Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-24-2015, 10:17 AM   #76
Myhailo
Myhailo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Hi. I have a problem after replacing the screen in the Kindle keyboard. When getting the diagnosis
Panel ID is ????_???_60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 6
Waveform ID is v110_000_60_m01.

I should I do next? Thank you.
Myhailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:21 AM   #77
katzurki
katzurki began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I had that on one of the Kindles. The [especially cheap] eink screen was missing the EEPROM chip. I'd return it for a refund and buy from a better dealer.
katzurki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #78
Myhailo
Myhailo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Time expired warranty. and previously solved the problem of restarting a broken screen. Now not. What do I do. Try re-soldering the chip with a broken screen or another way?
Myhailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #79
Theon144
Theon144 began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD
Hi!

I'm going to be buying a new replacement display for a K3, any advice on as to what to look for? I found a dozen of different types, all labeled as replacements for a K3.
Theon144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:30 AM   #80
katzurki
katzurki began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theon144 View Post
Hi!

I'm going to be buying a new replacement display for a K3, any advice on as to what to look for? I found a dozen of different types, all labeled as replacements for a K3.
The one that worked with my Kindle after the waveform update is labelled ED060SC7(LF).
katzurki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2015, 07:31 AM   #81
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzurki View Post
The one that worked with my Kindle after the waveform update is labelled ED060SC7(LF).
If both K3 devices where from the same production run.

There was (at least) three production runs of the K3, each using a different screen.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:10 PM   #82
John Keel
John Keel doesn't litterJohn Keel doesn't litter

Device: K3
Thanks to all the contributors on this thread that have helped me fix my kindle issue! For all the googlers out there, there are several documented fixes on this thread for Kindle keyboard (K3) greyscale display issues after installing a new screen. The problem is caused by the screen eeprom not matching the waveform file held by the kindle.

Temporary fix
This fix works by reading the healthy eeprom of the old (broken) screen on startup, then swapping screens after the kindle has booted. This solution only works until the next restart or factory reset. Because an update requires restarts, you should update to the latest software version before applying this fix. Details here.

Permanent fix
For a permanent fix, a further diagnosis is necessary. The actual problem can be caused by one of 2 things: either the panel ID doesn't match the waveform used, or the kindle is unable to read a panel ID at all. To determine which of these problems you have, it is necessary to reboot your kindle into diagnostic mode. Once in the mode, look for your panel ID in Misc Diagnostics (N), then Video (V). You then need to disable the ENABLE_DIAGS, otherwise it will just boot into the Diags everytime. From the main menu after you have updated the waveform hit 'D' and then 'X'. (thanks chris-red)
  1. Panel ID not equal to waveform. Your new screen's eeprom is programmed, but it does not match the waveform file.
  2. Panel ID:??? ???? ???? ???? - Your new screen has an unidentified (probably unprogrammed or missing ) eeprom

I bought my screen here and followed stysis's instructions. If anyone is interested, I have attached the rom file from my old (broken) screen that I used to program the new one. (ED060SC7(LF)C1 MMN60B2006(E74) <barcode> E30408741L1V05964AC)
Attached Files
File Type: zip ED060SC7(LF)C1.zip (30.6 KB, 510 views)

Last edited by John Keel; 03-01-2015 at 03:33 AM.
John Keel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:51 PM   #83
TheICTShamus
TheICTShamus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
what would I so to edit the .wbf file? I try opening it with gedit and it is unable to read the file text.
TheICTShamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:57 PM   #84
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheICTShamus View Post
what would I so to edit the .wbf file? I try opening it with gedit and it is unable to read the file text.
Use any hex (binary) editor (as in: hexedit).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:03 AM   #85
TheICTShamus
TheICTShamus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Alright, thanks. Even without editing the wbf file, my screen issue was fixed by updating the file in the diagnostics menu.
TheICTShamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #86
POOT
POOT began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Thanks for the thanks.

We are certain that we have a large user base than never registers or bothers to say "thank you".
It is nice to read it from our users.
+1 on the thank you for the temporary, and then permanent solution!!

This problem has been such a PITA, but you guys have clearly provided a solution that Amazon has not bothered to give us.

If you're ever in Norway, I'll buy you a beer.
POOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:47 PM   #87
johnxvt-ray
johnxvt-ray began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Hi,
My replacement panel has a Panel ID of 220E_102_60_M14 and like the topic, is not displaying grayscale correctly. On the video section of the diag screen, the Waveform ID is V110_000_60_M01. I tried renaming and modifying a copy of the V110_B059_60_WJ0105_ED060SC5_BTF.wbf for the fields mentioned above, but no luck yet getting the Kindle to accept a waveform file. I suspect I need to start with another base file for the wbf input, maybe something named 220_C008_60_WJ0705_ED060SC7H2_BTC.wbf?

Does anyone have pointers for finding a wbf file for these panels? The text on the panel's ribbon cable is: ED060SC7 (LF)H2-50 EER60C8608(E102) and E31508A21M8V00026CT.
johnxvt-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:56 PM   #88
adam.bradshaw
adam.bradshaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Thank you!

Thank you to katzurki and phikappa for the clear instructions. My patience was wearing thin after having performed the temporary solution multiple times over the last year or so. I was ready to buy a new Kindle if the permanent solution had not worked. This saved me some a good chunk of not-so-expendable money.
adam.bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:23 AM   #89
stuffreviver
Mr-fix-it
stuffreviver began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 4 Black
Kindle 4NT ED060SCN(LF) waveform file

Hi!
Could anyone please help me.
Maybe someone has and can share the waveform (wbf) file for Kindle 4 Black NT with screen ED060SCN(LF).The problem is that the screens came marked as ED060SCN(LF)-H2 and I stuck with the grayscale problem. They either do not have information on a eeprom at all, or it does not match the system requirments. Sure I would prefer to have permanent fix but I realy have no Idea how to dump the waveform file from the reader even having old brocken screen in it. Following the recommendations given here I'm going to check if there's something inside the LCD eeprom. But anyway I will need to have the waveform file to reflash it or to update.
stuffreviver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #90
lord_nibbler
lord_nibbler began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3g
Hey there!
I've had yet another broken pannel and now also a different replacement for it.
Does anybody have a wba file for the pannel_id V220_038_60_M24?
The old waveform works sort of okay, but on top there is a part of about 0.5 cm that is not working right. So for example I can't see if the wifi is on, nor the time nor the battery status.
lord_nibbler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cracked screen, eink, keyboard, update, waveform