Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #1231
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohtse View Post
It would be great for nothing more than quick ref when teaching
I can see that, too. I've definitely been thinking of the Touch as just a e-reader, and not considering the extra uses of an e-ink device. I'm glad I asked the question!
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #1232
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Have a lot of maps I refer to for work....and all my manuals etc are on the ereader as lot smaller than my droid tablet and lighter so unless I need the tab I have now started prefering the kobo... so jpeg support would be useful...
To check my memory, I just did a factory reset on my Touch. After the update, I was at 2.5.2. I dropped six JPEGs onto the device. All were added to the library and displayed OK. I then sideloaded 2.6.1. Again, the six JPEGs were displayed OK. I then added another six of various sizes. All were added to the library and displayed with no problems. There shouldn't be a difference with 2.6.2, but I don't have that to test.

That says it should be working. Where are you putting the JPEGs? The device won't process anything added to the .kobo directory. Are there any other books missing?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #1233
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What size are the JPEGs? How many pixels? What colour depth?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:18 AM   #1234
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
To check my memory, I just did a factory reset on my Touch. After the update, I was at 2.5.2. I dropped six JPEGs onto the device. All were added to the library and displayed OK. I then sideloaded 2.6.1. Again, the six JPEGs were displayed OK. I then added another six of various sizes. All were added to the library and displayed with no problems. There shouldn't be a difference with 2.6.2, but I don't have that to test.

That says it should be working. Where are you putting the JPEGs? The device won't process anything added to the .kobo directory. Are there any other books missing?
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr for some reason I thought Joegs didn't work hence the feature request.... sideloaded them a they worked!!!! so thats great... now the other features would complete the touch..
lohtse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:19 AM   #1235
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What size are the JPEGs? How many pixels? What colour depth?
the jpegs worked as to depth etc eeeer uummm not sure as they are os maps...
Old 10-26-2013, 04:21 AM   #1236
lohtse
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Screen resolution on the Touch is going to be your limiting factor (esp if there is text on the map) but just drop one onto your Touch and give it a shot and see how it works for you (capability is there).
For quick ref the limitations are fine...and have found can actually see the text ok(ish) its only the really small details that are a problem!
Old 10-26-2013, 05:11 AM   #1237
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
For quick ref the limitations are fine...and have found can actually see the text ok(ish) its only the really small details that are a problem!
I tried last night after reading the posts. Certainly the Touch is capable of showing jpgs, but contrast is a big limitation on what can usefully be shown (presumably promoting the call for contrast control). Maps etc would need to be chosen with care, or adjusted in an editing program before it would work for me. Flow-charts etc would work well though.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #1238
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hi, I've just acquired an Aura HD (I'm coming from my good old PRS-650) and my Christmas wishes for features in a future firmware would be:
  • There's no GoTo Page function. (And yes, I know that "page numbers" are quite artificial in epubs but they are still faster and more accurate than the small sliding bar that Kobo interface offers).
  • IT DOESN'T SUPPORT NESTED ToCs !?!?!?! (Yes, upper case, bold font and red colour completely intentional). Nested items are fully flattened to just one level... What were Kobo crew thinking about? I just cannot believe that this feature is not implemented. (More over, I really thought that Sony people were nearly dumb because of the no-way-to-access-the-parent-item-in-a-nested-ToC bug that, at last, PRS+ guys were able to fix; but the Kobo people have achieved a brand new mark in the trying-to-do-the-most-absurd-thing-you-can-imagine award). Because of this lack of support, a completely detailed ToC with a lot of fine detail (and where the e-book author has probably spent quite a lot of time and effort) just becomes a mess of twenty pages...
  • Footer is somehow too big. You are loosing quite a lot of room in a wonderful big screen. What's the point of this wonderful screen if you are half-wasting it? And it becomes worse in kepubs (or in kepubized epubs through Calibre KoboTouchExtended plug-in) because of the addition of a header... Can you put size tweaking options, please? (And obviously a fully hiding option would be just fantastic).
  • An option to override the font type ONLY when the epub/kepub doesn't have internal CSS styles with font settings already set. (Or even better: ONLY where the epub/kepub doesn't already set them; I mean, when some of its CSS styles do set the font in some <p> but not in other <p>, just change the font in the latter ones).
  • Zooming options on embedded images. As example I suggest that when long-pressing on a image you get a pop up window with options on the image.

OTOH and a bit off-topic. Aura HD is quite faster and with an incredible better resolution than my old PRS-650, (and the pdf viewer is just in another league even without reflow). BUT I must say that the PRS-650 white is clearly whiter than the Aura HD one although both of them are using Pearl e-Ink technology. (Maybe the layer for the light is somehow darkening the screen?)

Last edited by arspr; 10-29-2013 at 06:12 PM.
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:37 AM   #1239
lohtse
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
Hi, I've just acquired an Aura HD (I'm coming from my good old PRS-650) and my Christmas wishes for features in a future firmware would be:
  • There's no GoTo Page function. (And yes, I know that "page numbers" are quite artificial in epubs but they are still faster and more accurate than the small sliding bar that Kobo interface offers).
  • IT DOESN'T SUPPORT NESTED ToCs !?!?!?! (Yes, upper case, bold font and red colour completely intentional). Nested items are fully flattened to just one level... What were Kobo crew thinking about? I just cannot believe that this feature is not implemented. (More over, I really thought that Sony people were nearly dumb because of the no-way-to-access-the-parent-item-in-a-nested-ToC bug that, at last, PRS+ guys were able to fix; but the Kobo people have achieved a brand new mark in the trying-to-do-the-most-absurd-thing-you-can-imagine award). Because of this lack of support, a completely detailed ToC with a lot of fine detail (and where the e-book author has probably spent quite a lot of time and effort) just becomes a mess of twenty pages...
  • Footer is somehow too big. You are loosing quite a lot of room in a wonderful big screen. What's the point of this wonderful screen if you are half-wasting it? And it becomes worse in kepubs (or in kepubized epubs through Calibre KoboTouchExtended plug-in) because of the addition of a header... Can you put size tweaking options, please? (And obviously a fully hiding option would be just fantastic).
  • An option to override the font type ONLY when the epub/kepub doesn't have internal CSS styles with font settings already set. (Or even better: ONLY where the epub/kepub doesn't already set them; I mean, when some of its CSS styles do set the font in some <p> but not in other <p>, just change the font in the latter ones).
  • Zooming options on embedded images. As example I suggest that when long-pressing on a image you get a pop up window with options on the image.

OTOH and a bit off-topic. Aura HD is quite faster and with an incredible better resolution than my old PRS-650, (and the pdf viewer is just in another league even without reflow). BUT I must say that the PRS-650 white is clearly whiter than the Aura HD one although both of them are using Pearl e-Ink technology. (Maybe the layer for the light is somehow darkening the screen?)
eeeer um not to be picky but wrong thread!!!!!

Still loved the points you made thought!!!!

regards
Lohtse
Old 10-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #1240
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
eeeer um not to be picky but wrong thread!!!!!

Which is the correct thread then? The Kobo one: Kobo future firmware feature request thread?

I thought that, in a similar way to Calibre Driver plugins, the plain Kobo thread was for the OLD Kobos and the Kobo Touch thread was for the rest (the newest ones).

Could any one guide me, please?
Old 10-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #1241
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post

Which is the correct thread then? The Kobo one: Kobo future firmware feature request thread?

I thought that, in a similar way to Calibre Driver plugins, the plain Kobo thread was for the OLD Kobos and the Kobo Touch thread was for the rest (the newest ones).

Could any one guide me, please?
I think the comment was about how you said it. Your comment more on what you think is wrong, not on what you want to see. Because of that, your post would have been more appropriate in the "Impressions" thread. And yes, we can probably work out what you want, but it is better to explicitly state that.

Last edited by davidfor; 10-30-2013 at 10:00 PM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:09 AM   #1242
lohtse
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I think the comment was about how you said it. Your comment more on what you think is wrong, not on what you want to see. Because of that, your post would have been more appropriate in the "Impressions" thread. And yes, we can probably work out what you want, but it is better to explicitly state that.
nope it was because he was refering to a Aura HD not a touch!!!
Old 10-31-2013, 05:18 AM   #1243
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
nope it was because he was refering to a Aura HD not a touch!!!
I may be wrong (I've just done a quick search on "aura hd" and "aura hd requests in the forums), but there isn't a specific thread for Aura requests, so arspr made a good judgment call. It doesn't mean one couldn't be started, of course, as long as the firmware is sufficiently different from the other models (I don't know, because I haven't looked at the Aura yet). If not, it could perhaps be made clearer which thread deals with each model.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #1244
arspr
Dead account. Bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
I may be wrong (I've just done a quick search on "aura hd" and "aura hd requests in the forums), but there isn't a specific thread for Aura requests, so arspr made a good judgment call. It doesn't mean one couldn't be started, of course, as long as the firmware is sufficiently different from the other models (I don't know, because I haven't looked at the Aura yet). If not, it could perhaps be made clearer which thread deals with each model.
Yes, that's what I thought. I mean, I am a complete newbie in Kobo but from the market search I made before buying my new Aura HD, I got the impression that all the new Kobos share more or less the same GUI and features. So a feature request in any of them is probably going to be completely valid in any other model (or valid but some minor tweaks).

Of course if that's not the situation (very different features in each model), some moderator should start a new Firmware Request thread for each of them.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:37 PM   #1245
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
There are now GUI differences between the Touch / Mini, and the Glo / Aura HD / Aura devices.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote