Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #61
Soldier_CLE
Soldier_CLE began at the beginning.

Device: SmartDevices Q7 & iRex DR1000S
Thumbs up After reading from many forums on the topic...

I would like to thank Chippy and ColdSun for their input on the device.

Having used both e-ink and LCD displays, I will tell you that there are benefits to both technologies; with both getting better and better as the months roll on.

That said, I am excited to be ordering the SmartDevices Q7 from MP4Nation.com, and will also give my responses from trying out the WinCE6, Mer, Q7-3.0 and Android OS/UIs

While the LCD display might not have a place in direct sunlight, chances are that it will prove it's worth in severely dark places and environments, like overnight flights, bedside (when your lady doesn't want the lights on), riding passenger in a car during night driving times, etc.

At the same time, the wifi functions, multiuse applications, and decent battery life enable the Q7 to be a decent alternative device to a techie's primary gadgets, as it can also be easily stowed in a techbag.

Personally, I intend to use this device alongside my DR1000S device, which also provides many features that I desire. But the Q7 is an attractive option for those who seek an alternative to the e-ink method of displaying ebooks.

I will personally subscribe to both methods, and I look forward to taking the plunge toward trying out the Q7 multipurpose multitouch device.
Soldier_CLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:52 AM   #62
Gadget
Gadget doesn't litterGadget doesn't litter

Device: none
oooooohhh, it's so pretty. Damnit, i think I'm shellshocked on how pretty it looks, must find a flaw....

Last edited by Gadget; 06-26-2009 at 02:49 AM.
Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2009, 11:37 PM   #63
Brainy142
Brainy142 began at the beginning.

Device: smart q 5???
Just letting you know that if you order is still processing from Raz that he gets another shipment on the 26th and 30th (Raz had more demand than stock). also they will be in white

(Raz posted this in the forum today 2hrs ago)
Brainy142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:55 PM   #64
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by wermy View Post
I'll keep you posted on how it goes and how long it takes to get here (I live in the midwest US).
So wermy, what's the news. Get yours yet? I'm in the Midwest too, so I'm very curious about how long things took with you! I'll be ordering at the end of this month.

By that time you, Cold Sun and others will have all the apt-get and repositories worked out!
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:09 AM   #65
wermy
wermy began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ 7
Hi dmon65,
Unfortunately mine still hasn't shipped yet.. I ordered mine from mp4nation.net a week ago today, and as Brainy points out they won't even have any in stock until the 26th (or the 30th, if you didn't get your order in quick enough [fingers crossed]). So nothing to report as of yet.
wermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 02:47 AM   #66
Gadget
Gadget doesn't litterGadget doesn't litter

That's very lovely, but the fact that it's still a regular screen makes me just want to buy a netbook instead. But if the price was right...
Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:22 AM   #67
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Gadget: Are you just talking out loud ? (to yourself) What do you mean by a regular screen? why a netbook? What exactly would you like to do with your ideal device? (I thought $189 + shipping was a good price)

p.s. If you were just talking out loud then i'm just whistling in the dark
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #68
Brainy142
Brainy142 began at the beginning.

Device: smart q 5???
Raz did have stock but he didn't anticipate how many people were going to order and that is what was causing the delay.

ps. I know it is a bit late but if you can get 20 posts in the mp4nation forum you can enter the contest for a yunplus (basicly win ce device) then you can get 2 mini reading things...
(contest ends today but Raz somethimes gets a little lazy when closing forums for contests )

If anyone hasent been sent one by june 31st then let me know and I will ask Raz when the next shipment is.

Last edited by Brainy142; 06-26-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Brainy142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:46 PM   #69
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Thinking out loud...

I am actually looking for an alternative to a netbook. I want a tablet form device, but don't want to pay for a full tablet PC (those things are expensive!) A multifunction device like this running WinCE would more than fulfill my needs - and might even surpass them handily.
I want it mainly as an ebook device that can display pdf's decently, word docs, rtf, and every other format besides those for amazon and sony that are locked down. WinCE accomplishes this if it's got the right processor for the software. There are versions of both MS Reader and Mobipocket for Win CE (again, depending on processor, of course). LCD vs. e-ink isn't really an issue, though for reading in bed, I'm thinking I'd actually prefer LCD. I don't read outdoors much, and even when I do, I'm in the shade.
This or the alpha-700 are looking like good alternatives. Chris says wait til the first of the year (income tax refund time) and see how the dust settles, and I think that's a good idea. By that time we should have U.S. distributors for most of the devices that have just been released now, and we should have some clearer answers on what will run WinCE and what won't.
My biggest concerns are what it's like to hold it while reading, and having to come up with some sort of protective case for it. One device I looked at (I think it was the Jointech) is shown in a cover that looks identical to the one on my EZ Reader, which would be ideal.
The problems that profnachos had with his Smart Q7 also greatly concern me, and that's another reason for me to wait and see how any manufacturing difficulties shake out.
Even though I'm originally from Texas, bigger is not always better - but the Alpha 700 is looking good for the full size pdf possibilities. I checked with my husband's tape measure and I believe it would still fit in the slightly oversized purse I carry.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #70
markr
markr doesn't littermarkr doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainy142 View Post
If anyone hasent been sent one by june 31st then let me know and I will ask Raz when the next shipment is.
I think he said over there that after the 30th or so he would get another load until mid July, which is when the manufacturer will be doing another production run. Fingers crossed mine goes out in the next few days.
markr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #71
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

phenomshel: The SmartQ 7 will do all you ask right out of the box with its std Linux O/S. Loading WinCE may be a reasonable option in the short term but is likely to be left behind (How long will Microsoft keep supporting WinCE ?) as 'new' Linux distros are released to improve the multitude of new devices with ARM processors that are appearing almost daily. The Alpha 700 looks good but until somebody gets their hands on one and does a full review its only a maybe at present.

p.s. One advantage of buying direct from China is the lack of tax/duty (assuming customs are not too hot the day yours arrives). A US dist won't get that advantage.

Last edited by Nation.A.List; 06-27-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #72
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation.A.List View Post
phenomshel: The SmartQ 7 will do all you ask right out of the box with its std Linux O/S. Loading WinCE may be a reasonable option in the short term but is likely to be left behind (How long will Microsoft keep supporting WinCE ?) as 'new' Linux distros are released to improve the multitude of new devices with ARM processors that are appearing almost daily. The Alpha 700 looks good but until somebody gets their hands on one and does a full review its only a maybe at present.

p.s. One advantage of buying direct from China is the lack of tax/duty (assuming customs are not too hot the day yours arrives). A US dist won't get that advantage.
I run a dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu machine now. I know what Linux can do, and how it works. What the Smart Q7 won't do right out of the box with it's Linux distro is read .lit files. (If you know something I don't on this, by all means let me know). That's a deal breaker for me.
I realize the Alpha 700 is a "maybe" at this point... heck, they're all "maybes" for me until the first of the year anyway!

I'm thinking that between shipping from China and customs, I'd lose any advantage I'd gain by losing the tax. And seeing how much trouble profnachos had with his Smart Q7 getting answers out of eletroworld, I'd rather not take the chance.

WinCE wouldn't be my first choice either, given MS's lackluster support of it, even now. However, my first choice of o/s for a device of this type hasn't been invented yet, and WinCE is the closest of what's out there that'll run on this.

I'm leery of the MIPS processor in the Alpha 700. ARM supports more software. Nate said he "thought" he saw a .lit reader for WinCE on a MIPS proc. but hasn't found it again - so the Alpha, as good as it looks, may be off the list just for that.

As I said, I'm in the "thinking out loud" stage. I want one, but I also want to wait and see what the market does.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:44 AM   #73
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
I'm still looking around the forum postings myself, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Has anyone tried to install Calibre on th Q7 yet? It will read .lit format and I know I read somewhere that it should run on an Arm based unit.

I'm with phenomshel on a local distributor to purchase from though. An issue like profnachos' would be easier to deal with with no language barriers interfering too. Although the support everyone gets from eletroworld, in the end, seems to be very good.
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #74
gen
Enthusiast
gen began at the beginning.

Device: 200LX
hi Coldsun,

thanks for the great review. I notice from http://www.techfresh.net/smartdevices-smartq-7-mid/ There is a TV-out. From what i gather, its the same port as the ear phone jack. have you tried it? Thanks
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #75
gen
Enthusiast
gen began at the beginning.

Device: 200LX
Just downloaded the manual, gone through it, it didn't have anything about the TV-out, guess that website read it wrongly.
gen is offline   Reply With Quote