Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-20-2018, 04:33 AM   #1
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Books

Hi Guys,

Can anyone confirm I have the correct location on PC for the Kobo App to store its downloaded books. I thought I had it correct, but the resulting file turned out gobbledegook when viewed in Calibre. Before removing DRM.

Can anyone improve on .... C:\Users\xxxxxxxyyyyyzzzzz\AppData\Local\Packages\ KoboInc.KoboBooks_vk8qsnw174y90\LocalState\Downloa dedBooks

The file I want, from that location is an ePub.

Correct?

Geoff
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:11 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That isn't where I find them on my PC. For me it is: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kepub.

The book you found will be a "kepub", not an epub. They can usually be treated as an epub, but there are some extra span tags and some extra Kobo specific CSS rules.

But, the problem is probably DRM. Kobo use their own DRM and that has to be removed to use elsewhere. If you are a calibre user, I suggest you use the Obok plugin that is part of the DRM removal tools.

Or, download them from your library on the Kobo store. This will be an epub. If the book has DRM, it will be Adobe DRM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2018, 05:19 AM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
On my Windows 7 machine I believe the kepub are stored in:

C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kepub

The files in there have no extension (and UUID names) but are of a size that suggests they are probably the few kepubs I downloaded with the kobo software.

I don't know how to get the Kobo application to download epubs. I have never really tried very hard to find out. I just download the link file and use my old Sony software to download EPUBs via Adobe ... for little reason other than it's what I started doing years ago, and mostly I prefer to have epubs. (What's the point of having standards if we don't use them?)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #4
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks all - I'll have another look for kepub files....

The books read OK in Kobo app - but not in Calibre Viewer.

I tried obok with no change, but will give it another go....
Old 05-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
GeoffC

*Solved*

I had Kobo App installed, via Windows Store, rather than KoboDesktop - Thanks Calibre for putting me on the correct path....
Advert