Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
zum
zum began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
4Digit Number required (rooted)

Rooted the PRS-T1 and everything went ok. tried for an hour to check this. I left the device on sleep mode for 5 hours or so. When I tried to read smthing, a message appeared to introduce the 4 digit number. I own the device for 3 weeks and nothing like this happened before.

When I rooted the device, I entered a password, but it was for the android application part. And in the 1 hour testing nothing appeared to be broken.

I've tried the solutions for rescuing the device: the hard way -- factory reset and the from the wiki with the micro SD, but with no success. Every attempt of pressing the buttons (next, the loop bottom (back), respectively home and menu) brought the device to the same screen asking for the 4 digit numbers.

The bad part with the pass-worded device is that it doesn't mount (only it is recognized by the OS) and for the moment I cant do anything (from what Ive tried and read).

Hopefully some1 has encountered this situation and somehow has managed to solve it. If this is the case, pls share it or a workaround.

I can use as OS Windows XP and Debian@GnuLinux so I don't bother about the complexity. Maybe it is smthing which I didn't noticed about how to restore the functionality.
zum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zum View Post
I've tried the solutions for rescuing the device: the hard way -- factory reset and the from the wiki with the micro SD, but with no success. Every attempt of pressing the buttons (next, the loop bottom (back), respectively home and menu) brought the device to the same screen asking for the 4 digit numbers.
So the reader did not pick up your update.

The instructions in the wiki are not very precise (I think, I will change a few things).

It is important to shutdown the device completely (not only sleepmode or reset). If you have no way to do this through normal controls, try RESET + POWER and hold a few moments. You won't notice anything, it will just freeze and not react on any key or touch.

The root of the card has to contain the folder "OS Firmware". It does not matter, whether you extract it right on the card, copy it there, or whatever. Just make sure, the Filesystem is ok (maybe reformat once more with your computer)

It is not so important to connect to a charger. I did several rescues without. As long as your battery is between half and full, it should work. You only have to survive about 10-15 minutes of CPU activity.

After starting up, press and hold HOME and MENU until the progress bar has reached the right side (this is, what is meant by "stabilized" in the wiki).

If it picks up the update package, there won't be any signs of activity except for a regular orange blinking of the LED in the power button.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
zum

thx for answer. I’ve understood the part with the shut down (reset+shut down button) -- closed it several times and all the others. also I have copied the "OS firmware" folder (i have other folders on the mSD -- is this an issue?), but no success till I will try again following the new tip: <<After starting up, press and hold HOME and MENU until the progress bar has reached the right side (this is, what is meant by "stabilized" in the wiki).>>

1 more thing -- the partition of mSD has to be fat32 or ext3,4?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Quote:
1 more thing -- the partition of mSD has to be fat32 or ext3,4?
It worked for me with FAT32
Old 01-18-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
jeffreylzhao
jeffreylzhao began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Prs-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishcompany View Post
So the reader did not pick up your update.

The instructions in the wiki are not very precise (I think, I will change a few things).

It is important to shutdown the device completely (not only sleepmode or reset). If you have no way to do this through normal controls, try RESET + POWER and hold a few moments. You won't notice anything, it will just freeze and not react on any key or touch.

The root of the card has to contain the folder "OS Firmware". It does not matter, whether you extract it right on the card, copy it there, or whatever. Just make sure, the Filesystem is ok (maybe reformat once more with your computer)

It is not so important to connect to a charger. I did several rescues without. As long as your battery is between half and full, it should work. You only have to survive about 10-15 minutes of CPU activity.

After starting up, press and hold HOME and MENU until the progress bar has reached the right side (this is, what is meant by "stabilized" in the wiki).

If it picks up the update package, there won't be any signs of activity except for a regular orange blinking of the LED in the power button.
could you help me to confirm how long the " a regular orange blinking of the LED in the power button" will remain I have waited 45 min it also have no any change
jeffreylzhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 06:32 AM   #6
jeffreylzhao

the te file is empty?

in this OS firmware files, the file of TE is empty? the updat.img is 300M?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
zum

regarding the size of the forlder everything is ok. in the following hours I will try to fix the device. thx.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
jeffreylzhao

Quote:
regarding the size of the forlder everything is ok. in the following hours I will try to fix the device. thx.
waiting for your good news
Old 01-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
zum

tried: no result.
Steps followed:
1. formatted the mSD -- copied the OS Firmware folder
2. completely shutdown the device (reset+shutdown -- the 4digits screen was frozen)
3. inserted the mSD
4. started the device from the power button
5. pressed the Home+Menu (from the start of bar loading or even before until it was almost full).
6. the same screen appeared (2 arrows indicating loading) for 3 sec. and then the annoying for now 4digits screen popped up.
7. I will try again on weekend.
the instruction are well, but I do ppbly smthing wrong
Old 01-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
vishcompany
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreylzhao View Post
could you help me to confirm how long the " a regular orange blinking of the LED in the power button" will remain I have waited 45 min it also have no any change
45 min is too long. The update process (if it works ok) is done in 10-15 minutes. It can be, that it does not reboot by itself (happened to me, too). Before letting it blink away for ever, you better start the device by pressing the power button.

Could you please confirm, that once the update process started, the circling arrows (indicating loading) do/did not show up.

Quote:
5. pressed the Home+Menu (from the start of bar loading or even before until it was almost full).
6. the same screen appeared (2 arrows indicating loading) for 3 sec. and then the annoying for now 4digits screen popped up.
5. "until it was almost full": What happens if you wait, until it is completely full. It should go all the way to the right and then just stop moving. (And the LED should start blinking)
6. I'm not completely sure (it has been a while since my last recovery procedure), but if I'm not mistaken, as soon as the arrows (indicating loading) show up, the reader has missed to pick up the update process (for whatever reason). I hope jeffreylzhao can confirm this (so I can put it in the wiki)

The rest sounds ok, so either the reader does not like the filesystem formatting, or the package is damaged (maybe download and unpack once more), or you press HOME*MENU too shortly or the bootloader is damaged (but then, it would not boot at all, so this is no option here)
Old 01-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
jeffreylzhao

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishcompany View Post
45 min is too long. The update process (if it works ok) is done in 10-15 minutes. It can be, that it does not reboot by itself (happened to me, too). Before letting it blink away for ever, you better start the device by pressing the power button.

Could you please confirm, that once the update process started, the circling arrows (indicating loading) do/did not show up.

The rest sounds ok, so either the reader does not like the filesystem formatting, or the package is damaged (maybe download and unpack once more), or you press HOME*MENU too shortly or the bootloader is damaged (but then, it would not boot at all, so this is no option here)
I want to confirm that the os firmware have one file "TE" is it empty?and other document is updat.img which have 300m. I think maybe my download package is wrong
Old 01-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #12
jeffreylzhao

If I have wrong package, where can be download the right file?and I find if I hold home and menu,the display will frozen, no any blink and light will yellow and blink. So I think that means load unscessfully.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
vishcompany
Addict

I still have the "OS Firmware" folder on my sd-card.
It contains a folder "files", inside this there is update.img, which is 314,6 MB.
I did several rescues with this.

Just downloaded the package once more from the wiki-link. It looks just the same.

Quote:
and I find if I hold home and menu,the display will frozen, no any blink and light will yellow and blink
Sorry, but I can't follow you exactly there.
If the display freezes and the yellow LED in the power button blinks, it is all right. You then have to wait 10-15 minutes for the complete update to take place.
If it does not reboot by itself, then you can start yourself after about 15 minutes by pressing RESET and the POWER.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #14
zum

solved it. https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/thumbsup.gif. what have I done:

1. formated again the mSD -- (in Debian with parted -- from my perspective shouldn't matter the tool, but it was the only 1 which did the job[tried gparted, fdisk, gnu-fdisk])
2. put the device in sleep mode
3. shut down completely (reset+shutdown buttons)
4. inserted the mSD with the "OS Firmware" (copied again on the new formatted FAT32)
5. followed instructions -- pressed Home+Menu until the end of the loading process, then released
6. the blinking started and w8ed for about 20 min (as I was away for some minutes didnt noticed what happened, but the loading bar wasnt full anymore. I've waited for some more minutes and decided to remove de the mSD and restart/initialize the device)
7. everything looks ok now -- opened a book and scrolled a few pages.

1 more thing -- shall I root the device again (are there some critical points in the tutorial which should I be aware of?)?. I think the instruction are simple and clear, dunno what I've missed.

https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliestext/thankyou.gif vishcompany
Old 01-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #15
vishcompany
Addict

Glad it worked out!

Your experiences match pretty much my own. The file system does matter, better do it with a Linux box (I used gparted, which worked for me). After a while the loading bar isn't full any more (my guess is, that this shows an unsuccessful reboot, which gets stuck), but I'm not sure here.
I guess, I will update the wiki a little bit. Are there places, which you found confusing?

Why not try rooting again? Now that you know how to rescue, the risk of messing up is even smaller...