Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-13-2010, 09:25 AM   #16
Davet
Davet began at the beginning.

Device: none
I like the concept of the nook color, however I just didn't really know if the extra $$ was worth is since I only plan as using it as an ereader. And, yeah, I don't really care that much about wireless, I have alot of ebooks on my pc that I haven't read yet (mainly because I can't stand sitting here staring at the monitor for that long) I had thought about the kindle for a while, but after playing with it I just thought it felt...cheap. I think I'm gonna spend some time browsing the bookstores while I'm waiting to get plowed out (man I hate snow!)
Davet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:30 AM   #17
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davet View Post
I like the concept of the nook color, however I just didn't really know if the extra $$ was worth is since I only plan as using it as an ereader. And, yeah, I don't really care that much about wireless, I have alot of ebooks on my pc that I haven't read yet (mainly because I can't stand sitting here staring at the monitor for that long) I had thought about the kindle for a while, but after playing with it I just thought it felt...cheap. I think I'm gonna spend some time browsing the bookstores while I'm waiting to get plowed out (man I hate snow!)
Yeah, going to Best Buy is your best way to compare. But as a Kindle owner and former Nook owner, I would like to say Kindle 3 is not cheap at all, actually, it's lighter but sturdy at same time. The buttons mechanism is softer and less prone to sudden breaks than Nook, something that is a well known issue with Nook 1st gen buttons.

I never had any hardware issues with my Nook, but Kindles are not cheap at all.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #18
pgnds
Patty
pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-3, Fire 1st & 5 gen 8"
I have had my Kindle 3 now for 2 months and no issues. As for the Nookcolor, I do have problems with the touch screen not responding and not turning the page or turning the pages back with holding it by only one side. I was thinking of call and seeing if this is my unit or just what happens from time to time. Like all computer you do have to restart them.
pgnds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #19
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgnds View Post
I have had my Kindle 3 now for 2 months and no issues. As for the Nookcolor, I do have problems with the touch screen not responding and not turning the page or turning the pages back with holding it by only one side. I was thinking of call and seeing if this is my unit or just what happens from time to time. Like all computer you do have to restart them.
If one reboot doesn't solve the problem, then return it.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #20
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
I've got a Sony, Kindle and the Nook color. Without a doubt the NC is the best. Can read under any light conditions and the touch screen is so much more intuitive to use + mags are a real pleasure on the NC.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #21
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgnds View Post
Like all computer you do have to restart them.
Not totally correct

Nook runs on top of Linux, and you should NEVER, EVER, need to restart a Linux box to fix an issue unless the application has a memory leak or there is a software's bug. Linux is not like Windows... Windows is a crappy operating system, easier to use for some though.

