Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #76
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Then we could write a 5 star review and laugh about all the whiners (=us).
LOL!
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #77
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Absolutely. Then we could write a 5 star review and laugh about all the whiners (=us).
LOL. Damn I want to be that person.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 01:21 AM   #78
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Me too
Some Andrew sent me a "sorry you are having problems with your Kindle" message yesterday, so I answered and asked him if he was the same Andrew who put me on hold for 15 to 20 minutes after I had already been talking to his team member for 40 minutes. I said that if indeed, he was the same Andrew, I wanted him to know how little helpful he was and that I ended up having to talk to more reps, since my phone battery died after 60 minutes on the phone with them, so it was a total waste of an hour on both our ends. I was angry, can you tell?
I got an automated reply back that my email did not reach its recipient because I cannot write to them directly.
However, Andrew answered today! He said he had never talked to me before and that he would like to assist me, but he especially wanted to know if he can cancel my other PW order that is supposed to ship 10/29.
So, I wrote a rather lenghty email asking him to help me get two good units. I explained what was wrong with the ones I got, and that I wanted two from the batch that the tech blog reviewers received, since that batch had obviously had gotten much better QC. And I CC'd Jeff at amazon dotcom.

I don't have a lot of hope and imagine Jeff receives tens of thousands of emails a day, so he will probably never even see it
I just want two good devices with an even background when the light is used, no holes in the screens,no articfacts below the screens, and no blinding bright light spots in the middle of the screen. That's all I want.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #79
morrow
Enthusiast
morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/PW/KV
Quote:
"Normal" is a word I won't commit to, but I have seen it at various degrees on other PWs. I see some blueish and pinkish background tint on yours:
Row 2:
alcove - blue
but - pink
Row 4:
As a result - blue
My heart - pink

Do you see this when you look at it in person?
I do see them, but only at certain angle, and if under direct light it's none existence.
morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #80
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Me too
Some Andrew sent me a "sorry you are having problems with your Kindle" message yesterday, so I answered and asked him if he was the same Andrew who put me on hold for 15 to 20 minutes after I had already been talking to his team member for 40 minutes. I said that if indeed, he was the same Andrew, I wanted him to know how little helpful he was and that I ended up having to talk to more reps, since my phone battery died after 60 minutes on the phone with them, so it was a total waste of an hour on both our ends. I was angry, can you tell?
I got an automated reply back that my email did not reach its recipient because I cannot write to them directly.
However, Andrew answered today! He said he had never talked to me before and that he would like to assist me, but he especially wanted to know if he can cancel my other PW order that is supposed to ship 10/29.
So, I wrote a rather lenghty email asking him to help me get two good units. I explained what was wrong with the ones I got, and that I wanted two from the batch that the tech blog reviewers received, since that batch had obviously had gotten much better QC. And I CC'd Jeff at amazon dotcom.

I don't have a lot of hope and imagine Jeff receives tens of thousands of emails a day, so he will probably never even see it
I just want two good devices with an even background when the light is used, no holes in the screens,no articfacts below the screens, and no blinding bright light spots in the middle of the screen. That's all I want.
To me that sounds like they are getting tired of shipping a lot of PWs to you. I've never heard this happening with Kindle orders, but I seem to recall way back before Amazon even had Kindles that people who sent back a lot of orders would have their accounts frozen or closed. There was a lot of bad press over this and I think Amazon stopped the practice. Now that was 10 years ago or so, but it is one reason I decided not to try for a 4th or 10th PW. There are probably some people within Amazon who realize there is a major QC problem with the PW and know that some customers might need to try several units before getting an acceptable one. But Amazon is huge and huge companies often don't have good interdepartmental communications. So it is possible that the department that investigates a consumer who returns a lot of items might not have a clue as to this PW issue.
Advert
Old 10-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #81
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd be heart-broken if I lost my Amazon account. I can't even imagine!
But I am not sending them back for no reason, so I would not be silent about it if they did this to me. Good thing I took pictures of all of them.

The same Andrew called me back on Friday but I couldn't pick up. He followed up with an email and said he needed to talk to me about specifics, and that I should not do anything about the Kindles until we speak. Hm. Thing is, there is no way to call him back directly, and if I miss one call, it's back to waiting. He'll call me early next week. Meanwhile, a new PW is scheduled to arrive here on Monday.
The more I think about it, the less I can imagine just sending everything back and waiting for the next model. I just fell in love with the software on it.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #82
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
The more I think about it, the less I can imagine just sending everything back and waiting for the next model. I just fell in love with the software on it.
Same here, xendula. I really love everything about the PW, it's such a shame about the color blotches. I'm choosing to keep mine anyway just because this one is pretty good. Like you, I really love the software. Let us know how everything goes for you. Good luck!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #83
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
On my Kindle Kbd 3rd Gen WiFi I requested a replacement after just one week since it kept shorting out. The replacement also shorted on an intermittent basis.

I kept it for 3 month and just tolerated the intermittant shorts until I realized it was the unlighted cover with the two metal hooks shorting the Kindle. I posted that thread here and dozens confirmed the same situation as me.

Then I called Amazon CS and directed them to the thread here. They reviewed it and gave me full cash back on the cover even though it was well past the 30 day refund period.

I rarely return purchases from Amazon unless they are DOA when I open the box. If they turn defective months later, I just discard them and eat the loss. That happens very rarely.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #84
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
To me that sounds like they are getting tired of shipping a lot of PWs to you. I've never heard this happening with Kindle orders, but I seem to recall way back before Amazon even had Kindles that people who sent back a lot of orders would have their accounts frozen or closed.
I had this problem with my Kindle DXG. It's tied to the Kindle device not the account. Which means that some used Kindles are ticking time bombs.

The story here was that I bought a used Kindle DXG from craigslist that sort of broke on me. I contacted Amazon who happily agreed to replace it, half a day later my account was closed. Contacted Amazon again and they said that the Kindle DXG I bought was returned a huge amount of times and they froze my account.

Thankfully customer service is pretty nice, I got moved up to a higher level rep who quickly saw that I was not the original purchaser, not even close. So they reopened up my account, unfortunately they wouldn't replace the Kindle though so I had to fix it myself.
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
setite, is it your photos or are your blacks somewhat grey?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #86
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier View Post
I had this problem with my Kindle DXG. It's tied to the Kindle device not the account. Which means that some used Kindles are ticking time bombs.

The story here was that I bought a used Kindle DXG from craigslist that sort of broke on me. I contacted Amazon who happily agreed to replace it, half a day later my account was closed. Contacted Amazon again and they said that the Kindle DXG I bought was returned a huge amount of times and they froze my account.

Thankfully customer service is pretty nice, I got moved up to a higher level rep who quickly saw that I was not the original purchaser, not even close. So they reopened up my account, unfortunately they wouldn't replace the Kindle though so I had to fix it myself.
I never even would have thought that Amazon would replace a device purchased through craigslist! How old was it?
Old 10-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #87
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Manufacturer warranties follow the device, not the purchaser, so if it was still in the warranty period. This was quite some time ago, when the DXG was somewhat "newer".
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #88
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I'm fully satisfied with my Paperwhite and really don't care what others say about it.

I still think most folks are just being too picky about minor issues.
+1 on that..
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #89
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
The funny thing is how few "Pics of *good* Paperwhites" actually exist in this thread, given the title. You'd think people would be rushing to prove us wrong. (I mean, it's not that much more effort than randomly telling strangers on the internet that their opinion is invalid.)

So if you think we're all just nitpicking, do the following:

1) Turn your PW up to max light level in a dimly-lit room. (No significant external lighting, no sunlight.)

2) Take a photo with your phone with no flash, with the light setting present on-screen (so we can see you have it on 24)

3) Attach it to a message in this thread

Trust me, if you have a unit with no pink and green/blue or obvious unevenness, many of us would love to see it and/or will be quite jealous.

We've already seen sirmaru's and we know his has color blobs.

Last edited by Trauma Doll; 10-14-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #90
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
The funny thing is how few "Pics of *good* Paperwhites" actually exist in this thread, given the title. You'd think people would be rushing to prove us wrong. (I mean, it's not that much more effort than randomly telling strangers on the internet that their opinion is invalid.)

So if you think we're all just nitpicking, do the following:

1) Turn your PW up to max light level in a dimly-lit room. (No significant external lighting, no sunlight.)

2) Take a photo with your phone with no flash, with the light setting present on-screen (so we can see you have it on 24)

3) Attach it to a message in this thread

Trust me, if you have a unit with no pink and green/blue or obvious unevenness, many of us would love to see it and/or will be quite jealous.

We've already seen sirmaru's and we know his has color blobs.
Ditto!