Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #76
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@knc1:
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #77
vlamark
Junior Senior Member
vlamark began at the beginning.

Device: K2 & K5
Question. I wanted to use Serbian or Croatian TTS but, ofcourse, there is no such thing. However, I've found that Slovak language is similar enough. So was wandering. What should I do to use available Slovak TTS files to read Serbian and Croatian books?
vlamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #78
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamark View Post
Question. I wanted to use Serbian or Croatian TTS but, ofcourse, there is no such thing. However, I've found that Slovak language is similar enough. So was wandering. What should I do to use available Slovak TTS files to read Serbian and Croatian books?
I doubt that you will get terribly good results, but the easiest way to try it is to set your books' metadata to pretend that they are in slovak - gluggy's Java Mobi Metadata Editor should be able to do that easily.

That assumes that you already have the slovak (sk) TTS pack installed, of course. Otherwise, you'll just get gibberish with an american accent

Otherwise, you *might* want to try the slovenian (sv) pack as well. At least geographically, I would think that slovenian might be a bit closer to croatian/serbian than slovak, but I could well be wrong (ja tylko znam polski... which works amazingly well in Slovakia, but I only understand about 1/3 when in Croatia - but yeah, that's still better than nothing )
Old 11-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #79
vlamark
Junior Senior Member

Yes, Slovenian is much better option, but I haven't known that sv is Slovenian. Is there a way to fool slovenian tts to think that it is croatian (or serbian)?
Old 11-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #80
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Yes, Slovenian is much better option, but I haven't known that sv is Slovenian. Is there a way to fool slovenian tts to think that it is croatian (or serbian)?
Not that I know. It's much easier to fool the device into thinking that the book is in slovenian, by editing the book's metadata accordingly. Just try it out.

But as said, don't expect too much anyway, the TTS voices are all rather "mechanic" (and probably even more so if they were designed for a different language from the book they're reading...). Oh, and don't even think about making the slovenian TTS read a book written in cyrillic
Old 11-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #81
vlamark
Junior Senior Member

Thank you. I'll start reading this thread and readme files right now, to see how exactly to install slovenian tts. It means a lot to me.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #82
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
As one old fool dives headlong into the shallow end of the pool . . . .

You might be able to get an idea of the results by comparing the phonemes of the languages.
http://www.language-archives.org/ite...gial.edu:26930
http://www.language-archives.org/ite...wals.info:1592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
That assumes that you already have the slovak (sk) TTS pack installed, of course. Otherwise, you'll just get gibberish with an american accent
Which might still have some humor value to listen to.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #83
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Which might still have some humor value to listen to.
Oh, definitely. It actually sounds funny most of the times - you really need to get everything right to even make it sound familiar to a native speaker... Just read the last few lines in my original README.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #84
vlamark
Junior Senior Member

Slovak language is closer to serbian/croatian then slovenian. But files are glitchy
Old 12-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #85
nick-tech
Enthusiast
nick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: kindle touch
Hello Guys,

on my Kindle I changed the the male/female inscriptions to the refering languages, that worked together with jbpatch. So instead of male/female it says Englisch/Deutsch. The Problem is that I don't remember which file I had to edit (its about a year ago...)

Now I'd like to do the same for my mothers kindle and I'm wondering if anyone has an idea what to do?
nick-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #86
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-tech View Post
Hello Guys,

on my Kindle I changed the the male/female inscriptions to the refering languages, that worked together with jbpatch. So instead of male/female it says Englisch/Deutsch. The Problem is that I don't remember which file I had to edit (its about a year ago...)

Now I'd like to do the same for my mothers kindle and I'm wondering if anyone has an idea what to do?
You don't clearly state what your problem is. If it's about the descriptions, then install JBPatch and use the UI to change the descriptions. If it's about the language files, dowload and install the correct files
Old 12-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #87
nick-tech
Enthusiast
nick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned offnick-tech can read ebooks with the screen turned off

It is about the descriptions, I don't know which file(s) I have to edit
Old 12-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #88
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-tech View Post
It is about the descriptions, I don't know which file(s) I have to edit
Use the UI. You don't have to edit any files.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #89
nick-tech
Enthusiast

ah, ok. On my kindle I still have an old version of jbpatch, I didn't know that the new one has an UI.
Great job ixtab, thank you
Old 02-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #90
peepo
Enthusiast
peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peepo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k5
Is there a simple way to pipe | output to be read?

apologies for nooby questions,

thrashing about, but suppose that piping text to be read may be of use to me...

also is there a standard way to ensure text is read as characters?

ie non words such as SW8 5RZ if that isn't too easy...

thanks again
peepo is offline   Reply With Quote