Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
willincanada
willincanada began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Nook HD+ reading experience

Hi Everyone,

Just joined in here as a member. But I have browsed here for long time and got a lot helps. So my belated thanks.

A quick question. I have a kindle ereader(4th Gen,not kindle fire), My friend wants to sell me a Nook HD+ table. I want to get some feedback from you: In terms of reading experience, how far those tablet-ereader is from dedicated ereader in terms of reading experience, I know probably it cannot match eink, how about the experience overall. Does it like regular table that will hurt eyes very soon?
Also, can I read epub in Nook HD+? i am in Toronto and library use Epub as format
Thanks

Last edited by willincanada; 11-12-2013 at 08:57 PM.
willincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Yes you can read epub on the Nook HD+ tablet. The screen is great for reading on, though for me, it seems very large. However if you like to read in two column landscape, that works really nicely on the HD+.

I'm not sure if you can register it in Canada, though.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
willincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Yes you can read epub on the Nook HD+ tablet. The screen is great for reading on, though for me, it seems very large. However if you like to read in two column landscape, that works really nicely on the HD+.

I'm not sure if you can register it in Canada, though.
Thanks.

When you said register, you meant warranty,right?
Old 11-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Well, no, you have to register it with B&N or it won't work. I was reading in another thread that you just need a US address. Even if you never buy a thing from them, you still have to register it, unless you are going to hack it.

The Nook HD and HD+ have fabulous screens. I read on my HD all the time. It's awesome. The HD+ is great, too, especially if you like to read news on a portable screen. It's a bit heavy to pack around, but great for at home, though there are people here at mobileread who not only use the HD+ exclusively to read on, but also take it with them everywhere.

Last edited by booklover6; 11-12-2013 at 09:45 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
I am one of those that use my HD+ exclusively to read on. Well, mostly exclusively. I don't read on anything else but I do use it for a few more things. It's great for digital comics. The size and resolution are perfect. I also have a couple of games I'm hooked on. But 90% of my daily use for m HD+ is for reading.

I moved from my Kindle Keyboard to a Nook Tablet when my wife got me one for Christmas in 2011. I'd heard all the concerns about eyestrain and was worried at first but, once I got started, I've never looked back. I've never had the first issue with any sort of eyestrain. Now, keep in mind that I work for a living, I have a wife and kids as well as a home to keep up. I'm not one of those that can sit and read for 8 hours straight. About the most I can sit and read without needing to stop for one reason or another is a couple of hours. If I read on this screen for hours and hours on end, who knows, maybe it would be harder on my eyes. The way that I read, I've never had any problems. If you like to read outside, it definitely wouldn't be as good as an eink device, but for everything else it's great.

I picked up my Nook HD+ last December and, while it's a little large, it's not that bad. I find it somewhere between a paperback book and a hardcover. It's the perfect size for digital comics and I can increase the font size to aid my aging eyes and still have more than a single sentence on the screen.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
The HD+ is my goto ebook reader right now. I do love it.

There are lots of free ebook reading apps available. Some will require you to remove DRM, but some also support Adobe's DRM natively.

Especially now that B&N allows the Google Play store, the HD+ is a really nice option.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #7
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
I love my HD+. I'm not sure if you need to register it unless you want to buy content from B&N. Even though I live outside the US, I have a US address and credit card and registered mine from overseas without problem.

If you don't want to register it, you can root or boot into the stock Android OS very easily using a preconfigured, inexpensive SD card from AFN or N2A. I use this dual boot card from AFN and it works great: http://www.androidfornook.com/nook-s...-hdplus-detail

Also, the Kindle for Android app from Google Play works perfectly for reading Kindle books on the HD+, except that I don't like their graphic novel/comics viewer very much.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3 3g, Nook HD+, Nexus 4 (Mantano)
I really like my HD+. I put Cyanogenmod 10.2 on it, so I have a full-fledged Android tablet. It's great for reading on (the resolution is good enough for that) and I do like the larger screen.
At the prices they're going for, it's a great bargain.
cortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I used to only read on dedicated eink readers. I got a nook hd plus last april and I read on it a lot! I use Mantano reading app cause I like to tweak my reading experience.(fonts, margins, light brightness) It really is a nice tablet. I suffer with insomnia. It is said the LCD screens contribute to insomnia. The nook is the only tablet that I can read on that does NOT keep me up all night. I can't explain it..Honestly, the only time I pick up my eink reader now is when I forget to charge the nook.

My 2 cents,

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
While I vastly prefer reading on e-ink, the Nook HD+ works fine for reading, I keep the brightness down and it's no problem for reading when I don't have an e-ink reader with me. My Nexus 7 (2013) is even better thanks to being more pixel dense.

Still, my goto device remains my Kobo Aura HD e-ink. My tablet reading only happens when I don't have my e-ink reader with me.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
Lutraa
Well Read
Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, K4B, Nook HD+, Galaxy S3
Greetings from your northern neighbor,

I've got a K4 and a Nook HD+. I still prefer to read most content on the Kindle. It is lighter, easier to position, easier on my eyes, and the battery lasts way longer than the Nook.

For magazines with graphic content, obviously the Nook is better than the Kindle, and if you only have ePUBs that you can't convert, you are stuck with the Nook's backlighted LED screen.
Lutraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #12
willincanada

Thanks for everyone! so three more questions:

1: If I don't root it(use stock rom), then I have to register it and need an US address,is this correct? But I assume I don't really need US credit card if I don't intent to buy anything from B&M. I will intall Kindle and read book there

2: If I just use it for read, how different between stock Rom and Cyanogenmod in terms of performance? or which one is better just for reading experience

3: Because it is LCD, how long you can read it comfortably? I have TF201 and its screen is great but I still feel it hurts my eyes when I read long

Thanks again

btw,my major concern is actually I will be distracted by HD+ as a tablet. I cannot do anything on my kindle basic except read,but on tablet, I can image I always want to check mail,play game lol

Last edited by willincanada; 11-14-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #13
Roseweave
Enthusiast
Roseweave began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight, Nook HD
The Nook HD and HD+ are available in the UK so I don't imagine you need a US address. I could be wrong though.
Roseweave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
kwaknok
kwaknok began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs 300
Ive just got a Nook HD+ and I live in the UK. I just gave them my email address and gave a password, and yes it is really nice to read from. As already said the battery does not last as long (10 hours is probably right), but it is now my main reading device despite having a Kindle Touch and a Nook 6 inch e-reader. I use Coolreader as it is easy to customize and reads epub and mobi files.
The main benefit from the Nook HD+ is all the other things you can do with it.
kwaknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #15
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
I'm a little late to this discussion, but I've had a Nook HD+ for a couple of months now and I love it.

I bought it primarily for reading graphic novels, PDFs, music scores and the like, and it works brilliantly for the purpose. Although my Sony T2 is still my primary reader for regular EPUBs, I do now use the Nook for anything with significant illustrations or interactive content (it's fine for reading EPUBs as well, but the battery life would put me off having it as my only reader).
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote