Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-01-2018, 09:24 AM   #1
justerman
justerman began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW 2013
can I format horizontal rules?

I'm creating a book that includes horizontal rules (i.e. the <hr> tag). The rules are visible in my book but they are faint and I'd like to make them more noticeable.

I've tried adding the following to the style sheet:
hr {height: 10px;}
but the formating seems to be ignored.

So my question is: has anyone succeeded in formatting horizontal rules in a kindle book, and if so, how?

Thanks.
justerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:26 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
You might embed an image.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #3
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
In my Nadsat dictionary I use
Code:
        <style>

hr {
                 border: white;
                 background-color: #992211;
                 height: 6px
            }
        </style>
and it works fine.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:03 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Kindle Formats forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:01 AM   #5
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
It probably depends on which format you are using.

If you are converting from epub to AZW3, yes you should be able to format your <hr> to be thicker (I have used as much as 8 pt.)

But if you are converting to OLD Mobi, I think that will not honor any such styling. Anyway, when I ran a test conversion, my fat 6-pt <hr> turned out very anorexic, looking only like 1 pixel.

You might try putting a second <hr> underneath the first so you have a very widely-spaced double line. Otherwise, for old Mobi, as Tomsem suggests, an image might be your best option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doubleHR.png
Views:	257
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	162581  
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:04 AM   #6
justerman

Works fine for me too. Thany you PoP.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:12 AM   #7
justerman

I’m using kindlegen to convert from html to .mobi (I assume old mobi in your terms), then I email the doc for Amazon to convert

PoP’s code works fine for me. I don’t know why mine was deficient

Thanks for responding.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:03 AM   #8
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by justerman View Post

So my question is: has anyone succeeded in formatting horizontal rules in a kindle book, and if so, how?

Thanks.
If you are going to work with .kf8 (not the old .mobi format) then don't use <hr> tags but "borders" since you can do whatever by styling borders. For example, watch the borders I employed in the following screenshots of a .kf8 ebook:

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-36186.gif
Views:	411
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	162582 Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-36187.gif
Views:	369
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	162583

You can do something like that by reducing the height of <hx>, <div> or <p> tag to 2 or 3px and then to style the upper and bottom border as you wish. Of course, all that only works with .kf8 (not old .mobi).

Regards
Rubén
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:54 PM   #9
justerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
It probably depends on which format you are using.

If you are converting from epub to AZW3, yes you should be able to format your <hr> to be thicker (I have used as much as 8 pt.)

But if you are converting to OLD Mobi, I think that will not honor any such styling. Anyway, when I ran a test conversion, my fat 6-pt <hr> turned out very anorexic, looking only like 1 pixel.

You might try putting a second <hr> underneath the first so you have a very widely-spaced double line. Otherwise, for old Mobi, as Tomsem suggests, an image might be your best option.
Thanks GrannyGrump. I do produce a .azw3, and PoP’s style has worked for me.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:33 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
If you are going to work with .kf8 (not the old .mobi format) then don't use <hr> tags but "borders" since you can do whatever by styling borders. For example, watch the borders I employed in the following screenshots of a .kf8 ebook:

Attachment 162582 Attachment 162583

You can do something like that by reducing the height of <hx>, <div> or <p> tag to 2 or 3px and then to style the upper and bottom border as you wish. Of course, all that only works with .kf8 (not old .mobi).

Regards
Rubén
Rubén:

I would also mention that from time to time, we've seen border coding backfire in the iOS devices. I don't remember all of it, right off the top of my head, but...it seems to me that it's the one area, in iOS, where it's almost like you're still dealing with KF7, rather than the updated KF8 that iOS now displays pretty well.

Offered solely FWIW...if someone comes along and has an issue, they'll know that they're not the only one.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:04 AM   #11
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Rubén:

I would also mention that from time to time, we've seen border coding backfire in the iOS devices. I don't remember all of it, right off the top of my head, but...it seems to me that it's the one area, in iOS, where it's almost like you're still dealing with KF7, rather than the updated KF8 that iOS now displays pretty well.

Offered solely FWIW...if someone comes along and has an issue, they'll know that they're not the only one.

Hitch
Hi Hitch;

It's good to be aware of what you said. Particularly, I didn't know about that "border behaviour" with Kindle under iOS. It's also very good to have an expert in Kindle like you in this forum since we can always learn something new.

Regards
Rubén
Old 03-09-2018, 02:21 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
Hi Hitch;

It's good to be aware of what you said. Particularly, I didn't know about that "border behaviour" with Kindle under iOS. It's also very good to have an expert in Kindle like you in this forum since we can always learn something new.

Regards
Rubén
Aw, c'mon...I just see a lot of stuff. I'm no expert. Seriously. These days, I mostly push paper and answer the phones, LOL!

But thanks for the kind words.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:41 PM   #13
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Aw, c'mon...I just see a lot of stuff. I'm no expert. Seriously. These days, I mostly push paper and answer the phones, LOL!

But thanks for the kind words.

Hitch
Perhaps the words were kind but it does not stop being true