Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 05:17 AM   #1
tinonino
tinonino began at the beginning.

Device: HTC/Android
Question Save metadata in eBook

Hello.

I really like calibre, but I have a little problem, perhaps because I'm a newbie with ebooks, calibre and all this staff. I read FAQ, saw a few videotutorials but not answer for me.

My point is that I change tags of my ebooks with calibre, but when I send it to my device, the metadata (author, title...) are the same. I suppose that metadata I changed with calibre were saved in a local data base and not in the epub file.

Can I save this tags in my ebooks so I can mantain a only real version of the book?

Thx.
tinonino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:13 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinonino View Post
My point is that I change tags of my ebooks with calibre, but when I send it to my device, the metadata (author, title...) are the same. I suppose that metadata I changed with calibre were saved in a local data base and not in the epub file.

Can I save this tags in my ebooks so I can mantain a only real version of the book?
You are correct when you say, the metadata I changed with calibre were saved in a local data base and not in the epub file.

BUT If you sent the file to your device using the Send to device (or save to disk or connect to folder) feature then that metadata should be written to the epub as it is transferred to your device.

On the other hand if you just drilled down in the file structure, found the book, and dragged it to your device then you have no chance of having the metadata transferred to the book because you circumvented the way calibre is designed.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
tinonino
tinonino began at the beginning.

Device: HTC/Android
Thumbs up

Yes, you were right. I was copying ebooks to my HTC manually. I did what you said, using send to device tool and all metadata copied too.

Thank you very much dude
tinonino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
Benni-chan
Benni-chan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Thanks for the Info. Had the same problem.
But it would be nice, if you could tell calibre to embed the metadata into the epub file.
I'm using calibre2opds and upload the whole calibre database (including the catalog) to my webspace. But that way, the metadata in the epub files isn't correct.

Hope you can understand, what I mean.
Benni-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benni-chan View Post
Thanks for the Info. Had the same problem.
But it would be nice, if you could tell calibre to embed the metadata into the epub file.
I'm using calibre2opds and upload the whole calibre database (including the catalog) to my webspace. But that way, the metadata in the epub files isn't correct.

Hope you can understand, what I mean.
You can convert EPUB->EPUB to embed changed metadata. By default, Calibre tries not to change your original file when it is imported. I prefer that philosophy, as I want to keep my original without any changes until I'm sure the changes haven't caused a problem. Using Save to Disk or Send to Device, Calibre also updates the metadata. Unfortunately, the way calibre2opds is designed, it accesses the file directly, so you do not get updated metadata unless you do the EPUB->EPUB conversion.

Last edited by Starson17; 08-15-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
Benni-chan
Benni-chan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Wow, thanks for the quick answer. Works like a charm
Benni-chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, epub, metadata, tags