Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #61
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Sony's new devices are a welcome improvement: lighter, smaller, more stylish, improved touch, Pearl e-ink, dictionaries, etc.

But in Canada, in spite of the cachet of the Sony brand, the pricing is just out of whack. $249 for the 6" non-wifi PRS 650 vs $139 for the wifi-enabled Kindle 3 vs $149 for the basic model Kobo that plays ePub files. For Canada, the latter two have very credible bookstores as well; Sony's bookstore in Canada is problematic at best.

Sure, Sony in Canada can command a premium (Kindle's are only sold online), but not $100. And when the Kobo drops in a few days or weeks as it simply must, that's going to be up to a $150 premium -- more than double the price to select "Sony".

It's true Sony can try the trade-off: wifi vs touch screen but in the sales conversation that's simply not going to fly.

Sony: 5", touch screen, no wifi, problematic bookstore - $199; sony stores, best buy
Sony: 6", touch screen, no wifi, problematic bookstore - $249; sony stores, best buy
Kobo/Chapters: 6", no touch screen, no wifi, Canadian bookstore, easy to use - $99-$149; largest Canadian book chain, Wal-mart
Kindle 3/Amazon: 6", no touch screen, wifi, best bookstore, large support community - $139; amazon, a trusted provider of books, dvds

At this pricing, Sony has it's work cut out for it in Canada.
The price is steep. Honestly? I plan on making a trip south over the border next time I'm in Canada to get my Sony Reader (either the 650 or the 950, I haven't yet decided) to save myself the price difference. With Ontario tax the 6 inch Touch reader would work out to about $280.

For me, the touch screen, Pearl technology and 12 dictionaries are more than worth the extra price I'd be paying for getting a Sony rather than a Kindle. (wi-fi and 3g don't interest me, and I do a lot of translating work for which I'd like to mark up the text with my own handwriting - I need to use foreign characters. The Kindle's keyboard wouldn't cut it for me. I also read a fair bit in foreign languages, and I'd love the dictionaries. The ability to purchase more dictionaries would be an ever bigger bonus. I have been considering a Kindle DX as a large screen reader, but I have decided to wait on getting a 9.7 inch reader, as I would like one with better PDF rendering capabilities and with a touch screen).

However, I doubt that the extra features would appeal to most readers (or rather, appeal to them enough to warrant paying the added price). This is too bad; I love Sony's Readers and would hate to see them stop making them. This is why I AM glad that no one brand has a monopoly on e-readers - it leaves us consumers with more choices.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm considering the 950. And by the time the 950 is out for sale, I'll either have most or all of the money to buy one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #63
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Honestly? I plan on making a trip south over the border next time I'm in Canada to get my Sony Reader (either the 650 or the 950, I haven't yet decided) to save myself the price difference.
Ha ha... and I'm considering a trip north of the border just so I can get a silver one, lol!
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
Ha ha... and I'm considering a trip north of the border just so I can get a silver one, lol!
Get a 950 and you'll have silver.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:20 PM   #65
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Get a 950 and you'll have silver.
Nah, it's too big. The 350 is too small. The 650 is juuuust right
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I think the 950 is just right. But to each his own. But I do have to agree that a 5" screen is too small.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:28 PM   #67
maxbookworm
Addict

Quote:
I think the 950 is just right. But to each his own. But I do have to agree that a 5" screen is too small.
Right, I should have said juuust right for me

And maybe I *should* check out the 950, just to be sure!
Old 09-02-2010, 12:11 AM   #68
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I've got WiFi and an experimental browser on my Kindle. I've got a web browser on my nook.

In all honesty, the only thing I've ever used the damn thing for was to spend more money on an impulse buy.

And as for the Kindle wifi/store stuff, they can keep it. i haven't bought a kindle book that i couldn't make "mine."

I go through the "hassle" of spending 30 seconds on every eBook I own so I can covert it into a format that can be read on ALL my toys. I have an iPad that I like the pretty display of my book collection on. I use calibre to keep my library consistent across the board. Sure, I have other eReaders, but they all serve different purposes. If I am going anywhere near a B&N, I bring my nook to see what other stuff B/N has to play with. If I'm at work, I bring my kindle, as it's the only one still with an extended warranty. If I was reading at night, I'd use my 600 in bed or in dimly lit places.

I don't like multitask ebook readers. I'm actually thinking of getting rid of my nook because of the stupid games they added to it. I have an iPad that acts as a reading device, yet I never seem to get much reading done on it...wonder why.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:57 AM   #69
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I like both. I got a 5", 6" and a 7". I use all three to satisfaction.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:04 AM   #70
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Still using my 505 in favour of the 900 but the 950 may get me back to it.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #71
Merbear
Enthusiast
Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PRS-600 & Kobo & PRS-650, iTouch and iPad2
If you can, return your daughter's 600, give her your 600 and get a 650 for yourself.

would be tempted but have already skinned it! I just may have to surprise myself this XMAS, hopefully the prices will be down by then.
Merbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Two things that should never be done to electronics... engraving and skinning. That tends to make them nonreturnable.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:18 AM   #73
Avex
Avex began at the beginning.

Device: iTouch 4th gen,Nook WiFi
$179 for Pocket Edition and $229 for Touch Edition is still pricey. They gotta lower it if they wanna compete with B&N Nook and Amazon's Kindle 3..I would get the Pocket Edition rather than the Touch Edition..Hurm..choice, choices..

Temptation, temptation. Guess I'll get it next month instead of this month..hehehe~

Last edited by Avex; 09-06-2010 at 05:22 AM.
Avex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:04 AM   #74
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avex View Post
$179 for Pocket Edition and $229 for Touch Edition is still pricey. They gotta lower it if they wanna compete with B&N Nook and Amazon's Kindle 3..I would get the Pocket Edition rather than the Touch Edition..Hurm..choice, choices..

Temptation, temptation. Guess I'll get it next month instead of this month..hehehe~
That would probably depend. Importing the Nook here is a pain. The Kindle has the problem that it doesn't read DRM'd epub.

And it's actually the one of the cheapest 6" available atm, right here...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #75
maxbookworm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
Nah, it's too big. The 350 is too small. The 650 is juuuust right
You know, I may have to retract that statement. I've been playing around with my 300 again to re-evaluate the 5" screen and it's really not bad. I can still read the manga I had downloaded, and even the pdf's for work. I may have to seriously consider the 350 rather than the 650. It's smaller, lighter, cheaper, has most of the same capabilities (I never listen to music on my reader, and 2G is plenty of memory for me so don't need the mp3 player or expansion slots), and anyway, both the red and the black colors on the 650 leave me cold.