Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-04-2020, 05:05 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by strindberg View Post
I have a couple of epub files that refuse to convert using kepubify. The problem seems to be that they contain too many files. Is this a known problem?

Example output:

❯*kepubify -i -v --smarten-punctuation .
Kepubify 3.0.0

[ 1/ 1] Converting Mastering PostgreSQL 9.6 - Hans-Jurgen Schonig.epub
=> Mastering PostgreSQL 9.6 - Hans-Jurgen Schonig.kepub.epub
Error: transform content: open content file "/var/folders/0k/j_n2m4x1489ck97y60vbkqvm0000gn/T/kepubify415134906/unpacked/b9a63f89-743e-4c02-a803-d3eddf192558.xhtml": open /var/folders/0k/j_n2m4x1489ck97y60vbkqvm0000gn/T/kepubify415134906/unpacked/b9a63f89-743e-4c02-a803-d3eddf192558.xhtml: too many open files

1 total: 0 converted, 0 skipped, 1 errored

Errors:
"Mastering PostgreSQL 9.6 - Hans-Jurgen Schonig.epub"
=> "Mastering PostgreSQL 9.6 - Hans-Jurgen Schonig.kepub.epub"
Error: <nil>
Smartening the punctuation is not a good idea as the examples with quotes are not meant to be smart, They are meant to be straight quotes. You will spoil the examples.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-04-2020 at 05:19 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:15 PM   #62
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Where did this eBook come from? I'm asking because I don't know of many commercial eBooks that aren't using the curly quotes.
Many programming books don't use curly quotes (at least in code examples; body text might be different) because they're not something you can easily type on a keyboard and if you're used to looking at code examples all the time, they can either look weird or confusing or not even work right if you're copy/pasting a code snippet from an e-book on a computer to use in a program.

But I won't judge someone who wants to smarten them regardless. To each their own.

Last edited by rtiangha; 03-04-2020 at 05:18 PM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2020, 05:17 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
Many programming books don't use curly quotes because they're not something you can easily type on a keyboard and if you're used to looking at code examples all the time, they can either look weird or confusing.

But I won't judge someone who wants to smarten them regardless. To each their own.
With a programming book you do not want to smarten the punctuation as that will also change the programming examples where the quotes are not meant to be smart.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:22 PM   #64
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Where did this eBook come from? I'm asking because I don't know of many commercial eBooks that aren't using the curly quotes.
The original is from Packt Publishing and does use quite a few single straight quotes in the programming examples. Not a book that needs to have curly quotes used though I hope feeding a string in curly quotes would be rejected as invalid input.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:05 PM   #65
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
I have a couple of epub files that refuse to convert using kepubify. The problem seems to be that they contain too many files. Is this a known problem?
That's a bug (FD leak). I'll look into it later this week.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2020, 06:06 PM   #66
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Smartening the punctuation is not a good idea as the examples with quotes are not meant to be smart, They are meant to be straight quotes. You will spoil the examples.
Kepubify will avoid smartening punctuation in pre elements.
Old 03-04-2020, 06:15 PM   #67
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:

Example output:

❯*kepubify -i -v --smarten-punctuation .
Kepubify 3.0.0

[ 1/ 1] Converting Mastering PostgreSQL 9.6 - Hans-Jurgen Schonig.epub
=> Mastering PostgreSQL 9.6 - Hans-Jurgen Schonig.kepub.epub
Error: transform content: open content file "/var/folders/0k/j_n2m4x1489ck97y60vbkqvm0000gn/T/kepubify415134906/unpacked/b9a63f89-743e-4c02-a803-d3eddf192558.xhtml": open /var/folders/0k/j_n2m4x1489ck97y60vbkqvm0000gn/T/kepubify415134906/unpacked/b9a63f89-743e-4c02-a803-d3eddf192558.xhtml: too many open files

1 total: 0 converted, 0 skipped, 1 errored

Errors:
"Mastering PostgreSQL 9.6 - Hans-Jurgen Schonig.epub"
=> "Mastering PostgreSQL 9.6 - Hans-Jurgen Schonig.kepub.epub"
Error: <nil>

If you are on Linux you could try to increase the number of allowed opened files for your user.
Consult your distribution documentation, but it should be something similar to next example:

In file /etc/security/limits.conf add a new line near the end:

Code:
<username>            soft    nofile          1000
and change that 1000 with a bigger number.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:01 PM   #68
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Kepubify will avoid smartening punctuation in pre elements.
Good attempt at problem avoidance but FWIW, if my own computing books are typical, none of them use <pre> tags for code samples. They use <code> or <tt> or just a simple <span> or <p> or <div> with a CSS class specifying font-family:monospace.

As per usual there are no ebook standards that publishers stick to.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:06 PM   #69
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Good attempt at problem avoidance but FWIW, if my own computing books are typical, none of them use <pre> tags for code samples. They use <code> or <tt> or just a simple <span> or <p> or <div> with a CSS class specifying font-family:monospace.

As per usual there are no ebook standards that publishers stick to.
It does those too (other than the CSS one): https://github.com/geek1011/kepubify...nsform.go#L246
Old 03-15-2020, 01:27 AM   #70
lealla
Enthusiast
lealla will become famous soon enoughlealla will become famous soon enoughlealla will become famous soon enoughlealla will become famous soon enoughlealla will become famous soon enoughlealla will become famous soon enoughlealla will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi, I'm really struggling to permanently change my options in kepubify.
I want to drag and drop an epub, and have it convert to kepub, with the extension kepub (for calibre) and not have the word 'converted' at the end. But although I can run cmd and get the list of options for kepubify.exe, I can't seem to execute the correct command to make the change.

i.e, if I do E:\Stuff\Programs\Kepubify> kepubify.exe -inplace or even something like kepubify.exe -o --calibre

...nothing happens.

Can you please let me know the exact code to use? Thanks!
lealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 02:29 AM   #71
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lealla View Post
I want to drag and drop an epub, and have it convert to kepub, with the extension kepub (for calibre) and not have the word 'converted' at the end. But although I can run cmd and get the list of options for kepubify.exe, I can't seem to execute the correct command to make the change.

i.e, if I do E:\Stuff\Programs\Kepubify> kepubify.exe -inplace or even something like kepubify.exe -o --calibre

...nothing happens.

Options take two dashes.

Code:
kepubify.exe --inplace
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 02:30 AM   #72
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:

...nothing happens.

Try making a batch file like:

Code:
@cd %~dp0
@kepubify.exe --inplace --calibre %*
Old 03-15-2020, 04:50 AM   #73
lealla
Enthusiast
lealla will become famous soon enoughlealla will become famous soon enoughlealla will become famous soon enoughlealla will become famous soon enoughlealla will become famous soon enoughlealla will become famous soon enoughlealla will become famous soon enough

Thanks - sorry, I did try that (was a typo above).

It just displays all the options all over again - i.e whether I'm running cmd direct from the folder:

E:\Programs\Kepubify>kepubify.exe --inplace

or even E:\Programs\Kepubify\kepubify.exe --inplace

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for your help
Old 03-15-2020, 04:52 AM   #74
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Thanks - sorry, I did try that (was a typo above).

It just displays all the options all over again - i.e whether I'm running cmd direct from the folder:

E:\Programs\Kepubify>kepubify.exe --inplace

or even E:\Programs\Kepubify\kepubify.exe --inplace

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for your help
Are you using kepubify 3? Because the older version doesn't have that option afaik.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...24#post3942624
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:13 AM   #75
lealla
Enthusiast

Thank you - yes I am using V3.
Here's what I get when I type the following:

Quote:
C:\Users\lealla>E:\Programs\Kepubify\kepubify.exe --inplace
Usage: kepubify [options] input_path [input_path]...

Version:
kepubify v3.1.0

General Options:
-v, --verbose Show extra information in output
--version Show the version
-h, --help Show this help text

Output Options:
-u, --update Don't reconvert files which have already been converted (i.e. don't overwrite output files)
-i, --inplace Don't add the _converted suffix to converted files and directories
--no-preserve-dirs Flatten the directory structure of the input (an error will be shown if there are conflicts)
-o, --output string [>1 inputs || 1 file input with existing dir output]: Directory to place converted files/dirs under; [1 file input with
nonexistent output]: Output filename; [1 dir input]: Output directory for contents of input (default: current directory)
--calibre Use .kepub instead of .kepub.epub as the output extension (for Calibre compatibility, only use if you know what you are doing)
-x, --copy strings Copy files with the specified extension (with a leading period) to the output unchanged (no effect if the filename ends up the same)

Conversion Options:
--smarten-punctuation Smarten punctuation (smart quotes, dashes, etc) (excluding pre and code tags)
-c, --css stringArray Custom CSS to add to ebook
--hyphenate Force enable hyphenation
--no-hyphenate Force disable hyphenation
--fullscreen-reading-fixes Enable fullscreen reading bugfixes based on https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=16
-r, --replace stringArray Find and replace on all html files (repeat any number of times) (format: find|replace)

Links:
Website - https://pgaskin.net/kepubify
Source Code - https://github.com/geek1011/kepubify
Bugs/Support - https://github.com/geek1011/kepubify/issues
MobileRead - http://mr.gd/forums/showthread.php?t=295287
And then my files still are named: filename_converted.kepub.epub when I drag and drop. Feeling very confused but appreciate the help!

--

Tags
conversion, epub, kepub, kepubify