If I was you, I would bring your Nook Color to a B&N store and check with another one. But I would not be surprise if that's just a normal "behavior" which will be corrected on next firmware upgrade.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:57 PM   #22
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I LOVE MY NOOK COLOR !!!!!
Being a bit over 50 years old, my eyesight is not what it was 20 years ago and the back lit screen is wonderful for me. I can sit anywhere and read without a glaring clip-on light or extra room light. I love it to read in bed or while husband is driving our RV. I had bought an inexpensive Augen from K mart a couple of months back with a backlit screen and loved it. Unfortunately it died a very young death and when I returned it to K-Mart they said they would not be stocking any more and if I purchased their last one, they would not exchange it again if it broke so I started checking out Android tablets and the Nook, clearly without spending over $500.00 for a Samsung tablet is the highest quality of a back-lit reader, browser etc. No need to say bad things of the lower priced ones, but we do get what we pay for. This thing is a wonderful internet tool, which I don't need, but it does work super well and when the hacks for the roots are well tried and clear directions posted, I will root mine. There are two aps that are on my I-phone, that I would like to find for my NC. One is playing audio books (mp3s) at a faster speed and the other is the ability to play avi video files. I rarely use wifi as the battery lasts much longer with it off the NC sideloads easily and effortlessly. No freezes, window error messages etc.
I find it much easier on my eyes than using my Kindle3 at night with clip on light and the resolution is plenty high for me. I would recommend it to anyone wanting an e-reader of any kind. I was not a Nook fan at all, preferred the Kindle, but this tablet is incredible. I hope anyone who wants one, finds it under their Christmas tree this year. I know it's a little pricey, but the quality and versatility make it well worth it.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #23
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
It does not matter if we're talking about Nook 1st gen, Sony or Kindle, eink screen is way much easier to your eyes.
With respect, this may be true for you but not for everyone.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:49 PM   #24
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
I LOVE MY NOOK COLOR !!!!!
Being a bit over 50 years old, my eyesight is not what it was 20 years ago and the back lit screen is wonderful for me. I can sit anywhere and read without a glaring clip-on light or extra room light. I love it to read in bed or while husband is driving our RV. I had bought an inexpensive Augen from K mart a couple of months back with a backlit screen and loved it. Unfortunately it died a very young death and when I returned it to K-Mart they said they would not be stocking any more and if I purchased their last one, they would not exchange it again if it broke so I started checking out Android tablets and the Nook, clearly without spending over $500.00 for a Samsung tablet is the highest quality of a back-lit reader, browser etc. No need to say bad things of the lower priced ones, but we do get what we pay for. This thing is a wonderful internet tool, which I don't need, but it does work super well and when the hacks for the roots are well tried and clear directions posted, I will root mine. There are two aps that are on my I-phone, that I would like to find for my NC. One is playing audio books (mp3s) at a faster speed and the other is the ability to play avi video files. I rarely use wifi as the battery lasts much longer with it off the NC sideloads easily and effortlessly. No freezes, window error messages etc.
I find it much easier on my eyes than using my Kindle3 at night with clip on light and the resolution is plenty high for me. I would recommend it to anyone wanting an e-reader of any kind. I was not a Nook fan at all, preferred the Kindle, but this tablet is incredible. I hope anyone who wants one, finds it under their Christmas tree this year. I know it's a little pricey, but the quality and versatility make it well worth it.
Well said. I loved my Kindle 3 but the Nook Color smokes it easily.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:13 AM   #25
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Quote:
LCD is LCD, right now can't be compared to eink technology. It does not matter if we're talking about Nook 1st gen, Sony or Kindle, eink screen is way much easier to your eyes.
That is a matter of personal preference and not a fact.

Personally, the Nook Color is the perfect device for me. It does everything I'm looking for while providing a fantastic feature set for reading. The web runs well, almost as good as my netbook. Even if you only want the NC as purely an ebook reader, it would be a great device. Add to that everything else it does and its price and I think it is the best deal for an electronic device this year. The support and community for the NC will grow fast and you will see a lot of new things for it early next year. I think it is a big win for B&N. I went to Best Buy for some Christmas presents yesterday and they were sold out of NCs and Kindle 3s. Looks like ebook reading is more popular than ever before. I am so stoked. I can literally buy any science fiction or fantasy I am looking for in several formats. This is a good day to be an avid reader.

Last edited by ColdSun; 12-14-2010 at 12:16 AM.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:27 AM   #26
discourse
Connoisseur
discourse has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight, iPad 1
I used to be anti-LCD until I bought an iPad. The Nook Color uses the same IPS screen technology and it has the same resolution as the ipad but on the much smaller screen (and much lower price). Everything you view is crisp and clear.
discourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:38 AM   #27
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
For the OP - the 500+ page full Pathfinder RPG pdf loads up pretty well on the NC. It's a little slow - but only a tad slower than my HP TX2 Windows tablet running PDF Xchange. It performs about as well as my TX2 did with Adobe Acrobat.

The same PDF basically crashed my e-ink Nook.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:14 PM   #28
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
With respect, this may be true for you but not for everyone.
Let me guess, you own one, right? I would not expect a different or impartial opinion from you.

24 hrs with it and I had to rebooted twice and browser freezes also.

I don't see how color can make a difference when reading a book. Besides the Browser and Internet experience, which is good, a Sony or a Kindle does exactly the same when reading a book, but without the glare and without an LCD screen, and lighter.

Last edited by jocampo; 12-16-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:07 AM   #29
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Quote:
Let me guess, you own one, right? I would not expect a different or impartial opinion from you.

24 hrs with it and I had to rebooted twice and browser freezes also.

I don't see how color can make a difference when reading a book. Besides the Browser and Internet experience, which is good, a Sony or a Kindle does exactly the same when reading a book, but without the glare and without an LCD screen, and lighter.
And your opinion is better than his why? Like your opinion is impartial? Sounds to me like you just like eink. No problem with that, but don't discount his or other opinions just because your preference.

I never had to reboot once and I had mine since the 17th of November using it for long periods of time. I don't experience the glare, and the LCD screen is exactly what I want.

This LCD argument of yours is the biggest dead horse on this forum and has been even before the high quality LTPS screen and capacitive touch that the NC uses.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:09 AM   #30
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote