Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-06-2018, 01:07 PM   #31
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninma View Post
I'm hoping this FW update eliminates some odd behavior I've been seeing where page turns don't turn a full screen. (7" Oasis)

It's incredibly disorienting. You flip the page and it's moved forward 1/3 of a page and you're all disoriented. I've seen it in the last 2 books I've read.

I'm not sure I really care about any of the stuff they're publicly talking about.

But if there really is a page turn bug that's so serious it'd be embarrassing for them to admit. I've had a ton of e-readers and never seen this behavior before, it's probably the worst bug (short of a crash) that I've seen.
I have not seen that on my Oasis. That would be annoying and very noticeable. But not something that shows on my device.

Only thing I have had issue with was time left reading in book. I haven't noticed it again after it had come back for a while.

Just for fun I put the clock there. Its so distracting to me that I couldn't read. I kept looking at the clock. Probably because I am not used to having anything up there. Not something I'll ever use.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:07 PM   #32
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninma View Post
I'm hoping this FW update eliminates some odd behavior I've been seeing where page turns don't turn a full screen. (7" Oasis)

It's incredibly disorienting. You flip the page and it's moved forward 1/3 of a page and you're all disoriented. I've seen it in the last 2 books I've read.

I'm not sure I really care about any of the stuff they're publicly talking about.

But if there really is a page turn bug that's so serious it'd be embarrassing for them to admit. I've had a ton of e-readers and never seen this behavior before, it's probably the worst bug (short of a crash) that I've seen.
On my Voyage, I have occasionally had it skip over a page - page back, page forward, still skips - hope that is fixed too. And yes, never seen such a thing until relatively recently.

Last edited by tomsem; 02-06-2018 at 01:14 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:11 PM   #33
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
They have also improved the content error reporting facility to divide it more logically into typos and other types of report. Not a change I sought particularly, but quite useful.
Including ‘Plot error’ ‘factual error’. Be careful what you ask for!
Old 02-06-2018, 01:25 PM   #34
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Including ‘Plot error’ ‘factual error’. Be careful what you ask for!
So I guess objective factual errors are going to be lost in a haystack of subjective factual errors.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:09 PM   #35
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Update went well on both my Oasis 2 and Voyage. Started using the time setting in the latter, find it really convenient when reading while on the way to an appointment.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:25 PM   #36
SamP
SamP began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Since applying this FW update, my well-used 6th Gen PW seems to be draining the battery at an alarming rate.
I'm now recharging it on a daily basis.

Is my experience just a one-off?

Airplane mode on. Screen brightness @ ~ 20%. (No change from prior settings)
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:43 PM   #37
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I installed it on my Voyage yesterday and charged it right after that. I read a bit last night although it wasn't a very long session and I can't see that the battery is down at all so far.

I have a Paperwhite 3 to install it on but I haven't gotten around to that yet. I'll know more when I do.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:15 PM   #38
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
They do seem to only implement features that no one is asking for.
Actually, a lot of us, including myself, have asked for the clock feature. I wish it was a bit bigger (I have eye damage and have to put it right up to my face to read), but I'm happy that it's there. At home, I can just look at the clock. When at appointments, I have to get my Itouch out to see the time. Now I can just look at the top of the book.

SamP, don't know on the drain. I'm just getting it installed on the PPW2. Have you tried a RESTART again?

Last edited by Tarana; 02-08-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:54 AM   #39
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamP View Post
Since applying this FW update, my well-used 6th Gen PW seems to be draining the battery at an alarming rate.
I'm now recharging it on a daily basis.

Is my experience just a one-off?

Airplane mode on. Screen brightness @ ~ 20%. (No change from prior settings)
Most or at least many updates trigger reindexing of all of the content on the device. That will cause faster battery drain until it is done. It can take hours if you have a lot of stuff on there.

If it persists it may be because of a corrupt file. To check indexing status, go to Home screen and search for ‘.’ (I.e. a single period). On the ensuing search results page, tap Text in Books, and it may show Items Not Yet Indexed. Tap on that and it will show names of things it is indexing. Deleting these and redownloading should fix things.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:57 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Most or at least many updates trigger reindexing of all of the content on the device. That will cause faster battery drain until it is done. It can take hours if you have a lot of stuff on there.
I have never had an update trigger indexing in all the literally dozens of updates I've applied to Kindles from the K3 onwards. Given that I always have thousands of books on my Kindle, believe me, I'd know if it ever had!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:15 AM   #41
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have never had an update trigger indexing in all the literally dozens of updates I've applied to Kindles from the K3 onwards. Given that I always have thousands of books on my Kindle, believe me, I'd know if it ever had!
You might not notice, it happens in background and apart from perhaps some sluggishness you would have to check to know for sure.

But it is not uncommon for people to complain about faster than usual battery drain after an update and this indexing is the only explanation I have ever heard of or experienced. I don’t normally check to see if it is indexing after an update but in the interests of ‘science’ I will do so next time. And I have had corrupt content that resulted in battery drain because indexing got stuck. So it is worth a check IMO.

Last edited by tomsem; 02-09-2018 at 04:18 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:16 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I do check. Always. And it's never happened. (To me.)

I completely agree, though, that indexing is the first thing that should be checked if abnormal battery drain is noticed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:21 AM   #43
oblox
Zealot
oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (7th Gen)
Anyone else having an odd new refresh issue? Sometimes when changing page the screen will flicker 3 times after the new page loads. Never done this before.

Paperwhite Gen 7
oblox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:55 AM   #44
reinsley
Connoisseur
reinsley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Spring 2016, the release 5.7.2.1 has got a battery drain bug.
Fixed in 5.7.2.2.

Autonomy reading was down to two days.
After the fix, my battery autonomy fall down from 5 weeks to 2 weeks.
A Lion battery should not got to zero.

You will see soon if your autonomy is weak.

FYI, Amazon send me a new KPPW (same 6th gen) full warranty, for free. My shaken KPPW was out of warranty, one year and half.

Best regards

Last edited by reinsley; 02-09-2018 at 07:58 AM.
reinsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:00 AM   #45
reinsley
Connoisseur
reinsley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblox View Post
Anyone else having an odd new refresh issue?
Paperwhite Gen 7
What about a reinit ?
reinsley is offline   Reply With Quote