Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 04-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #16
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
Yes, and it is very simple. For the record, the XDA forum instructions scared me and I spent a lot of time reading them. The instructions I followed are here: http://nookdevs.com/NookColor:_CyanogenMod_Installation and it took about 20 minutes and worked flawlessly.
Thanks for the link. Those directions were short and to the point. I'm now running cm7. Goodbye B&N software.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #17
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Mark me very underwhelmed with the 1.2 stock update. I'm in the process right now of burning the emmc installer and CM7 to SD for a permanent install on the NC. Don't really care if I lose the B&N functions, since I've found myself rarely using them anyway.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #18
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
Mark me very underwhelmed with the 1.2 stock update. I'm in the process right now of burning the emmc installer and CM7 to SD for a permanent install on the NC. Don't really care if I lose the B&N functions, since I've found myself rarely using them anyway.
I'm kind of here, too. I don't want to lose the B&N stuff, but I don't actually USE it either.

Actually, there is ONE thing I use the B&N stock reader for: magazines. I hear they don't work in the nook android app? Does anyone know of a way to access the magazines without using the NC stock reader??

I can't even download them directly from the site like you can the books.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #19
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I'm kind of here, too. I don't want to lose the B&N stuff, but I don't actually USE it either.

Actually, there is ONE thing I use the B&N stock reader for: magazines. I hear they don't work in the nook android app? Does anyone know of a way to access the magazines without using the NC stock reader??

Coincidentally, I just cancelled all my magazine subscriptions from BN. Instapaper lets me save things for later off the Web anyway. Look into an app called iPaper for Android.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #20
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
Coincidentally, I just cancelled all my magazine subscriptions from BN. Instapaper lets me save things for later off the Web anyway. Look into an app called iPaper for Android.
I will definitely check that out - looks like something I would like, thanks!

Not quite a solution to the "no magazine" problem, though - I liked having the B&N cooking magazines to read through, and would hate to lose those. Still, the siren call of CM7 is quite strong at the moment...
Old 04-27-2011, 09:49 AM   #21
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobits View Post
If all you want to do is run the stock rom rooted and prevent autoupdates, easiest way seems to be to change the db parameter to manual.

Code:
# sqlite3 /data/data/com.bn.devicemanager/databases/devicemanager.db
sqlite> update registry set value='manual' where name='com.bn.device.fota.mode';
sqlite> .q
# reboot
Just saw this, thank you! This would be in the command line app that autonooter puts on the device? (Terminal Manager, I think it's called?)
Old 04-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #22
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
I will definitely check that out - looks like something I would like, thanks!

Not quite a solution to the "no magazine" problem, though - I liked having the B&N cooking magazines to read through, and would hate to lose those. Still, the siren call of CM7 is quite strong at the moment...
Get the Epicurious app and download articles to iPaper. I am an avid cook and that's how I handle it.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #23
DiannaInVA
Enthusiast
DiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobits View Post
If all you want to do is run the stock rom rooted and prevent autoupdates, easiest way seems to be to change the db parameter to manual.

Code:
# sqlite3 /data/data/com.bn.devicemanager/databases/devicemanager.db
sqlite> update registry set value='manual' where name='com.bn.device.fota.mode';
sqlite> .q
# reboot
I think I'm a bit lost...I checked on XDA to see if there were additional directions, but am having a hard time sorting through the posts.

Does anyone know of good step-by-step directions to make these changes? The name of the app needed, where to type in the above text, is an sd card needed, etc.
DiannaInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #24
DiannaInVA
Enthusiast
DiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Nook
Ah....hold on....I did some searching here, and found a post from Feb. I'll give this a try:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122378

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyluree View Post
Try this:

Required Apps:
- Root Explorer (in market)
- SQLite Editor (in market)

Process:
1. Open Root Explorer
2. Open devicemanager.db from (/data/data/com.bn.devicemanager/databases/devicemanager.db)
3. Select "registry" - this should open up a spreadsheet looking file
4. Find row: com.bn.device.fota.mode
5. Drag over to the column labeled "value"
6. Press and hold "auto" until the "Actions" window pops up
7. Select "Edit Field"
8. Replace auto with manual
9. Select "Save"

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=946969

Should be just as easy to set back to auto....
DiannaInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #25
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:

Ack! Oh no! I was just about to install CM7 before I read this. Darn it. I don't know what I would do without my monthly National Geographic and Everyday Cooking magazines.

Maybe I need to think this over some more ...
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #26
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
Ack! Oh no! I was just about to install CM7 before I read this. Darn it. I don't know what I would do without my monthly National Geographic and Everyday Cooking magazines.

Yeah, that's the one thing I'm having trouble getting around too.

I'm going to Google some more - there HAS to be a way to read B&N magazines without having to use the NC stock reader.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #27
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post

You can dual boot 1.2 and CM7 if you want, or run CM7 from an SD Card.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #28
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

So here's my thought, and someone tell me if this had been done before:

1. The B&N magazines can be downloaded to the Nook Classic, I believe. (Format seems to be epub, from looking online.)
2. The Nook Classic can be hooked up to a computer and the epubs can be grabbed off the Nook Classic device and moved to computer.
3. The epubs could then be transferred to a tablet running Aldiko, which should be able to read the B&N DRM format.

Has anyone tried this?

If not, I'll try tonight when I get home.

Last edited by anamardoll; 04-27-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #29
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
So here's my thought, and someone tell me if this had been done before:

1. The B&N magazines can be downloaded to the Nook Classic, I believe. (Format seems to be epub, from looking online.)
2. The Nook Classic can be hooked up to a computer and the epubs can be grabbed off the Nook Classic device and moved to computer.
3. The epubs could then be transferred to a tablet running Aldiko, which should be able to read the B&N DRM format.

Has anyone tried this?

If not, I'll try tonight when I get home.
Well, that worked not at all! I was assuming the magazines could be downloaded to the Classic reader, since I get little "YOU HAVE A NEW PERIODICAL" notices on my classic reader every month, but no.

Trying to download on the Classic, it just says "Format Not Supported, this item cannot be purchased, downloaded or read on your NOOK."

How annoying.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #30
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
You can run CM7 from a SD card without installing it to internal memory. That way, you can still boot from your stock ROM when you want to read magazines. I'll probably pick up a NC next week when they show up at Staples, and that's what I'm planning to do, possibly transitioning to a stock/PhireMod dual boot on internal memory once I've had a chance to try out my options.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote