Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-28-2020, 07:46 AM   #46
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
1. You'd need to ask jackie_w (although she might not be interested in home screen patches).
2. Use the SmartLink patch to only show stats.

For #1, it's not specific to just the Home screen. I'm more interested in changing the font for the menu selected on the Home screen (My Books, My Collections, My Articles, Settings, Activity, etc...).

For #2, if enabled, does that remove everything else currently displayed on the Home screen (i.e. current books being read, My Books, last opened collection, Recommendations, etc...)?
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:50 AM   #47
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post

For #1, it's not specific to just the Home screen. I'm more interested in changing the font for the menu selected on the Home screen (My Books, My Collections, My Articles, Settings, Activity, etc...).
I think we just cross-posted. See my reply above yours.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2020, 08:00 AM   #48
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
This is not a patch I'll be adding to the official pack because Kobo have (had?) a general GUI rule that "if it's in italics it means it does something when you press it". I don't particularly want to promote official kobopatches which go against this.

OTOH, I do believe that if you buy something you're allowed to do whatever you like with your personal property, so I'll PM you.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:00 AM   #49
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I think we just cross-posted. See my reply above yours.
Indeed we did! Just got your PM, will read it now.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:25 PM   #50
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
"KePub stylesheet additions"

Hello everyone.

In libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml, there is this section
Code:
KePub stylesheet additions:
  - Enabled: yes
  - Description: Makes room to add some additional CSS to the default KePub stylesheet.
    # See replacement CSS below for examples.
  - FindBaseAddressString: ".KBHighlighting, .KBSearchResult {"
  - ReplaceString: {Offset:   0, Find: ".KBHighlighting, .KBSearchResult { background-color: #C6C6C6 !important; } \t",                                                                         Replace: ".KBHighlighting,.KBSearchResult{background-color:#C6C6C6!important}.KBSearch", MustMatchLength: yes}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset:  76, Find: ".KBSearchResult, .KBAnnotation, .KBHighlighting { font-size: 100% !important; -webkit-text-combine: inherit !important; } \t",                          Replace: "Result,.KBAnnotation,.KBHighlighting{font-size:100%!important;-webkit-text-combine:inherit!important}.KBAnnotation[writingM", MustMatchLength: yes}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 199, Find: ".KBAnnotation[writingMode=\"horizontal-tb\"] { border-bottom: 2px solid black !important; } \t", Replace: "ode=\"horizontal-tb\"]{border-bottom:2px solid black!important}.KBAnnotation[writingMode=\"ver", MustMatchLength: yes}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 290, Find: ".KBAnnotation[writingMode=\"vertical-rl\"] { border-right: 2px solid black !important; } \t",      Replace: "tical-rl\"]{border-right:2px solid black!important}.KBAnnotation[writingMode=\"vertical-lr", MustMatchLength: yes}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 378, Find: ".KBAnnotation[writingMode=\"vertical-lr\"] { border-left: 2px solid black !important; }",          Replace: "\"]{border-left:2px solid black!important}/******************************************/", MustMatchLength: yes}
    #
    # Replacement value: CSS string of exactly 44 characters in length:
    #
    # Example 1: Make full justification the default:
# - FindReplaceString: {Find: "/******************************************/", Replace: "body{text-align:justify                    }", MustMatchLength: yes}
    #
    # Example 2: text-rendering:optimizeSpeed: Disables kerning, but fixes some
    # rendering problems that affect fully justified text.
# - FindReplaceString: {Find: "/******************************************/", Replace: "body{text-rendering:optimizeSpeed          }", MustMatchLength: yes}
    #
    # Example 3: text-rendering:optimizeLegibility: Enables ligatures, but causes
    # some additional rendering problems for fully justified text.
# - FindReplaceString: {Find: "/******************************************/", Replace: "body{text-rendering:optimizeLegibility     }", MustMatchLength: yes}
    #
    # Example 4: Make KePub font sizes match ePub font sizes: ePubs render with
    # 1.5 times the font size of KePubs by default. With this enabled they match.
# - FindReplaceString: {Find: "/******************************************/", Replace: "#book-inner{font-size:1.5em                }", MustMatchLength: yes}
Is it enough to change from "yes" to "no", or must I do other things in that section?
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2020, 06:16 PM   #51
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
Hello everyone.

In libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml, there is this section
Code:
KePub stylesheet additions:
  - Enabled: yes
  - Description: Makes room to add some additional CSS to the default KePub stylesheet.
    # See replacement CSS below for examples.
  - FindBaseAddressString: ".KBHighlighting, .KBSearchResult {"
  - ReplaceString: {Offset:   0, Find: ".KBHighlighting, .KBSearchResult { background-color: #C6C6C6 !important; } \t",                                                                         Replace: ".KBHighlighting,.KBSearchResult{background-color:#C6C6C6!important}.KBSearch", MustMatchLength: yes}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset:  76, Find: ".KBSearchResult, .KBAnnotation, .KBHighlighting { font-size: 100% !important; -webkit-text-combine: inherit !important; } \t",                          Replace: "Result,.KBAnnotation,.KBHighlighting{font-size:100%!important;-webkit-text-combine:inherit!important}.KBAnnotation[writingM", MustMatchLength: yes}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 199, Find: ".KBAnnotation[writingMode=\"horizontal-tb\"] { border-bottom: 2px solid black !important; } \t", Replace: "ode=\"horizontal-tb\"]{border-bottom:2px solid black!important}.KBAnnotation[writingMode=\"ver", MustMatchLength: yes}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 290, Find: ".KBAnnotation[writingMode=\"vertical-rl\"] { border-right: 2px solid black !important; } \t",      Replace: "tical-rl\"]{border-right:2px solid black!important}.KBAnnotation[writingMode=\"vertical-lr", MustMatchLength: yes}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 378, Find: ".KBAnnotation[writingMode=\"vertical-lr\"] { border-left: 2px solid black !important; }",          Replace: "\"]{border-left:2px solid black!important}/******************************************/", MustMatchLength: yes}
    #
    # Replacement value: CSS string of exactly 44 characters in length:
    #
    # Example 1: Make full justification the default:
# - FindReplaceString: {Find: "/******************************************/", Replace: "body{text-align:justify                    }", MustMatchLength: yes}
    #
    # Example 2: text-rendering:optimizeSpeed: Disables kerning, but fixes some
    # rendering problems that affect fully justified text.
# - FindReplaceString: {Find: "/******************************************/", Replace: "body{text-rendering:optimizeSpeed          }", MustMatchLength: yes}
    #
    # Example 3: text-rendering:optimizeLegibility: Enables ligatures, but causes
    # some additional rendering problems for fully justified text.
# - FindReplaceString: {Find: "/******************************************/", Replace: "body{text-rendering:optimizeLegibility     }", MustMatchLength: yes}
    #
    # Example 4: Make KePub font sizes match ePub font sizes: ePubs render with
    # 1.5 times the font size of KePubs by default. With this enabled they match.
# - FindReplaceString: {Find: "/******************************************/", Replace: "#book-inner{font-size:1.5em                }", MustMatchLength: yes}
Is it enough to change from "yes" to "no", or must I do other things in that section?
It won't do anything unless you uncomment one of the lines at the bottom or add your own.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:13 AM   #52
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
It won't do anything unless you uncomment one of the lines at the bottom or add your own.
To jump on the bandwagon, uncommenting the OptimizeLegibility bit gave me an error:

'Error: could not apply patch "KePub stylesheet additions": line 1207: inst 10: FindReplaceString: FindBaseAddressString: FindBaseAddress: could not find bytes'

I'm aware of the spacing issues (old COBOL head here ), but this is something different I think.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:00 AM   #53
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
To jump on the bandwagon, uncommenting the OptimizeLegibility bit gave me an error:
I checked
Code:
          |         FindReplaceString("/******************************************/", "body{text-rendering:optimizeLegibility     }")
          |           FindBaseAddressString("/******************************************/")
          |           ReplaceString(0, "/******************************************/", "body{text-rendering:optimizeLegibility     }")
Works...

Lay out this piece of the patch.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:29 AM   #54
the_Pan
Connoisseur
the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Forma, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
Only to report that the temporary patch "Never sync dictionaries" works perfectly on firmware 1.21.15015. Thank You geek1011
How did you do this? I can't bring it to work, it only throws:
Error: could not apply patch "Never sync dictionaries": line 1543: inst 2: ReplaceBytes: could not find specified bytes at offset

EDIT: Nevermind, got it now, using the code from geek1011's site.

Last edited by the_Pan; 06-04-2020 at 05:11 AM.
the_Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:56 AM   #55
micropr
micropr began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo hd
Hi, succesfully updated my old Kobo Glo HD firmware version with this new one.

Years ago I patched 3.xx version for screen refresh extension, now I see current new default refresh max 10 but no patch for extension. Some help for this?

Hope this is the right place to post, if not please help... sorry for bad english...

Thanks in advance
micropr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:19 PM   #56
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Enabling which patch(es) gets me the most text in the top and bottom areas when reading? In other words, I want to have text go as high up and as low down of the screen, so that text will be almost "kissing" the black plastic frame.

In libnickel.so, there's
-- ePub fixed top/bottom margin
-- ePub disabled built-in body padding bottom

Another question. in the same file (libnickel.so), there's a pathc called "Force user line spacing in ePubs (part 1 of 2)". The description says that enabling it will "spoil the formatting in some books".
What formatting will be spoiled? And what books will be affected?
Old 06-30-2020, 03:13 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Enabling which patch(es) gets me the most text in the top and bottom areas when reading? In other words, I want to have text go as high up and as low down of the screen, so that text will be almost "kissing" the black plastic frame.

In libnickel.so, there's
-- ePub fixed top/bottom margin
-- ePub disabled built-in body padding bottom

Another question. in the same file (libnickel.so), there's a pathc called "Force user line spacing in ePubs (part 1 of 2)". The description says that enabling it will "spoil the formatting in some books".
What formatting will be spoiled? And what books will be affected?
The only thing that could be spoiled is dropcaps.

There's also patches for adjusting the spacing/font size of the header/footer and you can recover some space there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:16 PM   #58
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The only thing that could be spoiled is dropcaps.

There's also patches for adjusting the spacing/font size of the header/footer and you can recover some space there.
Also see https://pgaskin.net/kobopatch-patche...tch-13651.html for a demo of most of those.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:25 PM   #59
droopy
Guru

What did I do wrong? Lol.
Error message:
Code:
Patching ./usr/local/Kobo/nickel
Error: could not apply patches: could not load patch file 'src/nickel.yaml': could not parse patch file: yaml: line 314: mapping values are not allowed in this context
Complete terminal printout:
Code:
kobopatch 653070c
https://github.com/geek1011/kobopatch

Loading configuration from kobopatch.yaml
Reading input firmware zip

Patching ./usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0
  SKIP  `Allow USB storage even when device locked`
  SKIP  `Allow rotation on all devices`
  SKIP  `Allow searches on Extra dictionaries`
  APPLY `Allow showing info panel on random screensaver`
  APPLY `Always show confirmation dialog before upgrading`
  SKIP  `Block WiFi firmware upgrade`
  SKIP  `Both page turn buttons go next`
  SKIP  `Both page turn sides go next`
  SKIP  `Bulgarian Phonetic Keyboard (GloHD/ClaraHD/AuraOne/H2O2/Forma/Libra)`
  SKIP  `Change Browse Kobo home screen link target - Activity`
  SKIP  `Change Browse Kobo home screen link target - Articles`
  SKIP  `Change Wikipedia search language`
  SKIP  `Custom Sleep/Power-off timeouts`
  APPLY `Custom font sizes`
  SKIP  `Custom header/footer page number text`
  APPLY `Custom kepub default margins`
  SKIP  `Custom left & right margins`
  SKIP  `Custom navigation menu page number text`
  SKIP  `Customize ComfortLight settings`
  SKIP  `Cyrillic Keyboard (GloHD/ClaraHD/AuraOne/H2O2)`
  APPLY `DeveloperSettings - AutoUsbGadget`
  APPLY `Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height`
  APPLY `Disable all tutorial dialogs`
  SKIP  `Don't grab exclusive access to event0`
  SKIP  `Don't uppercase header/footer text`
  APPLY `Don't uppercase header/footer text and change page number text`
  APPLY `Enable advanced settings for all fonts`
  APPLY `FeatureSettings - BookSpecificStats`
  APPLY `FeatureSettings - ExportHighlights`
  SKIP  `FeatureSettings - FullScreenBrowser`
  APPLY `FeatureSettings - MyWords`
  SKIP  `FeatureSettings - ShowFacebookShare`
  SKIP  `Force user font-family in ePubs (Part 1 of 2)`
  APPLY `Force user line spacing in KePubs`
  APPLY `Force user line spacing in ePubs (part 1 of 2)`
  SKIP  `Greek Keyboard (GloHD/ClaraHD/AuraOne/H2O2)`
  SKIP  `Hide browser from beta features`
  SKIP  `Hide top-left menu item - Activity`
  SKIP  `Hide top-left menu item - Dropbox`
  APPLY `Hide top-left menu item - Pocket`
  APPLY `Hide top-left menu item - Recommended`
  APPLY `Hide top-left menu item - Store`
  APPLY `Hide top-left menu item - Wishlist`
  SKIP  `Ignore .otf fonts`
  SKIP  `Increase TOC level indentation`
  APPLY `Increase TOC level indentation and fix extra indentation bug`
  SKIP  `KePub constant font sharpness`
  SKIP  `KePub stylesheet additions`
  APPLY `Larger Sleep/Power-off timeouts`
  APPLY `My 10 line spacing values`
  SKIP  `My 24 line spacing values`
  APPLY `Never show Kobo Plus, wishlist, and points SmartLinks`
  SKIP  `Only show Pocket SmartLink`
  SKIP  `Only show stats SmartLink`
  APPLY `PowerSettings - UnlockEnabled`
  APPLY `Remove beta features not supported text`
  APPLY `Remove recommendations (row1col2) from home screen`
  APPLY `Remove title from reading header/footer`
  SKIP  `Rename new home screen footer`
  SKIP  `Replace adobe page numbers toggle with invert screen`
  SKIP  `Set KePub hyphenation`
  SKIP  `Set font scale factor`
  SKIP  `Set visible SmartLink`
  APPLY `Shorten dictionary entry not found message`
  SKIP  `Swap reading header/footer`
  SKIP  `Un-Force user font-family in KePubs`
  SKIP  `Un-Force user text-align in div,p tags in KePubs`
  SKIP  `Un-force font-family override p tags (std epubs)`
  APPLY `Un-force link decoration in KePubs`
  SKIP  `ePub constant font sharpness`
  APPLY `ePub disable built-in body padding-bottom`
  SKIP  `ePub fixed top/bottom margins`
  SKIP  `ePub uniform font scale`

Patching ./usr/local/Kobo/nickel
Error: could not apply patches: could not load patch file 'src/nickel.yaml': could not parse patch file: yaml: line 314: mapping values are not allowed in this context
I've uploaded the nickel.yaml file. Because mobileread rejected the "yaml" extension, I added ".zip" even though it's not a zip file. Simply remove the dot-zip part and open in a text editor. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nickel.yaml.zip (39.9 KB, 168 views)
Old 06-30-2020, 05:05 PM   #60
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
What did I do wrong? Lol.
You forgot to close the double quote on line 312.

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching