Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #106
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
I've just read through all seven pages of this thread and would like to know why the 'bonus' short stories referred to earlier are omitted from the UK ebooks?

All I got was the first chapter of the next book (I've now read the first two books). I looked on kevinhearne.com and there is a free short story there called "Clan Rathskeller" is that what was included in US editions? Or am I missing out on others?

Oh yeah and in Hexed? I KNEW I wasn't the only person to like peanut butter with orange marmalade. (sadly, none of my family are likely to read these books.)

Karma to the OP for making me aware of these books - I love them!
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #107
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
i loved the pop culture references to star trek / star wars .
that is what I actually didn't like about the books. in 5-10 years nobody will read these books because they will be filled with data that makes no sense to the current generation [or even us, since popstars, television shows, etc, come and go so fast now].
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 03:16 AM   #108
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks
i loved the pop culture references to star trek / star wars .

that is what I actually didn't like about the books. in 5-10 years nobody will read these books because they will be filled with data that makes no sense to the current generation [or even us, since popstars, television shows, etc, come and go so fast now].
Star Trek was cancelled in 1969 but my 23 year old roommate is a trekkie with many trekkie friends. And there always are Star Trek costumes in the costume shops for Halloween.

I personally know a guy who makes a living selling lightsabre swords on Ebay.

I am not a fan myself, but I doubt if it will fade from the collective memory in the next 10years.

And so what if it does, history in moderate doses rarely offends an intelligent person.

Helen

Last edited by speakingtohe; 10-30-2011 at 03:20 AM.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:51 AM   #109
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Star Trek was cancelled in 1969 but my 23 year old roommate is a trekkie with many trekkie friends. And there always are Star Trek costumes in the costume shops for Halloween.

I personally know a guy who makes a living selling lightsabre swords on Ebay.

I am not a fan myself, but I doubt if it will fade from the collective memory in the next 10years.

And so what if it does, history in moderate doses rarely offends an intelligent person.

Helen
I agree. Star Trek was cancelled before I was born but I still watch the show, love the movies, and tell people to Live long and prosper.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:57 AM   #110
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Live long and prosper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I agree. Star Trek was cancelled before I was born but I still watch the show, love the movies, and tell people to Live long and prosper.

Last edited by alansplace; 10-31-2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: fix graphic
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 12:02 PM   #111
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I finished Hexed last night, and will buy Hammered soon.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #112
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Star Trek and Star Wars still remain prime motivators for kids going into the science fields because they made the impossible seem matter-of-fact, and have engendered the question, "Why can't it be done?" in a lot of young minds.

Inclusion of pop culture references has happened in "great literature" too. Whether the reader gets it or not depends upon how well-versed in the time period he or she is.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #113
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post

I've watched just about every version of Star Trek, with The Next Generation & Deep Space Nine being my favorites. I also loved the the movie, Star Trek (2009).

I know that if they were to create another tv series, I would give it a chance.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:55 AM   #114
KevinHearne
I write stuff
KevinHearne has met Morla.KevinHearne has met Morla.KevinHearne has met Morla.KevinHearne has met Morla.KevinHearne has met Morla.KevinHearne has met Morla.KevinHearne has met Morla.KevinHearne has met Morla.KevinHearne has met Morla.KevinHearne has met Morla.KevinHearne has met Morla.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
I've just read through all seven pages of this thread and would like to know why the 'bonus' short stories referred to earlier are omitted from the UK ebooks?

All I got was the first chapter of the next book (I've now read the first two books). I looked on kevinhearne.com and there is a free short story there called "Clan Rathskeller" is that what was included in US editions? Or am I missing out on others?

Oh yeah and in Hexed? I KNEW I wasn't the only person to like peanut butter with orange marmalade. (sadly, none of my family are likely to read these books.)

Karma to the OP for making me aware of these books - I love them!
Witty Username,

To answer your question, the bonus material was a deal worked out with Random House in the States. Orbit UK didn't make the same deal. However, you are correct: "Clan Rathskeller" was indeed one of the two free short stories included in the US edition of HOUNDED. "A Test of Mettle," which was the bonus story included with HAMMERED, will appear for free on my website in December. "Kaibab Unbound" will remain exclusive to the US edition of HOUNDED.

And people who don't like orange marmalade just don't understand, do they?

Very glad you enjoyed the books; thanks to all for the kind words!
KevinHearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #115
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinHearne View Post

Hey, welcome to MR Kevin. Keep writing stuff! Your books are great and can't wait to continue the story. That is all for now. I'll have to dig through the thread and remember what was on my mind earlier and what questions i had while reading.

thanks
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:00 PM   #116
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i havent read the whole thread but i'd recommend the Monster Hunter International series by Larry Correia. it involves bounty hunters fighting all manner of ghouls. not normally what one pictures when they think of urban fantasy, its a loud, brash, fun series.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #117
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinHearne View Post
Witty Username,

To answer your question, the bonus material was a deal worked out with Random House in the States. Orbit UK didn't make the same deal. However, you are correct: "Clan Rathskeller" was indeed one of the two free short stories included in the US edition of HOUNDED. "A Test of Mettle," which was the bonus story included with HAMMERED, will appear for free on my website in December. "Kaibab Unbound" will remain exclusive to the US edition of HOUNDED.

And people who don't like orange marmalade just don't understand, do they?

Thank you for your explanation - I thought it might be something like that. I'll look out for "A Test of Mettle" next month and maybe "Kaibab Unbound" will also appear there eventually.

The ebook of "Hammered" was only released in the UK two days ago so I do have that to keep me happy for a few days.

Thank you for the books - I was so happy to see there will be more.
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #118
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Smile

Just a head's up for everyone, the fourth book in the Iron Druid series, "Tricked" is being released today.

Quote:
Druid Atticus O’Sullivan hasn’t stayed alive for more than two millennia without a fair bit of Celtic cunning. So when vengeful thunder gods come Norse by Southwest looking for payback, Atticus, with a little help from the Navajo trickster god Coyote, lets them think that they’ve chopped up his body in the Arizona desert.

But the mischievous Coyote is not above a little sleight of paw, and Atticus soon finds that he’s been duped into battling bloodthirsty desert shapeshifters called skinwalkers. Just when the Druid thinks he’s got a handle on all the duplicity, betrayal comes from an unlikely source. If Atticus survives this time, he vows he won’t be fooled again. Famous last words.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #119
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
Bought it and looking forward to reading it tonight!
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #120
Pax
Zealot
Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3, Sony PRS 650
Yesterday I bought Hammered! It will be fun.
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote