Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #61
wemaho
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
@Groen: Thanks for explaining, I will recheck the code to see if I forgot something.
If I read well: You get it when using the File->Import Notes-menu and when using File->Save (or Save As)?

@dima_tr: I am using functions to block screen updates, I guess that I forgot to unblock them. It could be the already known bug that sometimes the DR hangs when using xournal, but I have only seen that as a combination of scribbling and full-screen refresh.

Are there more people that have seen this problem? (this helps to determine if it is related to a local something on the DR/SD-card of Groen or if it is a generic problem.) Please try to remember if the expected dialog appeared or not. Does pressing the menu-key help, any other button?
Marcel,

I had the exactly the same experience as Groen.

Werner
Old 11-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #62
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Issue tracker

Thanks for reporting Werner.
Unfortunately I am still unable to reproduce the problem, so I can not yet search for a solution. Any extra information on how to reproduce it is welcom.

I created a new project at Bitbucket to share the modified code of xournal more easily.
It also has a Issue-tracker. I already submitted a few issues/enhancement-requests including the problem that Groen and you are reporting.
Can you (and Groen) check if the issue indeed contains the correct information and see if you have more info that you can share regarding the issue? If all is well you should be able to add extra comments to the issue (if not please let me know).

Everybody is invited to report new problems or enhancement-request there also.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:53 AM   #63
heyneman
heyneman began at the beginning.

Device: IREX DR800SG
Mackx this is pretty great. It's one of the first things I thought about wanting to do, before I poked around a little and saw that you've already taken care of it

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this (or can reproduce it), but I can't seem to select the eraser when in full screen mode. I can select the highlighter or pen on either side, but never the eraser...

-heyneman
heyneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #64
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Maybe this is due to a calibration problem, when in full-screen mode the pen/eraser/highlighter/etc-icons move more to the border of the device?
Maybe a stylus-calibration (Home->Settings) will improve the behaviour?
Old 11-15-2010, 02:12 AM   #65
heyneman

I'm guessing you're right. After a recalibration I can get the eraser if I click in the bottom right part of the icon.

I've never been very happy with calibration in general on my device. This probably warrants a new thread, but does anyone have an idea of the feasibility of introducing a more comprehensive calibration? (or, as a side note, do the nicer penabled pens help at all?)

It would be great if this could be integrated at a low level, ideally between the wacom drivers and any other system components so that the improved calibration was available everywhere. If that's not possible, then it could probably be integrated into the Xournal port. Given the slow refresh time, adding a little computation to implement a more precise, non-linear mapping of location data before it's used by Xournal shouldn't be noticeable to the user...

This is motivated not just by the eraser icon issue, but by the fact that I have a hard time writing legibly on the device. I've never had that much of an issue writing on my Lenovo X41 tablet, which I believe uses the same generation of Wacom device, so I'm surprised the hardware on the DR800 seems to be less precise...
Old 11-15-2010, 03:03 AM   #66
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyneman View Post
I've never been very happy with calibration in general on my device.
Neither have I, so one day I studied the code responsible for calibration (gtktscal, calibrate.c). Strangely for me all the math is done in float precision ... After changing all "float" to "double" the new calibrator [subjectively] seems to give better results. Later I can post a binary, installer and the source change.

What do you think it's better to start a new thread or post the things here?
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:52 AM   #67
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dima_tr View Post
What do you think it's better to start a new thread or post the things here?
Please start a new thread and leave this the thread for Xournal releases .

Thanks,
Marcel.

PS: I am willing to add extra calibration code in xournal if that improves the 'writing experience'.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:30 AM   #68
heyneman

Alright, new thread started here to discuss calibration.

Last edited by heyneman; 11-15-2010 at 04:44 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:13 PM   #69
wemaho
Nameless Being

Quote:
Thanks for reporting Werner.

Can you (and Groen) check if the issue indeed contains the correct information and see if you have more info that you can share regarding the issue? If all is well you should be able to add extra comments to the issue (if not please let me know).

Everybody is invited to report new problems or enhancement-request there also.
Marcel, I tried to, and reported two minor issues. Overall impression (apart from crash issue) is very good, both for reading and writing (is a little slower than the native application, but this is clearly outweighed by its extra functionality).

Werner
Old 11-16-2010, 02:04 AM   #70
Mackx
Guru

Hi Werner,

W.r.t. the new issues you reported (not being able to save preferences and recent files), can you check if the following folder exists on your SD-card, and if not create it?
\Programs\_config\.xournal\

If that helps, I know what to fix.

Thanks,
Marcel.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:18 AM   #71
Groen
eReader
Groen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
can you check if the following folder exists on your SD-card, and if not create it?
\Programs\_config\.xournal\
My settings are not stored either. I only started to notice recently. Creating Programs/_config/.xournal did not work though.

Groen
Groen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:55 AM   #72
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groen View Post
My settings are not stored either. I only started to notice recently. Creating Programs/_config/.xournal did not work though.

Groen
Interesting.
So the folder was not there? (it should contain two files)
The preferences are not automatically stored, did you use the menu to store them explicitly?
Old 11-18-2010, 04:45 AM   #73
Groen
eReader

Quote:
Interesting.
So the folder was not there? (it should contain two files)
The preferences are not automatically stored, did you use the menu to store them explicitly?
Yes, I did ask it to store the preferences. I sent you some more info by e-mail. I found out that some preferences do get stored (paper style), but others don't (eraser style).

I glanced at the config file itself, and the config file mentions the wrong setting for the eraser style (0 for normal, instead 2 for strokes).

Groen
Old 11-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #74
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groen View Post
Yes, I did ask it to store the preferences. I sent you some more info by e-mail. I found out that some preferences do get stored (paper style), but others don't (eraser style).

I glanced at the config file itself, and the config file mentions the wrong setting for the eraser style (0 for normal, instead 2 for strokes).
The menu-option 'Tools->Set As Default' only applies to the selected/active tool (pen, eraser, highlighter, text). So first select the tool, then set the option for the tool and then save preferences.
The choice to implement it like this was chosen by the original developer, it seems like a good choice to me, although its implementation is not completely intuitive.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:18 AM   #75
Groen
eReader

Quote:
The menu-option 'Tools->Set As Default' only applies to the selected/active tool (pen, eraser, highlighter, text). So first select the tool, then set the option for the tool and then save preferences.
The choice to implement it like this was chosen by the original developer, it seems like a good choice to me, although its implementation is not completely intuitive.
I confirm this approach works for me. After I created the correct directory for the config file, I just did quick tests by starting Xournal and changing the preferences without first changing the active tool. If I first change the active tool the preferences for that tool do get saved.

Groen

Tags
xournal