Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook > PocketBook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-31-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Browser of Pro models with touch

Assuming it is possible to do it, has anybody "extracted" the browser from the 903/603/912/612 as a standalone application?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Do you mean so that it could be copied to, say, a 360+? I don't have either of those types of devices, but I expect it would work. The Pro and 360+ devices seem to be compatible. Besides the program itself, you'd also have to duplicate the configuration and cache folders and files, I guess. It's too bad that you don't use Linux, because you could get the files right from the latest firmware update itself (after unpacking it and mounting the ext2 filesystem images that are inside).
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

there is nothing I wouldn't give go to with the right incentives
On my windows laptop I have a virtual machine with Ubuntu: could I use that?
Old 04-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
there is nothing I wouldn't give go to with the right incentives
On my windows laptop I have a virtual machine with Ubuntu: could I use that?
Yes, that would be fine. You need to copy the firmware update into Ubuntu (shared storage works well). There is a file on the net called pbfwsplit.pl that is used to pull the pieces out of the firmware. Let me know if you can't find it. Once you copy it to the same place as the firmware, you'd do something like the following:

Code:
mkdir tmp
cd tmp
unzip ../sw_20111215_902_CIS_2.1.2_user.zip
../pbfwsplit.pl SWUPDATE.BIN
sudo mount app.img /mnt
sudo mount /mnt/cramfs.img /media
Within the 902 firmware, /media/bin/browser.app is a shell script that calls bookland.app. It's probably different within the 912 firmware. Whatever it calls, copy that file from /media/bin and move it to your other device.

Look around the /mnt and /media directories to see if there is anything else that looks important and would need to be copied over. When you're finished with those, you can unmount them in reverse order with the commands:

Code:
sudo umount /media
sudo umount /mnt
It's then safe to delete the files that were unpacked into the tmp directory.

It's possible that the browser may need libraries that are missing on the 360+. So, it would be best to start it within a script first and save the output to file. For example, the script could look like this if the program is called bookland.app and was copied to /mnt/ext1/applications:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
/mnt/ext1/applications/bookland.app 1> /mnt/ext2/out.txt 2> /mnt/ext2/out.txt
Then you could open out.txt and read what stuff was output when the program was run.

Happy hacking.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:07 AM   #5
paola
Wizard

Rob, you are a goldmine, and so helpful!
I've found the "pbfwsplit.pl"
here:
http://ava1ar.views.fm/pocketbook
I think this must be a page mantained by a user on the Russian forum, ava1ar (the one with a bird as avatar), and as it has got load of stuff I leave the link in case it may be of use to you guys who know what to do with those utilities
Can't wait to play with this tonight, agin many thanks!
Advert
Old 04-06-2012, 03:41 AM   #6
paola
Wizard

ouch, I am afraid I am having problems - to begin with, I was only using the virtual machine with "try ubuntu", and the terminal was not even recognising unzip. So I installed the latest version of ubuntu, and at least now when I enter the unzip command it does work (mind you, it did not run from the temporary directory - but if I move in the directory "Downloads" where I put the firwmare and the pbfwsplit.pl it does when running it as 'unzip filename.zip', that is removing ../).
Now I am stuck with making the pbfwsplit work, as when running the line
Quote:
pbfwsplit.pl SWUPDATE.BIN
from inside the directory with all the files I get in reply
Quote:
pbfwsplit: command not found
while if I run
Quote:
../pbfwsplit.pl SWUPDATE.BIN
I get
Quote:
bash: ../pbfwsplit.pl SWUPDATE.BIN: No such file or directory
same story if I try and run the command from the tmp directory created. Any suggestions?

I am running all from the gnome terminal emulator 3.0.1 inside ubuntu 11.10
Old 04-06-2012, 04:10 AM   #7
rkomar
Wizard

You probably don't have the current directory (".") in your path. Try executing it as:

Code:
./pbfwsplit.pl SWUPDATE.BIN
meaning, run the version of pbfwsplit.pl in the current directory. Or, since pbfwsplit.pl is a perl script, you can run it as:

Code:
perl pbfwsplit.pl SWUPDATE.BIN
since "perl" will be in your executable path.

".." refers to the parent directory of where you are, so "../pbfwsplit.pl" would only work if the script was in that directory. In my earlier instructions, I created the temporary directory where pbfwsplit.pl and the firmware were. When you change into the temporary directory, then the script and firmware would be accessed using the "../" prefix. I did it that way because splitting the firmware creates quite a few files, and I wanted to keep them separate from the originals. But you don't have to do it exactly that way. Splitting the files in the same directory would still work, too.

Edit: Oh yes, to run the script as "./pbfwsplit.pl", it has to have the executable permission bits set. Running "chmod +x pbfwsplit.pl" would do that. If you run it with "perl pbfwsplit.pl", then the script doesn't need the exectutable bits set since it is actually "perl" that is being run directly.

Last edited by rkomar; 04-06-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
paola
Wizard

rob, again a lot of thanks! I did manage, and all the applications are there! Of course, I could not get the browser to launch, but thanks to your suggestion of writing things down, there is a clue.

First of all, I did the following: put "browser.app" (the executable, coming from the "media" directory) in the \system\bin directory, then slightly modified your call to it by creating a text file "arora.app" in the "applications" directory containing the following:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
/mnt/ext1/system/bin/browser.app 1> /mnt/ext2/out.txt 2> /mnt/ext2/out.txt
The "out" file registered the following
Code:
/mnt/ext1/system/bin/browser.app: error while loading shared libraries: libQtWebKit.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I have found such file, denoted as "link to shared library", together with a file "libQtWebKit.so" and another one called "libQtWebKit.so.4.9", but I am not sure what I am supposed to do with them. Grateful for any suggestions

EDIT: I have uploaded the "browser.app" file - just rename it by remove it the ".zip" extension, which I had to add in order to be able to upload the file
Attached Files
File Type: zip browser.app.zip (764.1 KB, 546 views)

Last edited by paola; 04-06-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
rkomar
Wizard

You've made good progress. The missing libraries are also available within the firmware file. The libQtWebKit.so library itself depends on a few other libQt* libraries. So, you'll need to copy them all to the device in a way that browser.app will be able to use them. So here goes:

Create a directory for the library files on the device, say /mnt/ext1/system/lib. Then copy over the libQtWebKit.so.4.9.0 file to that directory. You should also copy over the libQt* files in /media/lib to the same directory (assuming you mounted the files as I showed earlier).

The files can't be used as shared libraries as is, because they are generally referred to by shorter names like libQtWebKit.so.4. This is to allow one to upgrade the library files without needing to rebuilt the programs that use them as well, as long as they refer to a library file with the same major version number (like '4' in this case). Rather than wasting space and making more copies with different names, shared links are used instead to give the same file multiple names. For example, ' ls -l /mnt/lib/libQt*' will show you the shorter names pointing to each full file. You can see that the links are small in size, and only the full file takes up the full space.

I don't know if you can create these links from a Windows command shell. It might be easier to allow your Ubuntu to access the reader via USB and create the links that way. If you go that route, then you should go into the new library directory and create the links with commands like this:

Code:
ln -s libQtWebKit.so.4.9.0 libQtWebKit.so.4
ln -s libQtWebKit.so.4.9.0 libQtWebKit.so
If that turns out to be too much bother, then you can just copy the files and say to hell with saving diskspace:

Code:
cp libQtWebKit.so.4.9.0 libQtWebKit.so.4
cp libQtWebKit.so.4.9.0 libQtWebKit.so
Finally, you have to let the program know where to look for the new shared libraries, because the new /mnt/ext1/system/lib directory is not in the default search path for such things. You can do this by adding the following line inside your shell script for starting browser.app:

Code:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/ext1/system/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Place the line before the one where you call the app, and the app will use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to find the library files in their new location.

That should solve your missing libraries problem. I tried all this on my 902, and got to the next error message:

Code:
Failed to load platform plugin "". Available platforms are:
so it looks like some kind of Qt plugins also need to be copied over. It's lunchtime for me, so I'll have to get back to this later, but maybe you can figure it out on your own in the meantime.

Last edited by rkomar; 04-06-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
nausica
Connoisseur
nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Energy Reader Pro
Hi paola and rkomar,
you made me curious , as I've ubuntu on usb stick have tried too.
It's successful, the browser starts and how it can't load Bookland it load obrey site.
I have only done login in obrey.

I found two programs, Bookland.app and browser.app.
Bookland.app I copied in /sistem / bin and "renamed browser" in /applications.
Loading browser from the applications, it's ran.

I also run the script of rkomar and this is the "out" file:

Code:
Atached mp shm: id 0 addr 40567000 size 17256
Atached fb shm: id 8001 addr 405ac000 size 979232
PartialUpdateBW 0, 2, 599, 797
PartialUpdate 0, 2, 599, 797
PartialUpdate 0, 2, 599, 797

I attach the two files of the browser, extracts from the last fw pb902 (fast driver)
Attached Files
File Type: zip estratto.zip (1.81 MB, 498 views)
nausica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #11
rkomar
Wizard

I got a little farther. I copied the /media/lib/qtplugins directory to /mnt/ext1/system/lib, and then changed the shell script to start the application to:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/ext1/system/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=/mnt/ext1/system/lib/qtplugins
/mnt/ext1/system/bin/browser.app -platform PocketBook 1> /mnt/ext2/out.txt 2> /mnt/ext2/out.txt
It actually started up the browser, but it died when I pressed any button. The message in the output file was:

/mnt/ext1/system/bin/browser.app: symbol lookup error: /mnt/ext1/system/lib/qtplugins/bearer/libqpbbearer.so: undefined symbol: IsTaskActive

I'm still running the old 2.04 firmware on my 902, and I don't think it has any of the new task switching functionality built into it. Perhaps you'll have better luck with the 360+.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #12
rkomar
Wizard

@nausica: I don't have a 360+. My 902 (with 2.04 firmware) has bookland.app as the default browser. Is the default browser on the 360+ so bad that bookland.app is an improvement?
Old 04-07-2012, 02:46 AM   #13
paola
Wizard

guys, thank you all so much - I am out all day, but will have a serious go tonight: the links browser is so much worse than Aurora, that it is really worth the effort imho.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #14
paola
Wizard

ok, I've been patiently adding files in the library as needed - the problem is that there are some which are not in the "lib" or "qtplugins" in the media directory, as some are in the /mnt directory, and some other must be hidden as I only find them if I do a "search". Moreover, for some libraries it seems that older versions are required (e.g. a "libcui18n.so.44.1", instead of the more recent .2 ending, so that in order not to get an error message I had to copy libcui18n.so.44.1 into libcui18n.so.44, instead of the more recent file).

Still not working, though, but the latest error message I get is
Code:
Bus error

In case it is of use, I've uploaded the files in my "lib" directory here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19955182/lib.zip
(I removed the "qtplugins" directory as for some reason the programme could not find it)
Old 04-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #15
rkomar
Wizard

"Bus error" is a bad sign. It means some incompatibility between the new libraries and those on the system, or even with the kernel. This was always a risk. Are you getting the new files from a firmware update for a 912, or for a 903 device? If the former, maybe you can try with files from the latter (maybe they're more compatible with older libraries).

I had similar problems when I tried to load AdobeViewer.app from the latest firmware version to my 902 with the 2.04 firmware. Maybe you will have to fall back to bookland.app, as nausica has demonstrated that it works. Sorry about the waste of time, but I hope that you at least feel a bit more empowered about hacking your device.