Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-19-2015, 09:40 AM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbender54 View Post
I can try changing the port forward to Calibe to a higher number. It's now 2600. I'll review open port ranges and see what makes sense. I'm out of town for a few days, and would prefer not to do this remotely. When I uninstalled the instance of Calibre after I updated, I believe I got the /prefs in the home directory as well (thought that might have been the problem), but will check (I used AppZapper to uninstall). I will also try netstat to see what it reveals, and renaming the config folder (hadn't tried either of those). I agree that if I can fix this part, it will work as it did before. I'd like to actually fix the issue rather than force a bandaid on it, as I know it works (worked previously).

Thanks you for the suggestions. I'll let you know what I see.
You keep saying Port forwarding

Zero port forwarding is needed for the content server to function

Port forwarding is usually kept turned OFF on my router and only enabled for specific occasions. The content server/wireless device connection is fully functional from all my devices, both wired and WiFi

If YOU need port forwarding, your Network topology probably includes multiple subnets or misconfigured routers. This is NOT a calibre problem.
If you are using a Network attached storage device FOR you Library folder... Officially, not a Calibre problem (read the FAQ entry on NAS). People do run (the entire) Calibre on some NAS, but officially it is unsupported and subject to breaking at any release.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:10 AM   #17
dbender54
dbender54 began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7, Galaxy Note, iPad Air2, Kindle
I had composed a lengthy update, but apparently the forum doesn't understand I'm still active and when I clicked the submit button, it asked to login again and the post was lost. I'm not going to recompile everything I wrote (very frustrating). I changed the port assigned to a much different port and confirmed it's not in use by other services on that machine. I tried taking the tweak on interface out, but that only disabled being able to connect. I looked for the folder /files for calibre and reviewed some py config files, but found nothing set there that indicates the 127.0.0.1 port be assigned.
The folder/file organization is different on a Mac than PC, so aside from the python files I Iooked at, I would not know what to rename.
Thanks for your thoughts.
dbender54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:41 AM   #18
dbender54

One of the earlier replies indicated no port forwarding was required for Calibre. If I do not forward a port to the PC running the Calibre server, then I would not be able to have it accessible on the Internet.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:27 AM   #19
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
I had composed a lengthy update, but apparently the forum doesn't understand I'm still active and when I clicked the submit button, it asked to login again and the post was lost. I'm not going to recompile everything I wrote (very frustrating).
I've had that happen a few times.
Make sure when you log in that "remember me is checked."
(Similar idea: If you stayed logged in on a page for a few days you might get a session-token-expired error.)

Quote:
I changed the port assigned to a much different port and confirmed it's not in use by other services on that machine. I tried taking the tweak on interface out, but that only disabled being able to connect. I looked for the folder /files for calibre and reviewed some py config files, but found nothing set there that indicates the 127.0.0.1 port be assigned.
The folder/file organization is different on a Mac than PC, so aside from the python files I Iooked at, I would not know what to rename.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Preferences ==> Miscellaneous ==> Open calibre configuration directory.

Quote:
One of the earlier replies indicated no port forwarding was required for Calibre. If I do not forward a port to the PC running the Calibre server, then I would not be able to have it accessible on the Internet.
Port forwarding has nothing to do with the problem here, calibre can always broadcast just over the local network.

IOW, you may be port forwarding, but the port fowarding happens after the problem already happened, and therefore it is irrelevant.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:01 PM   #20
dbender54

Without going the route you suggested, this folder is the one I reviewed earlier. I reviewed the global.py, server.py, gui.py, smtp.py.
So I should rename the entire folder (called 'calibre') and restart Calibre, which will cause it to recreate those files?
Old 08-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #21
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yes, rename the folder and calibre will start off with a fresh configuration.

If you don't mind losing those settings, you can simply delete it, but renaming it lets you retrieve individual changes, and if it didn't help, to restore your settings.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:50 PM   #22
dbender54

I tried renaming (then moving) the Calibre folder out of my Library after removing the interface tweak. I restarted Calibre and it still shows 127.0.0.1:26000 (where 26000 is the port I assigned).
Out of ideas at this point.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:07 PM   #23
dbender54

I changed the port number to 26000. There are no other ports in this range in use. I removed the interface tweak, tried renaming the calibre folder (then removed it altogether), but the content server (after restarting) still shows 127.0.0.1:26000 (once I changed the port). It will not connect using the local network IP address *i.e. 192.x.x.x:26000) unless I use the interface tweak.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks.

Tags
calibre companion, content server