Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Nook touchscreen and finger nails?

Was at B&N today and finally had a chance to use a Nook hands on...

The problem was the touch screen didn't work well for me at all because tapping it with my finger nail wouldn't make it work.

The rep said it needed the heat from my finger...unfortunately, my nails are long enough that I had to touch the screen at an angle and would often end up selecting the wrong option.

Does this make sense? I've used other touch devices fine.

After about 5 minutes, I found it too frustrating and gave up.

I really did like the page turn keys though

On the upside, at least I'm not tempted to get a third reader at this time
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
That's too bad..my 700 really prefers my nails for turning pages!!
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
My wife has long fingernails and used to own a pocket pc phone, always using her "natural" styli to use it. Now she has an iPhone (requires "skin contact") and uses it without any problems.
You will need to adapt a different style of pressing buttons and after a few days, it'll be second nature
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
My wife has long fingernails and used to own a pocket pc phone, always using her "natural" styli to use it. Now she has an iPhone (requires "skin contact") and uses it without any problems.
You will need to adapt a different style of pressing buttons and after a few days, it'll be second nature
I was wondering about the iPhone (I don't own one). I used to own a Voyager and didn't have a problem but realized that I prefer a keyboard over a touchscreen anyway I've not had any issues with my Cowon pdp touch screen either hence my surprise.

I found the Nook extremely frustrating and had trouble getting the feel for it. It bothered my that even with effort/focus, I couldn't seem to get it to work smoothly. Although, as the sales clerk pointed out, once the book open the touchscreen isn't needed to read.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
tvg
tvg began at the beginning.

Device: iphone and ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
I was wondering about the iPhone (I don't own one). I used to own a Voyager and didn't have a problem but realized that I prefer a keyboard over a touchscreen anyway I've not had any issues with my Cowon pdp touch screen either hence my surprise.

I found the Nook extremely frustrating and had trouble getting the feel for it. It bothered my that even with effort/focus, I couldn't seem to get it to work smoothly. Although, as the sales clerk pointed out, once the book open the touchscreen isn't needed to read.
====================
hi,
you realize that there are a few different "input" methods that are being used on screens?

-1-
resistive: there is a layer on the screen that needs to be physically pressed. it works with fingernails, stylusses, spoons, forks... :-) everything that has a point and can be used to press on the screen. Also works with plastic styli
-2-
capacitative: iphone, nook and other devices use this. it is more sensitive (often) but it needs an electrical capacitance (sp??) to work. therfore it will work with your skin, but not with your nail. it does not need to feel "heat" this will not work with a plastic stylus, and will not work with you wearing a glove. there are special styli with an aluminium sponge on the end which will work.
-3-
active digitizer: the most accurate method, will only work with special styli which have a coil and some circuitry inside. nails and hands will not work. therfor the only technology (now) that lets you write on a screen like on paper : it will not be disturbed by puttting a part of your hand on the screen, which you are likely to do when writing on a tablet pc.

furthermore there are combinations of the above, of which a very good one is a -3- and -2- combination which switches between "touching"and "writing"mode.

===
you see why ther are differences in "how the screen works". furhtermore the speed and the software of the device have a lot to do with it.

the iphone is in my opinion now the most "responsive" device, but as explained above, it will not work with nails

grtz

Tom
tvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
You can't use your fingernail to navigate the touchscreen, but you can use the side of your finger or your knuckle. Back when I used to have very long nails I'd use my knuckles to punch numbers on calculators, telephones, etc, so I wouldn't chip my polish. The same method works great on my iPhone.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #7
Boston
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
You can't use your fingernail to navigate the touchscreen, but you can use the side of your finger or your knuckle. Back when I used to have very long nails I'd use my knuckles to punch numbers on calculators, telephones, etc, so I wouldn't chip my polish. The same method works great on my iPhone.
I tried on the Nook but with the small lcd, I found myself hitting the wrong option more often than not. Perhaps, its just practice but I would think twice before buying a Nook (or iPhone). I also noticed that there were a lot of fingerprint smudges on the panel from handling. As I mentioned, I had a touchscreen phone and opted to trade it for one with a keyboard. Just a personal preference.

The funny thing was that I was kind of worried that once I held a Nook, I would be placing my order (I'm kind of weak like that when it comes to gadgets). So its kind of a relief.

(Thanks tvg for explaining why I haven't had the issue with all touchscreens).

Last edited by Boston; 01-03-2010 at 08:23 PM.