Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-10-2013, 06:06 AM   #16
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunilda View Post
I read in (in order of competence/interest) Spanish, French, English, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Catalan, German, Greek, Turkish, Arabic. [...]
IMHO, the closest reader or app would be the Kindle.

Quote:
(1) support for non-Roman characters,
The Kindle fonts cover pretty much any common alphabet including, but not limited to, (polytonic) Greek, Arabic and Turkish. However, the default Arabic glyphs are really hard to read and vowel signs are not supported for larger font sizes.

Quote:
(2) monolingual (not translation) dictionaries.
The Kindle comes with 7 free commercial monolingual dictionaries (English US/UK, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese). Except for the French dictionary, Amazon has licensed the top notch dictionary for each language (Oxford, Lo Zingarelli, Duden, RAE, Priberam).
You can check out these 7 dictionaries by installing any of the free Kindle apps. (The non-English dictionaries are downloaded on demand if you open an ebook with non-English language metadata and try to look up a word in it.)

Since you most likely already have lots of epubs, maybe an Android tablet with Moon+ Reader and the Kindle app might fit the the bill.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
The Kindle comes with 7 free commercial monolingual dictionaries (English US/UK, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese).
Also Chinese, Japanese, and Korean, if memory serves me correctly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #18
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Also Chinese, Japanese, and Korean, if memory serves me correctly.
AFAIK, Amazon only provides a monolingual Japanese dictionary (Daijisen) and an English-Japanese dictionary (Shogakukan) for free.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:13 AM   #19
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
Free is nice, but availability is a must ^^. Some people write these dictionaries afterall...

On the Kindle, I would be concerned about storage space. If you read in five languages, you might want a monolingual dictionary on each language plus a translation dictionary back to your own language. That's 9 dictionaries. With the limited storage space on the Kindle, you should better stick to books in two languages only...
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:50 AM   #20
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansileran View Post
Free is nice, but availability is a must ^^. Some people write these dictionaries afterall...
Unlike some other readers whose dictionaries cannot be changed, installing a dictionary on a Kindle is as easy as transferring a Kindle book. (There's no jailbreak or firmware update required.) It's also relatively easy to create a custom dictionary from a tab delimited word list. The tricky part is finding a free word list with enough coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansileran View Post
On the Kindle, I would be concerned about storage space. If you read in five languages, you might want a monolingual dictionary on each language plus a translation dictionary back to your own language. That's 9 dictionaries. With the limited storage space on the Kindle, you should better stick to books in two languages only...
The size of the default monolingual dictionaries is only 15 to 20 MB per dictionary, leaving ample space for other books. I have an old K3 and haven't encountered any space issues even though I've lots of dictionaries and ebooks installed.
Advert
Old 07-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #21
qariwa55
Enthusiast
qariwa55 began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue T62D
I wrote a number of posts on the Pocketbook forum about getting PB 602 to display Arabic fonts properly. It is buggy, but if you fiddle with the fonts every time you open an Arabic epub, you can get it to work. I don't know if Pocketbook fixed the problems in later ereaders. I would like to see if Onyx does it right. One problem with Pocketbook is that they don't pay attention to any bug reports in English, so they never responded to my reports about Arabic bugginess. Frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
I have no personal experience but it seems from this video that onyx and pocketbook support RTL language epubs : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5z7oXH_LrA
I do not know how good the support is.

I would actually prefer pdf files as pdf files on onyx read as fast as epub. I once loaded an Idries Shah story book by mistake on my Onyx and the text was displayed in FBReader and CoolReader but not in PDFReader
qariwa55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionaries, foreign languages, multilingual, non-roman characters, other languages