Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-14-2011, 03:48 AM   #31
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I've been in the market lately for an epub compatible reader and after doing all the same window shopping I had done before getting my K3, I've chosen the PRS-350. The silver was/is a minus for me also, but that shortcoming doesn't amount to the shortcomings of the other readers I had considered.

If the silver doesn't prove to be too much of a distraction, I'll just live with it. However, I'm getting keen on the idea of a skin and may wind up buying one just to have it. I'll probably go for something black or a nearly black British racing green.

However it goes, after doing a few pretend touchscreen page flips on my Kindle last night, I'm know I'm ready either way.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #32
pete_1967
Connoisseur
pete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony PRS-650
When I decided to buy mine, I tried and checked the silver, black and blue in the shop and didn't like the artificial feel of the coloured paint on black & blue so got the silver and haven't had any trouble with reading in any conditions, or any reflections distracting me to apoint I'd want to cover the frame.
pete_1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_1967 View Post
When I decided to buy mine, I tried and checked the silver, black and blue in the shop and didn't like the artificial feel of the coloured paint on black & blue so got the silver and haven't had any trouble with reading in any conditions, or any reflections distracting me to apoint I'd want to cover the frame.
Some don't have a problem with it, while others do. It's an individual thing.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:34 PM   #34
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I imagine it might be annoying if you use a book light. IMO a book light is a must.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:43 AM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Totally agree. I feel the same way and that's one of the reasons why I went with a Kindle over a Sony or Nook. I hate non-black/dark blue borders. I also hate the added expense of skinning.

I'm in the market for a black ePub reader for library books. I have my eye on Kobos being clearanced out at closing Borders stores. Currently at $70 and hoping they'll drop to $50 or $60 before selling out.
Well, I changed my mind. I went to a Borders store that was closing to get a Kobo. While there, I decided to try out the Sony Pocket (other two models sold out). The Sony blew the Kobo out of the water. What now - Kobo for $60 or Sony for $108? Long story short, I went with the Sony.

Now I have to deal with that shiny silver border. It's quite distracting and bothers me. A bit of black tape or shelf liner should do the trick.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #36
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
For those of you who are interested, here's my 350's custom skin using Decal Girl's Blue Lacquer design. I chose that shade of blue because I felt it would render the peeking silver details less offensive (though I hadn't counted on the crudity of the outline):

It seems to go rather well with the official blue case, as indeed the original blue 350 was intended to do.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-19-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:59 AM   #37
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Post-script: I now have a different skin on my PRS-950 but bought the blue for it as a backup. I might still put it on. The 950 skin is much better thought out, and even has a slot for the serial number, but people haven't complimented the "mystery" design the way they do my 350's blue lacquer. It's a bit gimmicky for me, a bit like themed wallpaper in a scary person's home.

People love the 950's pebbled brown Platform Jacket case and the 350's skin, in that order. (I've had people at readings yell their desire for the PJ.) They also love the official case in the sense it's unobtrusive and contributes to the 350's look of solid but lean portability.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #38
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I can't resist commenting in this thread.

I bought a pink 350 a few months ago. It came with a free case with light which is a great freebie at a $49 list price, but not what I wanted, unfortunately. Nice if I ever wanted to read in bed with it (but I have other readers for that) and probably not worth changing the cover when I have clip on booklights anyway. (I'm a little afraid of overusing those plastic spindles and seriously, I'd have to kill myself if one snapped off.)

After checking out the options (few) and making do with a bulky case meant for the 300, I reluctantly concluded that I had to spring for the official 350 case, as the only one which maximized the elegance and portability of the 350. I wasn't happy about the price or the general flimsiness, but it was still the best option. I found a discounted case and I'm content. Still, case prices are a shocking percentage of the device price.

I just got my "as-is" Platform jacket to use on my 950 and it's gorgeous and looks pristine to me. It's also very emotionally satisfying to have a $15 "as-is" jacket on a $129 refurbed reader. I'm still not sure how I feel about the silver surround. It looks lovely against the gray lining of the Platform jacket, but will glare from the surround bother me? Dunno yet. I'm contemplating a skin; the price seems exorbitant relative to how cheaply I've managed things so far, but if I lurve the 950, I will probably indulge at some point.

As an aside, I also have a couple of Javoedge covers for my original Nook which will work on the 950. They're not ideal in terms of access to the buttons on the face of the device, but it's doable and the swipe is fine.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #39
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Sorry you went through all that with your 350, especially since you ended up with the same choice I was able to make in the beginning (since the store had one official blue lighted case left).

