Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
TXT to AZW

What programs do you recommend to convert TXT to AZW (I know I can send it to Amazon, but I would like to do it myself). Thanks, Debra
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
What programs do you recommend to convert TXT to AZW (I know I can send it to Amazon, but I would like to do it myself). Thanks, Debra
oooh. I"m listening..........(ear pressed to door)
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Mobipocket Creator will take txt, PDF or MS Word documents and convert them to .prc which can be read by Kindle. You don't need an actual .azw file. You can also add covers, etc. during the process. It's easy to use and straight forward.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:50 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Mobipocket Creator will take txt, PDF or MS Word documents and convert them to .prc which can be read by Kindle. You don't need an actual .azw file. You can also add covers, etc. during the process. It's easy to use and straight forward.

cheers
Thank you........Leep!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The most often recommended option is Book Designer, see Book Designer Graphical Guide. To setup Book Designer, see Wiki: Book Designer. Finally, HarryT's Tutorial - How to Create a MobiPocket eBook covers how to use MobiPocket Creator to go from the Book Designer book to a properly-formatted MobiPocket book with large images, a functioning "Table of Contents" menu item, etcetera. HarryT's Book Creation Tutorials covers about the same ground as the Graphical Guide, but in more detail.

The above may be overkill, as Leep says you can certainly try going directly to MobiPocket Creator or you could export a PRC file directly from Book Designer.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Debra -- you don't even have to convert at all. Just transfer the .txt file to your Kindle using the USB cable. The Kindle will use the file name (without the .txt) as the title of the book.

I do this a lot to load reading lists onto my Kindle. For example, when I'm reading a series, I'll create a text file using WordPad (since I'm on a Windows computer) and list the books in order. Sometimes I include the book description. This provides a nice substitute for losing the "blurb" on the back (or jacket flaps) of a paper book.

The attachment is a text file that is currently living in my Kindle.

Converting a text file to a MobiPocket file won't do anything more for you than just putting the text file as it is onto the Kindle. But, if you want a "book" with bold text, italics, titles, etc. then use your word processor and create a .rtf or .html file. Import that into the book-making tools as described by Leep and wallcraft and much of the formatting is retained.
Attached Files
File Type: txt TimeTradersSeries.txt (5.2 KB, 613 views)
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #7
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2009, 02:14 AM   #8
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Once you have worked out how to use Book Designer and Mobicreator, it works brilliantly, I've just made two books for my Mom's Kindle and she says they look very professional. If you use Book Designer, be sure to read wiki and threads because it can be a bit tricky to download and isn't terribly user friendly. Harry T's tutorial is very useful and worth downloading.

Good Luck
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #9
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Thanks for the tips, especially that it would take some time. I had a couple pdfs and word docs, and with a lot of work with Book Designer, they look pretty good. Very good, as a matter of fact. What I like best is the ability to vary the paragraph indentation - I like a little more, although it reduces the amount of text on the page. I like to add a page bereak after every chapter, too. Debra
Old 01-26-2009, 06:02 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The above may be overkill, as Leep says you can certainly try going directly to MobiPocket Creator or you could export a PRC file directly from Book Designer.
Arggghhh! No - don't do that! BD creates truly awful Mobi files. Format your book in BD, then export as HTML and use Mobi Creator to create your Mobi book. My tutorial shows how to do it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #11
ZYCLON
ZYCLON began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
no answer yet

so far, the question has not been answered.. I, too, would like to know how to convert a txt file to an azw file... i do NOT want to transfer it to my kindle as a txt or prc file.. i want to convert a txt file to a azw file .....
ZYCLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:56 AM   #12
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It has already been answered. Mobipocket Creator does it. I think Calibre would, as well. Or, email to Amazon. You get more control using Mobipocket Creator, as there is a checkbox to help with how to handle line endings during conversion.

.prc is the same as .mobi, which is the same as .azw. The only difference is that most .azw files have DRM.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote