Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 03:31 AM   #1
louwin
Newbie Nerd
louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3 64Gb Black
Why is the iPad so restrictive?

I have a Wi-Drive. It comes with an App. I have installed 2 or 3 Apps that claim to play various video formats but when I tap on a video (avi) and "open in" none of these Apps came up as options....

Whose fault is this? The Wi-Drive App or the video Apps?
louwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:41 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You say that the apps "claim to play various video formats", but do those "various formats" include the specific video and audio codecs that your files are using?

Simple answer: it's the app. There's no reason an iPad can't play an AVI file, but the app developer has to include the right codec support. iPad video is generally MPEG4/H264, rather than AVI.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
The app, defenitely.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #4
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by louwin View Post
I have a Wi-Drive. It comes with an App. I have installed 2 or 3 Apps that claim to play various video formats but when I tap on a video (avi) and "open in" none of these Apps came up as options....
Does your Wi-Drive have the capability to work as an FTP or SAMBA server, or do you have to use its own app?
If it can work as a server, then you can use a video app like OPlayerHD, which can access and download from servers.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
When it comes to the ipad, the processor in the device is rather limited. The ipad is passively cooled, and battery driven, so the processor must be underclocked to save energy and keep it from burning up.

Video decoding is therefore usually done by the video card, and not done by software. The hardware decoding is limited to a few formats [1], but any format can be decoded in software if the developer adds support for it.

But because of the limited hardware and limited memory not all formats can be decoded in real time, e.g. high definition video: some formats are simply too demanding to decode by software.

[1] http://www.ipadintouch.com/the-compl...-video-format/
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norway1456 View Post
Video decoding is therefore usually done by the video card, and not done by software. The hardware decoding is limited to a few formats [1], but any format can be decoded in software if the developer adds support for it.
Thanks - I didn't know that. The explains why pretty much all iPad video is MPEG4 or H264.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
louwin
Newbie Nerd
louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

2 video players with the formats they claim to play....

playable - avi, xvid, mov, mp4 & flv

Video Stream - mp4, mov, avi, mkv, divx, xvid, flv, wmv, 3gp

Yes, the Wi-Drive has its' own App which IS loaded and running. The Wi-drive too is powered up and connected thru WiFi.

Click on an avi and "Open in" and neither "playable" nor "Video Stream" is offered for selection. I've also tried with an "mkv" file, "video Stream" is again NOT offered to open in....

Both these players are free so anyone can check them out.

Bit difficult to test if you don't have a Wi-Drive though

I wouldn't swear to it but I don't think iTunes will sync with these players either.

I've tried with "playable" passive AND active with no success.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
I use an app call BuzzHD and it has played all formats I've thrown at it with the exception of some HD files I had (mkv format). They updated recently to say that these files could now be played but I've not tested since.
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by louwin View Post
2 video players with the formats they claim to play....

playable - avi, xvid, mov, mp4 & flv

Video Stream - mp4, mov, avi, mkv, divx, xvid, flv, wmv, 3gp

Yes, the Wi-Drive has its' own App which IS loaded and running. The Wi-drive too is powered up and connected thru WiFi.

Click on an avi and "Open in" and neither "playable" nor "Video Stream" is offered for selection. I've also tried with an "mkv" file, "video Stream" is again NOT offered to open in....

Both these players are free so anyone can check them out.

Bit difficult to test if you don't have a Wi-Drive though

I wouldn't swear to it but I don't think iTunes will sync with these players either.

I've tried with "playable" passive AND active with no success.
How have you loaded your videos into the app? As I'm sure you know, an app on the iPad has all its files within it. Unless an app offers "Open In..." functionality, it can't use the files that have been loaded by another app.

Is there perhaps some way within the app of uploading files for it?
Old 07-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #10
louwin
Newbie Nerd

No I haven't loaded the videos INTO the Apps concerned though I did try to "sync" with iTunes(I think?).

That is the claimed beauty of the Wi-Drive - you can store your files (movies, eBooks and Photos) on the Wi-Drive and stream to, up to, 3 iPads at the same time. It also works with eBooks and Photos

Except it doesn't seem to quite work. (with avi and mkv)????

Works PERFECTLY with an "M4V" though which gives me hope with other formats
Old 07-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #11
louwin
Newbie Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
I use an app call BuzzHD and it has played all formats I've thrown at it with the exception of some HD files I had (mkv format). They updated recently to say that these files could now be played but I've not tested since.
Searched for BuzzHD in the AppStore but the search failed

I like your signature
Old 07-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Sorry, it is Buzz Player HD - http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/buzz-...389744550?mt=8
Old 07-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Someone here describes successfully doing what I suggested, running OPlayerHD, browsing to the WiDrive and downloading or streaming from there.

And someone here describes moving a file from the WiDrive to the iPad and then Open In'ing to OPlayerHD.

So I would suggest that the fault lies with the video playing apps you have tried.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
louwin
Newbie Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
Looked under "buzz" and found it

It has 3 reviews and all bad

At AUD$5.49 it is a bit expensive to "try out". Will check if it has a free "Lite" version to "try".
Old 07-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #15
PieOPah
Addict

Current rating is 3/5 (8 ratings) Seems that not everybody likes the latest version - but this does appear to be related to mkv files.

Average across all versions 3.5/5 (204 Ratings).

Personally I've not had any problems with the app and I use it pretty much every day. Fair enough I tend to only play avi or mp4 files, but when I've played others, they have also worked.

There may be some free apps also available, but I've never had cause to look!