers"

It was current when written in 1857. Lots of romantic plots, comedy with an alls-well ending. I reread it every few years when I want something amusing and light.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:33 PM   #59
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax View Post
If you are interested in Asia, you have to try James Clavell's "Shogun"!
Great, thrilling story, including a love story, although it is not the center of the story!

Strong recommendation!
My only problem with James Clavell and Shogun was that he wrote a book encompassing an important period of Japanese history and he changed the names.
This would be like someone writing a book encompassing the American Revolution and changing the name of every important historical figure.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #60
autumneve
autumneve began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle wi fi only
I very much enjoyed "The Apothecary's Daughter" and would love to find more books that take place during that era.
autumneve is offline   Reply With Quote