Notices

Old 03-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
GOGGS75
Enthusiast
GOGGS75 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad mini + Kindle Touch
Loss of memory when transferring from Calibre to Marvin

Hi

I had a problem recently due to my Ipad's memory being full. When checking this on ITunes I could see that over 11GB of the 13.5GB memory was classed as 'other'.

I eventually restored the Ipad using ITunes. This recovered the Apps with most of the content and cleared the 11GB of something sitting in other.

When transferring the next book from Calibre to Marvin using Calibre the used memory classed as other on ITunes changed from nil to 758.3 MB

It looks as though transferring books keeps eating up a lot of memory and classing this as other that cannot be cleared very easily. Is this a bug in either Calibre or Marvin that anyone else was aware of?

Cheers

Goggs75
GOGGS75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Calibre does store some small cache files within Marvin's filesystem, but that would show up as part of Marvin's storage usage, not as part of 'Other'. I don't know what's in 'Other'; perhaps Kris can shed some light on this.

-- edit #1 --
I've been doing some Googling on iOS 'Other' storage, and it seems that about 1GB of 'Other' is typical during normal system use.

-- edit #2 --
I just restored iOS 7.1 on my iDevice using iTunes, with a clean installation. With no 3rd-party apps installed, I have an 'Other' of 625.7 MB. So it appears that 'Other' has content even when there are no 3rd-party apps installed. I assume that as app images are downloaded and installed, that number will grow due to system usage.

-- edit #3 --
After installing Marvin, but before running it, 'Other' is at 644.4 MB.
After adding 500 books to Marvin and connecting via the calibre connector, then running Marvin XD, then closing calibre, 'Other' is at 645 MB.

Conclusion: calibre is not the culprit.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 03-12-2014 at 02:40 PM.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
After calibre transfers a book, the extra space taken up by Marvin would be for that book (plus a tiny fraction of it for the metadata and cover). I've done a test similar to the one GRiker did and noticed exactly the same - Marvin isn't taking up that space.

Also, IIRC, data used by an app is shown under the "Apps" section of the bar not under "Other". It must be something else.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote