Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #16
sromain
sromain began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook mini
Upon further review, and the $160 price tag, included 2g SD card and 100 books...Im going with the Aluratek Libre. At $160..even if it's not the "perfect" fit it's still inexpensive enough to gamble on.

That, and it's small, and Ive bought products from Aluratek before. thanks for your help all!
sromain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:49 PM   #17
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, sromain, and congratulations on your decision......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 07:53 PM   #18
sromain
sromain began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook mini
Just doing my part to support the economy with tax free income! Id rather drop my $160 ebook in the sand than a $280 Kindle
sromain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #19
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Here are some pictures of the manual on my Sony 300 at various font sizes. Not high quality but it might give you some ideas on how it will work for you. They look the best at the smallest font but you will need extra good vision to read them.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0113.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	864.8 KB
ID:	41835   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0114.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	1,006.9 KB
ID:	41836   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0115.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	971.6 KB
ID:	41837   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0116.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	41838   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0120.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	41839  
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:23 AM   #20
dls81
Enthusiast
dls81 began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sromain View Post
thanks for both of your suggestions....the Aluratek Libre looks intriguing.

That being said, would like to hold out and see if anyone has actually found the Army pub's to be readable on the small 5" format.

I'm in Iraq, so between shipping times and the thought of having to return it...I'd hate to jump to a decision quickly.

Thanks for the help!
I just bought the Libre... I was sort of limited in my selection since I had to find something at a decent price being sold by a company that would ship to an FPO (I'm in the middle east as well). The Libre fits perfectly in my cargo pocket of my DCU's, and as soon as I got it I downloaded files in the different supported formats to see which ones worked best. Although I have a preference for epub at this point, I also downloaded some pdf documents from school and they show up small but definitely nicely formatted. I recommend reading them in landscape format, and they zoom nicely. I would like it if they would completely reformat so that you wouldn't need to scroll to read them, but I'm not sure if any devices do that.

For your needs, including price range, I recommend it. I ordered it through Tiger Direct and it got here in about a week. Just make sure you have a calling card because for some reason they always want to talk to you on the phone after your order to verify your cc is really yours.
dls81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 02:31 AM   #21
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
AAFES sells the Sony 300 and 600.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #22
dls81
Enthusiast
dls81 began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
AAFES sells the Sony 300 and 600.
Yup. So does NEX, which is what is near me. However, the Sony doesn't support nearly as many formats as the Libre, and the 300 (which would be the comparable model to the Libre/Jetbook) does not have expandable memory.
dls81 is offline   Reply With Quote