So glad you were able to pick up a Platform Jacket for your 950, and so glad you're happy with it. I thought M-Edge had run out completely, having watched the rest of the colors and textures disappear. Haven't used the black, but I daresay it's perfect for most people; I sprung for brown pebbled leather, which is what I use most, as well as a green, which I also use, and the marbled red, which is gorgeous and feels excellent but isn't necessarily the best choice for an Edwardian-haired man with man-bag who lives in a neighborhood that doesn't understand men who accessorize in red.

I find the gray to be gorgeous against the silver, and looks equally good against a skin if you choose one that works with your reader's inevitable silver outlines. That's why I chose blue lacquer, but that's also because it goes with the brown, the green and the navy blue pebbled pocket case which also fits the 950 but which isn't being sold any more and is, after all, just a sleeve.

Anyway, glad you love the case. May all our 950 owners get the chance to pick one up before it's too late. Keep in mind they'll probably be gone for good next time M-Edge runs a store-wide sale.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #40
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Both my 950 and 350 are silver. I really, truly, dislike it. It looks cold, techy. The black 900 suited me much better. I promised myself I would buy skins from DecalGirl a long while ago, but never got around to it.

Well, today I finally took the plunge. I got a Van Gogh Starry Night for my 350 and a custom skin - some library bookshelves stacked with books - for my 950. The starry night should go well with my blue 'cover with light' for the 350. Can't wait for delivery!
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #41
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
For those of you who are interested, here's my 350's custom skin using Decal Girl's Blue Lacquer design. I chose that shade of blue because I felt it would render the peeking silver details less offensive (though I hadn't counted on the crudity of the outline):

It seems to go rather well with the official blue case, as indeed the original blue 350 was intended to do.
Sweet! I got the same case, and, as I posted above, waiting for a 'starry night' cover.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #42
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
and the marbled red, which is gorgeous and feels excellent but isn't necessarily the best choice for an Edwardian-haired man with man-bag who lives in a neighborhood that doesn't understand men who accessorize in red.
You just need to edjumicate them! But I do understand. It might be ok if it weren't so... shiny. Me, I love red. My favorite color in a purse. Or shoes.

I'm drooling over the blue lacquer skin, but it's not the best option for my shiny marbled red leather jacketed-950. There's a red dahlia that will probably be mine someday, however. And my bee-yoo-ti-ful pink 350 will remain naked in its overpriced pink jacket, just like the trophy girlfriend who shows up at her sugardaddy's door in a mink coat.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #43
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I just got my "as-is" Platform jacket to use on my 950 and it's gorgeous and looks pristine to me. It's also very emotionally satisfying to have a $15 "as-is" jacket on a $129 refurbed reader. I'm still not sure how I feel about the silver surround. It looks lovely against the gray lining of the Platform jacket, but will glare from the surround bother me? Dunno yet. I'm contemplating a skin; the price seems exorbitant relative to how cheaply I've managed things so far, but if I lurve the 950, I will probably indulge at some point.
I scored the same combination, Issybird, and would be happy to talk about skins with you. I'm still not sure I need one, either, but that hasn't kept me from browsing at DecalGirl. It was helpful to look at skins for the 350 and 650, too, because those screens show text (rather than the standby screen) and help me judge how distracting the design that shows on the bezel would be. I liked the Infinity design that another member put on his or her 950, but unfortunately I feel seasick when my eye start to follow curves along the bezel instead of the text!
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #44
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I think I like that skin even better than the one I got, Milky Way. I wanted something that wouldn't be distracting as well. I had to remove mine though and stick it on again, I had it a bit too close to the buttons on the left side making them hard to press, and it annoyed me enough to pull it off and stick it on again. The first placement had no silver at all around the screen showing, 2nd placement where it got stretched out from pulling it off is how the images are. (Images of the Milky Way skin are in this thread.)

I might break down and order a new skin in Blue Lacquer. I will say though I wouldn't have the reader without a skin after using it awhile now. I took everyone's advice that the silver would have a glare while reading outdoors in the summer, and also when I do read out in the sun, I noticed that the metal gets quite hot, hot enough that I'm glad I have the skin buffer between my fingers and the hot metal. I often wonder if getting that hot will damage the reader in any way, it hasn't yet though.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #45
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I will say though I wouldn't have the reader without a skin after using it awhile now. I took everyone's advice that the silver would have a glare while reading outdoors in the summer, and also when I do read out in the sun, I noticed that the metal gets quite hot, hot enough that I'm glad I have the skin buffer between my fingers and the hot metal.
That's helpful to know, thanks! And the Milky Way skin is one I'm considering. Saddle Leather from the 650 page is the leading contender at the moment -- worn and natural, with some texture.
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote