Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Flea Market

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
Sony PRS-950 BNIB (I have two of them for sale)

Asking $280 with free shipping. I have two of these available to sell, still in the box, from Best Buy, brand new and never opened.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-17-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
NOTE TO ALL MEMBERS:

Please read the STICKY, which is directed toward ALL careful Members of MobileRead.

Don
(Moderator)
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, price reduced to $280, with free shipping. Again, these are brand new in box. Never used.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
Japes
Addict

Bump!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
Ok, price reduced to $280, with free shipping. Again, these are brand new in box. Never used.
Considering you probably paid $200, I would have to say that $280 is way overpriced. Unless of course it's $280 for both.

Also, are you giving the receipt to the buyer so the what is left of the warranty can be had? And if you did pay $200 each, you'll be showing the buyer that that you are charging more. I don't see how this sale can work.
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
Japes
Addict

Not sure how much you know about simple economics, but, there is something called "supply and demand" at work here. My cost is of no relevance to the current market price. Is it available presently at $200? If so, then you are correct, and I likely won't get more than that, however, as we both know, it is NOT available at $200 anymore (not a single one left at any Best Buy in the entire country).

By the way, using your same (absurd) logic, then someone who purchases wholesale, also shouldn't expect to receive retail pricing, is that about right?
Old 07-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
Japes
Addict

By the way, take a stroll on over to ebay, and you will see the following completed listings, all within the past few days:

$299.95
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PRS-950SC-D...item43a8585141

$237.50 (refurbished)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Manufacture-Refu...item1c1d19fd7d

$383 (yes, $383)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Reader-Dail...item519a1bdb70

$325
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Sony-PRS-950...item19c72be282

So again, if you have nothing constructive (or even remotely intelligent, for that matter) to contribute, why not just stay out?
Old 07-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
Japes
Addict

Will be posting on ebay if I can't get $280 on here.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #9
Tomoe
Tomoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So again, if you have nothing constructive (or even remotely intelligent, for that matter) to contribute, why not just stay out?
He had very constructive things to say, things that will help people who would buy this reach a decision; if you are honest what he shared here won't affect your sale - it will simply disrupt an attempt at making easy money. Yes, there are rules of supply-and-demand, but then there are also people who abuse them and add no value, but increase the price anyway. You are trying to flip these devices on to a tight-knit community that plays by fair rules and is being fair, polite and honest. If you can't respect that, why don't you stay out?

Also, why do you think it's ok to insult him by saying that what he has to say is not 'even remotely intelligent'? He was polite to you.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #10
Japes
Addict

Are you kidding me? I was asking the original MSRP anyway. I wasn't by any stretch gouging anyone, so, again, there ARE simple rules at play here, and, you sir (who has 11 posts to your name), are mistaken.

If you don't want it, don't buy it. There is NOTHING wrong with providing a product or service, at a fair market price, and making a buck while doing so. If you disagree with that, then you are about as intelligent as the person who made the ignorant post to which I previously responded. Now, again, stay out of the thread.

Either way, I have already posted one of them on ebay. Ebay is a great representation of a fair market, and I will get top dollar on there (as I have in the past under similar circumstances). No loss for me (except maybe $10 in ebay fees).

Last edited by Japes; 07-17-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #11
Japes
Addict

By the way, where do you suppose you can get one of these, BNIB, for less than what I'm asking? If you can, and you want one, you are free to do so. That's what makes a fair market economy a wonderful thing...that you can buy or not buy as you see fit.

Do you consider yourself part of this close knit community? If so, why do you have 11 posts, in 5 years? Not quite a major contributor, are you?
Old 07-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #12
Japes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Considering you probably paid $200, I would have to say that $280 is way overpriced. Unless of course it's $280 for both.

If I paid $1 for a Mickey Mantle rookie card 50 years ago, should I sell it for $1 today, "because that's what I paid"? THAT is why this is a completely ignorant post. And one which contributes NOTHING to the well being of this community as a whole.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #13
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
A free market works on the notion of a "perfect market", a part of which notion involves the idea that all participants have perfect information. We can never achieve perfect information but we can do our best. Anyone with any sense who is thinking of forking out $280 will do a bit of research. They'll find that the Sony Store has these listed at $299 but unavailable, and that Best Buy doesn't have them listed at all. The fact that Best Buy used to have them cheap might be useful information - if you are willing to wait and see if they have them again, for example. The research might take you to eBay, where you might find one cheaper, but no much and not NIB.

So, if I was in the market for one of these now, and I had done some research, I would likely think this was a fair price at the moment. It annoys me when I see people apparently trying to rip members off on MR, but I don't think this seller is doing that. Whether they get $280 is another question though.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #14
Japes
Addict

Thank you. EXTREMELY well said.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #15
Tomoe
Tomoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If you don't want it, don't buy it. There is NOTHING wrong with providing a product or service, at a fair market price, and making a buck while doing so.
Of course, and I said nothing about it. I merely commented how for someone who likes the free flow of goods you seem to dislike free flow of information and comments.

The person whom you chose to deride and spit on might be uneducated in some aspects, but still, he wasn't impolite and merely gave his opinion and asked a question. Why was it ok for you to deride him over 3-4 posts instead of simply explaining your issue or ignoring him?

Quote:
If you disagree with that, then you are about as intelligent as the person who made the ignorant post to which I previously responded.
Quote:
and, you sir (who has 11 posts to your name), are mistaken.
Quote:
Do you consider yourself part of this close knit community? If so, why do you have 11 posts, in 5 years? Not quite a major contributor, are you?
JSWolf has 24,144 posts and has definitely contributed to this community over the past 5 years. That was irrelevant to you when you chose to spit on him. Yet it became the only talking point when you addressed me. It is obviously a strawman you erected to continue treating people who address you politely in a bad manner, ignoring the issue of your rudeness I raised.

Quote:
Now, again, stay out of the thread.
And this is exactly the reason why I commented. You don't rule here and you don't get to order who says what. You have a right to sell here, of course, but this is not your private store where you can censor everything and treat everyone badly.
So yes, I have 11 posts in 5 years. I don't talk much. But that is of my own choosing, and damned if I let people like you tell me or someone else that we are not allowed to talk or ask questions on a public forum that we care for very much.

Now, to address your actual sale, you still haven't replied to JSWolf's question:
Will you provide the buyer with the receipt?
If not, how does that affect the warranty rights the buyer has?
Also, if not, how can the buyer know that this is actually BNIB item and not a refurb from SonyStyle bought for $150?

Also, while the rarity of the PRS-950 effects its high resale price, that rarity is partly due to Sony not providing new stock because of impending refreshment of their reader lineup, predicted to occur next month. Considering those models will be an improvement over the current lineup, and that it is expected they'll have somewhat lower prices, an informed person will be less inclined to rush into this deal.

Having said that, I do hope you will get a decent sum for reselling these readers, good luck. Also, I hope you'll learn to address people in a more positive manner, even when you think they don't deserve that.

Last edited by Tomoe; 07-17-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Closed Thread