Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
poppynogood
poppynogood began at the beginning.

Device: M92 Black Pearl
Finally! PDF Scissors has answered my prayers

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to bring up this program because it does what I've been yearning for for months now. The program is at http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfscissors/.

It's free and lightweight and it allows you to 'chop' scanned, landscape photocopied double pages (as you often get for academic purposes) into single pages. And it arranges them in the correct order too! I can read any ugly, ancient photocopied pdf on my Onyx Boox M92 with ease now

I have had one difficulty with it however. Once I've 'scissored' my file into a lovely, legible pdf with single pages, running any sort of OCR on the pdf causes it to double up ALL the pages and go completely out of order! This happens in both Adobe Acrobat Pro and ABBYY Finereader Express.

Does anyone know why that might be?
poppynogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I don't know but I can guess. Most of these PDF choppers & croppers don't actually remove anything. To chop a double page in half they duplicate the page and adjust the viewable area only. So one page has a 'window' only on the first half and the second page only on the second half.

I believe Adobe Acrobat Pro is one of the few programs with an option to actually remove the 'invisible' parts, but as I no longer have it installed I can't remember the exact command. Maybe a current user can oblige.

Edit: I think it was something like Examine Document followed by Remove Hidden Text

Last edited by jackie_w; 10-06-2013 at 12:33 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Actually, you get what you're looking for with briss, only that one works just fine with Acrobat OCR...I use it all the time...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:54 AM   #4
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Actually, you get what you're looking for with briss, only that one works just fine with Acrobat OCR...I use it all the time...
Thanks.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Yeah, I use Briss when I only have the option of PDF for a book and I want to get rid of those pesky margins. Great little utility.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote