Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-14-2020, 01:47 AM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Instructions for patching firmware 4.20.14622

This patch thread is for firmware 4.20.14622 (8bb853a72a7c209047baedb2ef5b3c38eebf45e5):

Instructions for patching on Windows, Linux, or macOS with kobopatch:
  1. Download the Kobo firmware release
    You can find the download links here here.
  2. Download and extract the patch zip
    Download and unzip kobopatch_4.20.14622.zip from here.
  3. Copy the firmware file to the src folder
    Copy the original firmware you just downloaded into the kobopatch src folder.
  4. Install the firmware if needed
    Install the firmware on your kobo BEFORE proceeding with the next steps. You can do this by extracting the contents of the firmware zip into the .kobo folder and ejecting.
  5. Choose your patches from the files in the src folder
    Enable patches in the files in the src folder (or use the overrides in kobopatch.yaml to keep your options separate).
  6. Run kobopatch
    Double-click kobopatch.bat on Windows, or run ./kobopatch.sh on Linux or macOS. On macOS, you can drag it into the terminal and press enter (you may need to go to System Preferences - Security and Privacy - General to confirm that you actually want to run it).
  7. Install the patches by copying KoboRoot.tgz into the .kobo folder of your device
    If the patching succeeded, a file named KoboRoot.tgz will be created in the out folder. Copy it to the .kobo folder of your device. Safely remove your device once you are finished. On Linux, you may have to press Ctrl+H to show the .kobo folder.
Download
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:48 AM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Changes to the kobopatch zip:
v66 (2020-08-19): Fixed "Don't uppercase header/footer text" patches not applying to percent read text (geek1011).
v63 (2020-07-08): New "Increase page navigation history" patch (geek1011).
v61 (2020-05-19): New "Reduce height of page navigator arrows" and "Series list increase cover thumbnails" patches (jackie_w).
v60 (2020-05-01): New bulgarian keyboard patch (Svens), rewrote most libnickel patches for kobopatch v0.15.0 (geek1011), some nickel patch improvements (jackie_w).
v59 (2020-03-14): Initial release for 4.20.14622. See the release notes for more info.

Missing patches:
- None!

Notes about this firmware version:
- None.

New patches in this version:
- Svens: Bulgarian phonetic keyboard.
- jackie_w: Reduce height of page navigator arrows
- jackie_w: Series list increase cover thumbnails

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-20-2020 at 08:36 AM. Reason: v66
Advert
Old 03-14-2020, 01:48 AM   #3
geek1011
Wizard

reserved
Old 03-14-2020, 05:21 AM   #4
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
That was a quick couple of days

Thank you!
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
IanScuffling
Enthusiast
IanScuffling began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Just updated and applied the patch, successfully!

Thanks for the amazing and speedy work.
IanScuffling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2020, 09:54 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Many thanks! I can now finally update my Libra.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:58 AM   #7
Regard_39
Enthusiast
Regard_39 doesn't litterRegard_39 doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libra H2O, Kindle Oasis
I'm still not very comfortable with kobopatch and my very first update didn't go well. Do you see in the attached log what the problem is?
Attached Files
File Type: txt log.txt (192.5 KB, 440 views)
Regard_39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:10 AM   #8
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regard_39 View Post
I'm still not very comfortable with kobopatch and my very first update didn't go well. Do you see in the attached log what the problem is?
Yes. It's the "Hide all games" patch I made for you for the last version. Here's an updated one:
Code:
Hide all games:
  - Enabled: no
  - FindZlib: "#boggleContainer[devModeOn=false][qApp_deviceIsStorm=true]"
  - ReplaceZlib: {Find: "[devModeOn=false][qApp_deviceIsStorm=true]", Replace: ""} # games are hidden on storm, so make it apply to everything
Also, thanks for actually attaching a log rather than posting a small snippet or not even posting one at all!
Old 03-14-2020, 01:00 PM   #9
Regard_39
Enthusiast
Regard_39 doesn't litterRegard_39 doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libra H2O, Kindle Oasis
Wow! This is great and fast personal patch! Much appreciated. Could this patch also work with a Kobo Aura? (I don't have it on hand to test)
Regard_39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:06 PM   #10
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regard_39 View Post
Wow! This is great and fast personal patch! Much appreciated. Could this patch also work with a Kobo Aura? (I don't have it on hand to test)
Yes, it'll work on any device.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:50 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Will the original 4.20.14601 sickel patch work or do we need a new one?

Thank you everyone who worked on the patches.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-14-2020 at 01:57 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:54 PM   #12
Alanon
Connoisseur
Alanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Aura One
I seem to be missing something about dictionaries on version 4.20. I found the GitHub discussion where it was said that micthtml patching is no longer needed, and that naming custom dictionaries dicthtml and marking them read-only would bypass sync. That's what I did (I'm using Windows 10), but syncing always overrides my dictionaries? Any pointers?

As always, a big thanks to all those who labour to bring out the patches to us.
Alanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:23 PM   #13
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
On the "Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height" patch by jackie_w

I like patching the firmware. But my ability is just changing 'no' to 'yes.
I want to use jackie_w's dictiionary patch. I want to decrease line height and font size. (I'm okay for now with font family). What exactly do i change?

For example, i see
Code:
  # Un-comment and edit next line to change font-size
  #- ReplaceString: {Offset: 15, Find: "%1px", Replace: "32px", MustMatchLength: yes}
I know how to "uncomment" (remove the # symbol). But what edits must i make? Do i change the number 15? or just 32px to, say "20px"?

Also, for
Code:
  # Un-comment and edit next line to change line spacing
  #- ReplaceString: {Offset: 34, Find: "1.40em", Replace: "1.30em", MustMatchLength: yes}
What must i change? Do I keep the 34 offset as is? Or should I change the number 34 to some other number? Should I change 1.30em to some smaller number, or is 1.30em already a smaller number relative to the 1.40em?

Thanks.

Code:
Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height:
  - Enabled: yes
  - Description: |
      This patch allows you to to customise the appearance of the text 
      in the pop-up and full-screen dictionary widgets.
      4.17.13651: improved to also reduce the blank lines displayed in many 
                  sideloaded custom dictionaries which contain <blockquote>.
      See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3521137&postcount=48
      for screenshots
      You can change one or more of the following properties:
      - font-family
      - font-size
      - line-height
      These are the Kobo defaults
                Glo - Georgia  23px  1.4em
                H2O - Georgia  29px  1.4em
              GloHD - Georgia  32px  1.4em
            AuraONE - Georgia  42px  1.4em
  #
  # Stage 1: Change DictionaryView to remove %variables
  # from:
  #    * { font: %1px %2; line-height: 1.4em; }
  #    div.descriptionFont { font-family: %3; }
  #    ol { font-size: %1px; font-weight: bold; margin-left: %4em; margin-top: 0px; }
  #    ol p { font-size: %1px; font-weight:normal; }
  # to:
  #    * { font-size: %1px; line-height: 1.40em;font-family: Georgia                       ;}
  #    ol {margin-left:1em; margin-top:0}
  #    blockquote {margin:0.3em 0 0.3em 1em} blockquote>blockquote {margin:-0.3em 0 0 2em}
  #
  # ##### N.B. Do not change the next 4 lines #####
  - FindReplaceString:
      Find:    "* { font: %1px %2; line-height: 1.4em; }\ndiv.descriptionFont { font-family: %3; }\nol { font-size: %1px; font-weight: bold; margin-left: %4em; margin-top: 0px; }\nol p { font-size: %1px; font-weight:normal; }\n"
      Replace: "* { font-size: %1px; line-height: 1.40em;font-family: Georgia                       ;}\n\nol {margin-left:1em; margin-top:0}\nblockquote {margin:0.3em 0 0.3em 1em} blockquote>blockquote {margin:-0.3em 0 0 2em}\n"
      MustMatchLength: yes
  # ##### N.B. Do not change anything above this line #####
  #
  # Stage 2: N.B. You MUST keep old and new strings EXACTLY the same length
  #
  # Notes for changing font-family:
  #   1.  Pad the shorter of the old/new strings with spaces to 
  #       keep same length for both strings (see examples below)
  #
  #   2.  If the new font-family name (max. 29 chars) contains any spaces it 
  #       should be wrapped in 'single quotes' (see examples 2, 3)
  #
  #   3.  To change from Georgia to the Kobo default sans-serif font, Avenir, 
  #       use either one of the following to achieve the same result:
  #       - sans-serif
  #       - 'Avenir Next Medium'
  # 
  # Un-comment ONE ONLY of the following ReplaceString examples 
  #   to change dictionary font-family from default Georgia:
  #     - to a different built-in font
  #     - to one of your sideloaded custom fonts
  #
  #- ReplaceString: {Offset: 54, Find: "Georgia   ", Replace: "sans-serif", MustMatchLength: yes}
  #- ReplaceString: {Offset: 54, Find: "Georgia    ", Replace: "'Gill Sans'", MustMatchLength: yes}
  #- ReplaceString: {Offset: 54, Find: "Georgia      ", Replace: "'Kobo Nickel'", MustMatchLength: yes}
  #- ReplaceString: {Offset: 54, Find: "Georgia ", Replace: "Bookerly", MustMatchLength: yes}
  #
  #- ReplaceString: {Offset: 15, Find: "%1px", Replace: "32px", MustMatchLength: yes}
  #
  # Un-comment and edit next line to change line spacing
  #- ReplaceString: {Offset: 34, Find: "1.40em", Replace: "1.30em", MustMatchLength: yes}
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:36 PM   #14
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
I like patching the firmware. But my ability is just changing 'no' to 'yes.
I want to use jackie_w's dictiionary patch. I want to decrease line height and font size. (I'm okay for now with font family). What exactly do i change?

For example, i see
Code:
I know how to "uncomment" (remove the # symbol). But what edits must i make? Do i change the number 15? or just 32px to, say "20px"?
Un-comment as required then customise by changing ONLY the value for "Replace". Do not change any "Offset" or "Find" values.

Regarding line spacing ... 1.40em is the default, a smaller number will display the dictionary definition lines closer together.

You must keep each "Replace" value exactly the same length as the "Find" value.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:40 PM   #15
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
what did I do wrong?

The .bat file aborts just as it opens the nickel file (which I annex as a .txt file). I have read and reread what I have done to it, checking with a printout I have of the 4.18.13737 version, which worked ever since, and can't see where I went wrong. Can anybody help me?
Many thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: txt nickel.yaml.txt (32.8 KB, 396 views)
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching