Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 06-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #46
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
The main attraction is the easy pay option, though - for those of us on a budget who can't always shell out the full price at once.
...I'm in no position to offer anyone financial advice, but the above statement sounds like ominous foreshadowing to me.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #47
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
If you root it to the CM-whatever, can it be returned to the B&N stock if you need to return it for some reason?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #48
Sukiyaki
Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T-2, Nook HD+
Quote:
That's interesting that they're having it on the Special Value again. They just did that with the Nook HD at the beginning of May.

The price of $169.00 for the 32GB is actually cheaper than the sale price in store of $179. Not to mention the easy pay option of $33.99. Hell, if I didn't already own it, I'd buy it again.

They just announced that they've sold 20,000 so far.
They basically sold all 40,000 today. They said they had 1500 nooks left and 1000 people waiting on phone lines, that's not counting anyone ordering via the website and some may order more than one.
Sukiyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #49
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Well I was able to order one just now. It was $10 more since the daily special price was over. So 4 payments of $50.

I told my husband and he's claimed it for his trip to the beach next month.

Last edited by booklover6; 06-24-2013 at 09:04 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #50
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
...I'm in no position to offer anyone financial advice, but the above statement sounds like ominous foreshadowing to me.
Not foreshadowing - just the realities of early-out retirement. One becomes an expert juggler.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #51
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
If you root it to the CM-whatever, can it be returned to the B&N stock if you need to return it for some reason?
That, I do not know. I used the N2A card method precisely so I wouldn't void the warranty.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #52
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
They basically sold all 40,000 today. They said they had 1500 nooks left and 1000 people waiting on phone lines, that's not counting anyone ordering via the website and some may order more than one.
That is one big broadening of the customer base in one fell swoop! (Not to mention a nice chunk of change - 40,000 x $169 = $6,760,000 ) I would imagine that the same probably happened earlier when they had the Nook HD as their TSV at the beginning of May.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #53
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Well I was able to order one just now. It was $10 more since the daily special price was over. So 4 payments of $50.

I told my husband and he's claimed it for his trip to the beach next month.
What are the realistic chances of him actually getting his hands on it? LOL

I'm finding that I like reading magazines and catalogs on the HD+. There's usually a "view article" function on the magazine display that reformats the article into a single column with a larger font making it easy to read. And the catalogs, if you touch the image of the item you're interested in, will bring up the info about that item in a separate window.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #54
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
What are the realistic chances of him actually getting his hands on it? LOL

I'm finding that I like reading magazines and catalogs on the HD+. There's usually a "view article" function on the magazine display that reformats the article into a single column with a larger font making it easy to read. And the catalogs, if you touch the image of the item you're interested in, will bring up the info about that item in a separate window.
Heh, if he likes it, it can be "his." I have no problem with that. The kids will be able to use it when he's not. As for me, as far as I know I have no interest in using it, though of course I will be maintaining it, adding apps, putting on a launcher, all that stuff. My fun will be playing with it like that.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #55
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Yes.

The typical tool that is used to root and/or flash custom ROM (e.g., CM10), such as Clockwork Mod Recovery, can also be used to make a backup of the HD/HD+'s current ROM (including B&N stock ROM) and later restore it when needed; see http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2062613.

You can also easily create a CM10.1 SDcard and run CM10.1 off SDcard without modifying any part of the HD/HD+ stock ROM -- see http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2300132.

Last edited by livramax; 06-24-2013 at 04:46 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #56
Sukiyaki
Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T-2, Nook HD+
My new nook hd+ already came. Qvc is fast.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Sukiyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #57
Cgray
Cgray began at the beginning.

Device: none
So, it looks like the Nook HD+ may be soon going away. Now, on the one hand, that could be bad for support.

On the other hand, especially once flashed to unfettered Android, it's a HECK of a budget tablet for people who dn't need gps or a camera. AT the current price, accepting that long-term support is likely a no-go, what do people think of buying it as a budget tablet option?
Cgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #58
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgray View Post
So, it looks like the Nook HD+ may be soon going away. Now, on the one hand, that could be bad for support.

On the other hand, especially once flashed to unfettered Android, it's a HECK of a budget tablet for people who dn't need gps or a camera. AT the current price, accepting that long-term support is likely a no-go, what do people think of buying it as a budget tablet option?
I'm very happy with mine, although its my first non apple device so I have no idea how it compares to other android devices. I bought mine from an established retailer in the UK that offered a 2 year warranty, plus I have insured it via my credit card for an additional 2 years free of charge. If anything goes wrong I'll let them deal with it. As for day to day support I have no intention of buying anything from B&N, and so far it works perfectly so I don't really expect to need them.

I pretty much assumed that for issues I would be dealing with the retailer/insurance company so I'm not bothered by what happens to Nook.

Last edited by Josieb1; 06-26-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #59
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgray View Post

It's a great budget tablet. If you want to try out tablets and don't want to spend a lot of money, go for it, and just set your support expectations from 'major company' to 'XDA forums'. Honestly, the XDA forums are pretty nice and willing to answer questions, and the Nook isn't as complicated as a PC. There's not a lot that can go wrong with it.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #60
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
If you want to try out tablets and don't want to spend a lot of money, go for it, and just set your support expectations from 'major company' to 'XDA forums'.
When has a major company ever been a better support resource than a forum of enthusiastic and knowledgeable users?
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote