Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Cheap ereader in Australia with free shipping

What do you think? I like it can read so many formats.

http://www.gizmag.com/kogans-au189-ebook-reader/16018/
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Try here for an active thread regarding the Kogan.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1492253
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Try here for an active thread regarding the Kogan.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
abigsmurf
Enthusiast
abigsmurf began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
No automatic last page memory? That would drive me nuts. I don't want to bookmark a page everytime I put the reader down.
abigsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Y'know, Lene. I'm gonna give this one a whirl. Not for me (I'm happy with my wee 505 for personal use and my friends on the team cover most of the e-reader field beyond to test our own file formats), but for a good pal Down Under.

Between thee, me, the gatepost and whoever's listening, by the way, we're opening a fully staffed BeWrite Books bureau in Australia in November. If you're interested in hearing a tad more about the whys and wherefores, I think you have my email address.

It would be good to hear from you because we do need astute local-reader advice, and we still have few Oz pals reading in digital form. We've made local print and distribution arrangements for our paperbacks, but we're keen to push the ebook concept in Oz, NZ and PAcific Rim countries where other tradition-entrenched publishing houses seem to be on the back-pedal.

Cheers for now. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good stuff Neil. I look forward to that.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:05 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Good news, Neil. Where will your bureau be based? Please don't forget Tasmania.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:22 AM   #8
lene1949
Wizard

I received the Kogan in the mail today...

It looks like a solid unit... I really like that it supports so many formats as well as the ability to change margins, line spacing etc. - and it support folders. It has folders already for music, photos, books etc

I was surprised to find a USB Wall charger, but it did say so in the description, but I must have missed it.

The screen is beautiful and clear.

It has 1500 pre-loaded books, and the books I've looked at all has got something to do with Australia.. They are of course public domain (Gutenberg Australia), but well formatted and I haven't found any errors in them, yet. To see how the reader performed, I started reading My Experiences in Australia by A Lady (Mrs Allan Macperson) - So far I'll continue reading this book.

The page turn button is a bit hard to press (maybe it'll soften over time?)... And then there's the book marking.. Two clicks 'menu, book mark'

These are the only 2 things I don't like about this reader, but other than that, I think it's great value for money.

I did have a Kobo reader, but I didn't like it much... The Kogan is a lot more user friendly due to the large amount of personal preferences settings.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:14 AM   #9
sabredog

This might be a thread worth looking at, whilst you get to know your new Kogan

Old 09-13-2010, 04:06 AM   #10
lene1949
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
This might be a thread worth looking at, whilst you get to know your new Kogan

Yes, thank you... You've already pointed me in that direction - a few posts back...
Old 09-13-2010, 04:23 AM   #11
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
The Kogan we bought for our new OZ partner arrived today. So far she's thrilled with it. I'll ask her to pop by with a hand-on review after she's had a day or two to play around with the device. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:05 AM   #12
sabredog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Yes, thank you... You've already pointed me in that direction - a few posts back...
Oops

Sorry. I am still recovering from WASMEx 2010. A very busy 2 days.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:00 AM   #13
clockworkzombie
Connoisseur
clockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad
Check out this too, looks like my Bebook with some upgrades.

https://www.dadirect.com/books/ecoReader.asp
clockworkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:53 AM   #14
malliemcg
malliemcg began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Kindle3-WiFi
It may also be worth mentioning that the kindle shipped to Australia works out to around the $180AUD mark, which i personally find is a pretty good price.

(Just did a trial run and as at 15/9/2010 @ 17:00 AEST - Amazon says $178.23AUD delivered).
malliemcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:18 AM   #15
lene1949
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by malliemcg View Post
It may also be worth mentioning that the kindle shipped to Australia works out to around the $180AUD mark, which i personally find is a pretty good price.

(Just did a trial run and as at 15/9/2010 @ 17:00 AEST - Amazon says $178.23AUD delivered).
Absolutely! If I didn't already have a kindle, I would have ordered a kindle3.. My kindle 2 serves me really, really well.