Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #31
SmartyPants
Zealot
SmartyPants began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
LBook are still selling it, DADirect still have the Eco Eclipse, you can buy them direct from Jinke..
yeah i can confirm i have definitely seen it being sold as Eco Eclipse here in Australia.
I have always found Buggins's firmware to be the best. Thats one thing i miss - FB2 format and Coolreader.

Here is the latest (i think) version of his firmware:
http://files.mail.ru/5RBT4F
SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #32
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyPants View Post
yeah i can confirm i have definitely seen it being sold as Eco Eclipse here in Australia.
I have always found Buggins's firmware to be the best. Thats one thing i miss - FB2 format and Coolreader.

Here is the latest (i think) version of his firmware:
http://files.mail.ru/5RBT4F

I just put v5setup-20100830 on my Pocket Pro, and I'm still playing around with it. Does this version use both FB2 and Coolreader?

The software you mention is a newer version? If so, do you know how it differs from the version I just put on my PP?

When you mention that you miss FB2 and Coolreader, do you mean because you're now using a Sony 350?

Thanks,
Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 04:38 AM   #33
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Doc, You will love Buggins...latest...Coolreader 3 on the lbook firmware or Buggins latest....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:07 AM   #34
SmartyPants
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The software you mention is a newer version? If so, do you know how it differs from the version I just put on my PP?
When you mention that you miss FB2 and Coolreader, do you mean because you're now using a Sony 350?
the version i posted is from 6 jan 2011, so yeah, it would be the newest. Sorry, but i have no idea how it differs from the one before... i dont have PP anymore, so havent read the thread on on e-book forum in detail. But as far as i know, every new firmware from Buggins is an improvement from the previous version, so i suggest to always install the latest.

yep, no Coolreader and hence FB2 on Sony...
Sony is great in terms of hardware, but unfortunately the same cant be said about the software... no folder system, no easy font change, limited number of font sizes... flexibility is what i miss about using Coolreader. If it cant be installed on Sony, boy, that would be one great device..
Old 01-17-2011, 05:28 AM   #35
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ta for that latest link Smarty...I am still on the summer lbook firmware.... I have seen the 350 up close in Japan but still would take the PP and the PB360 over any Pearl screen just for the functionality.... Viziplex is good enough for the time being...font size, changing fonts (without CSS), setting the margins, emboldening, determining after how many pages a refresh is done, deleting a file, file system, key mapping, etc.... surprised you wouldn't be intrerested in the 360...
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 05:30 AM   #36
SmartyPants
Zealot

actually, reading e-book forum a bit more, it seems like the latest Buggins firmware is still a bit.. well.. buggy! lol
but here another one from biv_sumy:

edit: i believe this might be the Coolreader plugin only, not the whole firlware...
Attached Files
File Type: zip cr3_v5_16012011.zip (988.7 KB, 380 views)

Last edited by SmartyPants; 01-18-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:35 AM   #37
SmartyPants
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
.. surprised you wouldn't be intrerested in the 360...
haha, dont think i wasnt tempted!! Its a very highly regarded reader on a e-book forum. But after my PP has died a violent death squashed between two airplane seats, i couldnt stand being without a reader for long... Sony just came out... i went and checked it out.. loved the touch pearl screen... and the rest is history! Bought it then and there.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:52 AM   #38
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Ta for that latest link Smarty...I am still on the summer lbook firmware.... I have seen the 350 up close in Japan but still would take the PP and the PB360 over any Pearl screen just for the functionality.... Viziplex is good enough for the time being...font size, changing fonts (without CSS), setting the margins, emboldening, determining after how many pages a refresh is done, deleting a file, file system, key mapping, etc.... surprised you wouldn't be intrerested in the 360...

I've got the Kindle 3 for pearl screen.

I have 5 ebook Readers here in Peru, but two are in the U.S. and just need to be sold, one of which is the Sony 600.

My 505 is still here with me, but I never use it. I started out with a Sony 500 as my first e-ink Reader, and then upgraded to the 505 when they came out.

My Kindle 3 is great, and I'm a Kindle convert from having first bought a Kindle 2 (which is now sitting in a drawer here in Peru just in case the Kindle 3 decides to die).

My PocketBook 360 has taken over the Pocket Pro chores. I love the PocketBook 360; it's an incredibly verstatile Reader.

What I'm doing right now with the Pocket Pro is just playing around with it. I'd still sell it if it was easy to do, but being in Peru is fraught with some difficulties. I'd love to trade it in for an extra PocketBook 360 as added insurance.

Don
Old 01-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #39
hidari
MR Drone

Well, On my fourth... the PB360 and have to say it is becoming my number one reader...surpassing the PP ....my 505 and Cybook Gen 3 are sold..... Waiting for the PB360 with the Pearl to come out.... second half of 2011 so the threads seem to indicate.... hope that is true.....
Old 01-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #40
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
I'm not one to call the forum "dead", yet. Sure, there's no significant activity, but then there are no significant (or otherwise) changes regarding Astak ereaders.

Jenifer's reference to "mysterious troubles" does nothing to increase or decrease Astak's reputation -- it's just a reminder that there's more to the story (or lack thereof) than we forum participants know.

Alluding to "Amazon and the like" as perhaps being "Big Brother-ish" might be pushing to the edge of a cliff, but combined with the reference to selling one product at a loss and making it up with another (which is pretty much common knowledge, or at least common assumption) merely points to a certain level of helpless frustration anyone would be subject to when their livelihood is threatened by under-handed competitive practices.

Nope. Until the Astak website sez "Out of Business" (as in, no longer accessible), as far as I'm concerned they are only on an extended forced ereader sabbatical not of their choosing, and I patiently await their next product to see if it is the same level of quality the existing products have proven to be.

Yes. I was as disappointed as anyone, and was at least as vocally negative, but no retailer in their right mind would have let the recent sales season silently pass by if they had any choice in the matter.

If I sit on my PP again and need a replacement, I will unfortunately have to look elsewhere at this time. But barring a required replacement, I am waiting patiently to see what Astak's next product will be.

GO SEAHAWKS!!.

No. Wait, they already went.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #41
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Smartypants, your link in post #31 has some problems with it...I think.

I tried twice to download the file, but it stops downloading of its own accord. Do you have another source on this?

About your other post, I'm a bit confused. Is this an update that needs to be loaded somewhere?

Thanks.

Don
Old 01-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #42
SmartyPants
Zealot

Don,
i would use the file in my post #36. The one in #31 seems to have some issues acoording the e-book forum.
The attachment is post #36 is the zip file of the latest firmware.
I honestly cant remember all the details of the installation of the firmware on pp - havent done it in months. You can use Google translator and check our the e-book.org forum (unless you can read russian lol). Go to the lbook section and check out the LBook V3: Coolreader thread.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #43
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Hey! We should keep this thread going.
This is the most activity that this forum has seen in months :P

Hey Geez, didn't Jennifer say the still sold parts(repairs)?
But not sitting on your PEz sounds like a plan.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:25 AM   #44
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i see i'm not the only one that drops in here twice a week.

you guys may have forgotten, but it wasn't long ago that jennifer was a college intern. she isn't likely to come off as an experienced rep because she isn't one.

true, talking about competitors losing money on their ebook readers didn't sit well for me, either. i mean, couldn't astak rebadge and sell another reader or at least sell ebooks to not only make some money but to keep interest going while they got their issues worked out? even indie and small publisher ebooks if they weren't square with the big publishers.

ah, well - my husband has stopped using his pocket pro. i think my lack of enthusiasm the last couple months led him to not want to use it. i'll be getting him a kindle for his birthday. not at all because of the price, but because of the features, ease of use and attractiveness of the reader itself.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:50 AM   #45
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Hmm, I've stopped looking into the Astek Forum much over the last few months, and while part of it was RL which largely kept me away from mobileread thre were a couple of reasons for the lack of intrest here specificly.

First, as mentioned by others earlier, one of the main reasons I got and enjoyed my Pocket Pro was RobertB's presence, and the conversations he would stir up here. Once he was gone and the circumstances around his departure from Astak came about, it pretty muck killed most of my positive feelings for the company. While I still liked my Reader, I was no longer evangelising it and the company to friends and family.

Secondly I passed on the PocketPro to my mother While Her reader was not available, I've had less interest in messing around with it. Still I do check once in a while, though mainly to check about possible firmware updates.

Still, With many owners including me thinking of switching or already having switched to a new reader there was going to be less activity here. Add the lack of the main factor that got the subforum started kept people coming back its what happens in a lot of forums.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote