Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
davtay
The Continental
davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Question about sharing books in Calibre

I was wondering how I could take books from my library and share with my Dad in his Calibre library. Say I have 10 books from a certain author, and I have set all the metadata and covers, what would be the best way to transfer them to my Dad and have all the metadata saved? Would I use the Save To Disk function and save to USB drive, then import to his Calibre library? Or, should I just copy the author folder in my Calibre library and import to his? I'm trying to make this as simple as possible for him. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David.
davtay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Use save to disk and make sure you have the setting set to write the metadata opf file and cover with the file.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
davtay
The Continental
davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you user_none. Will it save them as a folder with just the .mobi files under the author's name, or a folder with author's name then subfolder with the book title? Reason I was asking is that to add to his library could I just open the author folder and add the books or will I have to open each individual subfolder to add them?

I thank you for your help and Kovid, yourself and the rest of the Calibre team for a wonderful and amazing program.

David.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
davtay
The Continental

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Use save to disk and make sure you have the setting set to write the metadata opf file and cover with the file.
Sorry, to be so much trouble, would that be to have the save cover separately box unchecked, the update metadata in save copies checked, and the save metadata in OPF file unchecked? As I do not see a option to save both with file.

David.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
You don't want to just import into your dad's library by pointing calibre to the existing files in your library because you won't have all or correct metadata.

calibre only writes metadata to a file when save to disk or send to device is used. Also, no format includes all of the metadata calibre supports. By using the option to write the metadata opf with the bok when usung save to disk you will have all of the metadata in th opf file. So when you import it into the new library it will rad the metadat from the opf file and you will have it all.

I can't remember all of the options for how books are setup with save to disk off the top of my head. But I believe there is an option to save everything to its own folder and there is a corresponding add option to read each book in subfolders.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
davtay
The Continental

Thanks again for your help. I will experiment with it by installing Calibre on my laptop. I should have already put it on there.

David
Old 01-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
davtay
The Continental

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
.... and there is a corresponding add option to read each book in subfolders.
THIS is what I needed. I did have the folder with cover and metadata files, I just couldn't get the add button to give me the option to find them. Then I was a little unsure which option to use but figured it out.

Thanks again for your help.

David.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
chrismmm
chrismmm began at the beginning.

Device: android
sharing

SMEs (subject matter experts).

I searched a few times on the forum without success and was looking for a way to share my library with my family members. I do this now with music without any issues and would like to do the same for my ebook collections.

Is there a windows or mac web based gui for calibre?

I have used calibre for a few months and have the latest version 0743 loaded up now. And looking for a way to share. I am aware of the email capability and that does not meet my need.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Chrismmm

Last edited by chrismmm; 01-31-2011 at 03:06 PM.
chrismmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:56 PM   #9
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Take a look at the content server, that's probably what you're looking for.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote