Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-02-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
Fallingwater
Enthusiast
Fallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura about

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus
Text file formatting - line feeds and spaces

The epubs I have on my Opus are ordered by author, but while I can remember the titles, I have problems remembering who wrote what. Since their number is quite high, I used a directory listing program to make a text file containing everything, so I can open it in the reader and instantly see the book titles related to each author.
Problem is, the text file reads just fine on my computer, but it comes out as a jumbled mess on the reader. The line feeds aren't there, spaces longer than one character get reduced to one... it's an unreadable mess.
Why, and how can I prevent this?

I uploaded the file here, in case it's needed. As you can see, the browser renders it perfectly. *sigh*
Fallingwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle-3
1) Open the file in your web browser
2) Select "all" to highlight the entire page
3) copy
4) Paste into Notepad (assuming you're on a Windows machine)
5) Save
6) Use this new file for you reader
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Fallingwater
Enthusiast
Fallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura about

Tried that already. Didn't work.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle-3
Hmm...worked fine for me. Are you saving as ANSI text? You might want to try a couple of different encoding formats. I don't know what else it could be.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Does your reader claim to support .txt files?

Last edited by susan_cassidy; 07-03-2011 at 06:58 PM.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
Fallingwater
Enthusiast

It does.
I tried saving in all three .txt formats that Notepad/Wordpad allow, and no change.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
Faster
Connoisseur
Faster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of lightFaster is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS 650
Copy the list into Sigil (Book View). Go to Code View. Copy everything from <html> downwards. Save in Notebook. Change file extension to .html. Load into your reader. Or simply save as .epub from Sigil.
Faster is offline   Reply With Quote